Moss and pine resin.....

milton

I have tried to search the forums for some advice but failed to find anything on this subject, so please forgive me if it is there already.

Just returned from six months in the van (Movano Hi-top) while working, mainly living under pine trees, and now trying to do the annual clean. (Yes, I know it should be done more often but it's a bit tricky away from home sometimes due to lack of a hosepipe, ladder etc!)

How do you get moss off the plastic roof of these vans? So far I have used car shampoo, in ever-stronger mixtures, scrubbing with a long-handled brush and a kitchen mop, but the stuff is proving difficult to remove. I assume you can't stand on this type of roof so it also a bit difficult to reach. The roof generally looks manky and a bit like my garden in places. I am unvwilling to try anything too strong in case it takes the paint off.

On the bodywork I also have what I assume is pine resin - it looks like blobs of creamy coloured chewing gum but is rock hard and won't shift.

If anybody can suggest an economical way to clean moss and resin off I would be grateful.
And I promise to put a good coat of wax polish on afterwards.....and clean it a bit more often.....honest!

I use 'Wet & Forget' on the roof of my van to stop it going green - and it can also be used to clean the green off. It is expensive to buy (in 5 ltr cans) but you have to dilute it so I will never need to buy it again! All you do is spray it on, on a dry day and leave it .... the rain does the rest! It is also useful for pathways and patios! It only needs doing once a year - or twice in extreme circumstances! Sorry, I haven't tried it on resin!

Caravan cleaner - am sure you'd pick some up cheap on ebay

WD40 is the best stuff for cleaning off pine resin, although I have never tried it on resin that has set hard.

Aldi

I know its not always available but a few months ago I bought some caravan cleaner from Aldi I've used several traffic film removers over the years and this is as good as any I've tried for black streaks and green algae may suit your purpose I dilute it 1 ltr bottle with 10 ltrs water and use a long handle car wash brush finish with Aldi wash and Wax

WD40 is the best stuff for cleaning off pine resin, although I have never tried it on resin that has set hard.

I should further qualify that by saying that WD40 certainly gets stick Pine resin off of your hands. Not sure what it may do to the finish on your van!

Well right or wrong all I have ever used on our cars and vans is DAZ brings up white paint a treat and gets rid of black marks.

:drive: :drive:

Well right or wrong all I have ever used on our cars and vans is DAZ brings up white paint a treat and gets rid of black marks.

:drive: :drive:

Used to use vim on white paintwork worked wonders ,can you still get vim :anyone: ,Shawbags.

Thanks folks for all the suggestions.

I have now managed to shift the encrusted pine resin with alcohol based hand cleanser - works best in the sunshine when the resin is a bit softer and we had a lovely warm day today so I tried it. A few applications and light rubbing and it seems to have done the trick without marking the paint.

As for the moss, being a cheapskate I will probably try the aldi stuff if I can find some.
The van now looks as though somebody loves it again - just don't look too closely or climb on the roof!

Use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Wear gloves because it will hurt any cuts and grazes you might have. :D

Clean the affected area then wash off with plenty of water (because of the acidic nature of the white vinegar).

You will only have to do it once. My van has not been affected again since I did this 4 years ago, the algae has not returned.

Thanks folks for all the suggestions.

I have now managed to shift the encrusted pine resin with alcohol based hand cleanser - works best in the sunshine when the resin is a bit softer and we had a lovely warm day today so I tried it. A few applications and light rubbing and it seems to have done the trick without marking the paint.

As for the moss, being a cheapskate I will probably try the aldi stuff if I can find some.
The van now looks as though somebody loves it again - just don't look too closely or climb on the roof!

You too? I think my "roof garden" is very eco-friendly & I am waiting for my mushroom crop to ripen.

You too? I think my "roof garden" is very eco-friendly & I am waiting for my mushroom crop to ripen.

and perhaps the 'roof garden' will act as insulation like those ones you see on 'Grand Designs'......

Some good suggestions here, I have a few blobs of pine resin on the roof of my Hymer too, brought them all the way back from Biscarosse, I was going to try WD40 or even brake cleaner if they prove stubborn.

We suffered a serious dose of resin deposits on the Canal Du Midi some years ago. We tried everything, until a French guy working at a boat hire base suggested 'Eau de Javel' (thin bleach) and warm water as they have to remove it every week!
Worked a treat and we have never used anything else since.
John

Some good and not so good suggestions here (avoid the domestic cleaners).What ever method you choose, make sure that you give the roof a coating of good quality wax (some of the marine stuff is best). Its not an easy task but once done it should make removing further droppings a bit easier in the future.

My Mum bought one of these NEW Steam cleaners off the shopping channel but they forgot to tell her about all the small bits and pieces that come with it and how hOT it can get. First time she tried it it scared her to death. Well she is in her 80's so she gave it to me. Never used it until the other night when I was trying to clean the tiles in the kitchen behind the hob. All I can say is it's brilliant. Gets very hot and does a good job. May be worth a try if you can borrow one.

Used to use vim on white paintwork worked wonders ,can you still get vim :anyone: ,Shawbags.
I haven't used vim but Jif ( or Cif as it is now called) cleans white paint, you have to polish well afterwards though, WD40 is excellent for black streaks and sticky deposits

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back