Most economical older motorhome engine

DocMartin

I am considering buying a motorhome made around 1989 - 95. My particular choice at the moment is one of the Autosleepers - probably a Talisman. Which is the most economical on fuel?
Ford, Talbot, VW, Peugeot, diesel or petrol? Don't tell me it depends how I drive it, I want to know if there is one particular engine that is better than the others.

prob any thing with the sofim engine ,fiat or iveco 2.8 or the older 2.5 but try and avoid a van with front overhang as this alone will cause drag.
my iveco 2.8 old type engine 30mpg at 6.4 ton 50mph.

Last edited:
I have a 1991 fiat ducato 2.5 td 3 axles,7.4m long,4t max weight and get 27 mpg at 65-70mph on motorways and same at 55-60mph on other roads, hope this gives you a clue

Yes, your answers so far have been very useful. Thanks. So I can expect fuel consumption to be about the same as my 1.3 Hijet Romahome.

In 1990 I had a VW T25 1600 Diesel non turbo from brand new, fully kitted out with just about every Westfalia/Reimo campervan fitting available, so it was well loaded up even before adding going away gear. Never driven in anger it returned just over 47mpg in mixed driving conditions... 55,000 miles over 3 years.

94 Hymer mercedes 4.6 tonne 27-30 at 55-60, 19-20 with car on trailer, 2.9 non turbo merc, used to have a 2.8 iveco that used to average 25 with large trailer and 2 race cars.

fiat ducato 2.3

hello doc, I am getting around 43mpg out of my 2003 fiat ducato deisel 2.3jtd..trigano tribute......theres not many vans will do more, just touring france and spain now, and the tank gives a 600 mile range, so I can keep topping up with cheap supermarket deisel.......go for it man.......steve bristol

1991 VW 2.4D (AAB) - averaged about 33mpg since I started keeping records about a year and a half ago.

Best was 37mpg (dutch motorways!), worst 25mpg (fractured high pressure fuel pipe!)

That's on a Westfalia conversion of a T4, probably 2 and a bit tonnes. Dead simple engine though.

Hi DocMartin,

I would also ask about Chassis rot from members on here as it's nice to have a good engine but not so good if the Chassis has had it.

Snowbirds.

I am considering buying a motorhome made around 1989 - 95. My particular choice at the moment is one of the Autosleepers - probably a Talisman. Which is the most economical on fuel?
Ford, Talbot, VW, Peugeot, diesel or petrol? Don't tell me it depends how I drive it, I want to know if there is one particular engine that is better than the others.

citroen relay 2.8td iveco

Tag axle just over 4ton loaded averaging 30mpg plenty of power

Hi DocMartin,

I would also ask about Chassis rot from members on here as it's nice to have a good engine but not so good if the Chassis has had it.

Snowbirds.

Being an ex bodyshop supervisor/panelbeater/paint sprayer I can easily spot chassis rot/coverups and filled door bottoms and sills and know all the tricks.

The only van I've ever had that did more than 30 to the gallon was a H reg Romahome C15 - 1.8 diesel engine - 46 mpg averaged over the two years I had it.

Wish I still had it.

Friend had a Honda mini pickup with a body on it ( Romahome?) It was SOOOOO BAD, he dumped it. The baby engine 600 or 800 cc worked so hard to go over 40mph is was flat out for everything, everywhere. did about 20mpg.

My 1.9td Fiat only gives about 25mpg on the motorway at about 55-60 and top speed of 70 but hey ho I love it too much to ever consider parting with it. :drive:

Well, I've got my heart set on an Autosleeper Talisman so, it seems I can't expect to get more than about 30 mpg whatever the engine model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back