Morrisons bought by US private equity group

just blame the public of the past.
cant blame the young public of today as they were taught by their older parents .
mind these days internet is the cause of many shops and companies going under.
buy local pay with cash , use the banks ,post offices etc or they will all close.
the world changes , yet folk never really learn why.

just blame the public of the past.
cant blame the young public of today as they were taught by their older parents .
mind these days internet is the cause of many shops and companies going under.
buy local pay with cash , use the banks ,post offices etc or they will all close.
the world changes , yet folk never really learn why.
Woman entering full time work but the men also staying in full time work I consider to be a crucial point in time when some of the woes of today's society began. Not knowing your neighbours, babies in nursery full time, only time enough to do your shopping in one place, less time/energy to prep and cook quality food etc etc

Woman entering the work place was not a bad thing and two salaries until prices caught up must have been very rewarding but if we were to have our time again, with hindsight would we choose for one of us to stay at home I wonder :unsure:

As an ex butcher ( until I came to my senses) I like to think I can recognise good cuts of meat, most supermarkets stock some decent cuts but a lot do stock rubbish. Morrisons are good for Ox Cheeks and the cheaper cuts of beef. Lidl steaks are good, I'd you go for the 36 day matured rib eye or sirloin although only Scotch beef is stocked by them up here. Scotch lamb and pork is good wherever you buy it.

Unfortunately independent butchers are scarce up here and seem to stock meat covered in flavourings.

Everyone seems to have skipped over cost. An awful lot of families in this country can only afford to shop in supermarkets and far too many can’t afford that either.

I also disagree that it’s parents taught their kids to do anything, I never taught mine to eat Macdonalds, KFC or all the other poor nutrition fast food outlets and certainly didn’t teach them to spend £10 on a cup of coffee or any of the other stupid fads. :)

Ten pounds for a cup of coffee? Even in Padstow and in the Eden Project it is only just over three pounds. We have a Morrisons supermarket as our corner shop (400 metres away, half that without their car park to cross) but no LPG. Mind you nearest place I have found it is Saltash. We like Morrisons generally but they do fail to stock a few things we like and they put garlic in their beef burgers. Butcher in town sells lots of beef burgers in the barbecue season as a result.

Can't argue with any of that . Laziness , in my case , means I don't shop out with supermarkets often enough .
Tbf to Morrison's my comment about their meat was in reference to the fact they sell things like oxtail , shin etc . Some butchers don't stock these cheaper cuts nowadays
I adore oxtail but it's not a cheaper cut here anymore since several TV chefs "discovered" it :(

Whether it’s the lack of LPG outlets, butchers, food prices, two parents working, high streets empty or no aires this side of the Channel, it’s called Capitalism! It operates in every country on Earth and is sadly/happily, ( delete as req.), here to stay.

We no longer buy meat from supermarkets after discovering a local farm shop that does both game and non-game. The difference in taste and texture is miles apart, it is particularly noticeable with chicken and bacon. The meat isn't pumped full of water, preservatives or hormones, much of it is organic and it consistently wins awards for it's quality and it's standards.
The price is about 30% - 40% more but we have found that we eat less because the meat is denser and more filling.

I have tried a few vegetarian meat substitutes but just cannot find anything that suits my palate, although the Plant Living range of foods is acceptable. However, in the last couple of months we have decided to go veggie twice a week and I have managed to knock up some tasty meals using dried beans, lentils and different rice's. Hopefully it will also keep the doctor off my back who has been pecking my head about my cholesterol which remains high.
Light bulb moment, it has just occurred to me, because of going veggie twice a week it offsets the increase in price of the meat we buy. DOH.

Jaysus, it feels like I have 'come out' admitting that I eat veggie twice a week! :(
There should be no hormones in Uk or EU beef. USA completely different, but bizarrely enough I’ve had farming friends say how much they enjoyed their steaks there.

We find Aldi meat is very good and certainly a quantum leap over Tesco.

We have a Morrisons in Carmarthen but I find them pricey but their fresh stuff is tasty (bread rolls, sausage rolls, pasties etc). We will use any of the big supermarkets when away in the MH...any with a big car park that is but at home it's Aldi and Tesco. (Tesco for the points which we convert in to tunnel vouchers).

There are loads of different "meat-substitutes" available now and I have found some are very good and others just don't work (for me).

For sausages, Richmond's make quite poor (IMO) 'normal' sausages compared to what is around. However, for some reason their veggie sausages are brilliant.
Jackfruit makes a very good meat substitute in enchiladas and the like (because it is "fruit", ADSA stock it next to the tinned peaches and pears, etc :rolleyes: )
One of my favourite options is Oumph! pulled BBQ. (https://oumph.uk/portfolios/pulled-oumph/). ADSA and Morrisons stock it. It has the texture of frided chicken, I would say. Something that you can literally get your teeth into (too many veggie options are too soft when you bite them. The Oumph has some resistance).
I tried some Beyond Meat burgers (available from Sainsbury's) a couple of days ago. They cook just like meat burgers (the fat tray in the George Foreman was doing its job collecting juices (what juices I am not sure, but the burger was cooking exactly like a 'real' burger would))
I have been checking the protein content of some of the new meat substitutes and was surprised at how low it is in many of them. The soya based ones are ok though.
Can't see the point in eating them if I am not getting adequate protein...

I have been checking the protein content of some of the new meat substitutes and was surprised at how low it is in many of them. The soya based ones are ok though.
Then simply choose alternatives that do. Most people get more than enough protein in their diet.
What about the fat content of most processed meats? be certainly getting enough of that ;)

Then simply choose alternatives that do. Most people get more than enough protein in their diet.
What about the fat content of most processed meats? be certainly getting enough of that ;)
I was thinking of people who have recently taken up veganism and maybe don't think to check the nutrients.

There should be no hormones in Uk or EU beef. USA completely different, but bizarrely enough I’ve had farming friends say how much they enjoyed their steaks there.
What's good for you and what tastes good are not the same thing, as I often say to gf "This tastes so good it can't be good for me" :)

Dipping into a bowl of mixed nuts a couple of times day is a very quick and easy vege protein hit and nuts contain other goodies, I'm not into diet stuff enough to remember what though :(

I hope they continue to make their superb light sponge cakes, we only get them now and then but delish.

Oh and continue to sell LPG and even extend it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back