More 12v stuff!

nichodia

Hi there, perhaps someone could help me out a bit here, My van has a normal towbar socketf and another which I presume would give power to a caravan?
Does anybody know if this means that there is already a split charger in place? Or does it depend on how the plug is wired?
Chhers
Di

hi nichodia
i take it you are talking about a MH and not a car.just ive never heard off or seen a MH pulling a caravan.:confused:
anyway their are two sockets on my MH one for toeing trailler etc the other is for a security wire that you tie around your bicycles and is linked to the vans security alarm.

hope this helps you:)

Itis actually a swb renault master van that I am in the process of converting. It has a grey 12s socket as well as the usual 12n towing socket. I was wondering if this meant I already have a split charge relay in place? If so where would I look for it or how can i track it down?
Cheers
Di

a right, my mistake your fault :rolleyes:

hi DI in my MH all relays original to MH and additional are all in the engine bay in or around the fuse box.that's about as far as my knowledge of wiring would be.i will try to answer your next question better??? :eek:

Ah well! At least you managed to tell me where to start looking! Cheers
Di

Probably the easiest way to test if the 12s socket has been fully connected (many are fitted but only partialy used) is to check for power at pin4, this is the centre bottom (6 o'clock) pin on your 12s socket. Connect a meter or bulb from this pin to earth.

1):- Lights up without engine running - permanent live feed, reliant on caravan fitted smart relay or manual switch.

2):- Only lights when engine running - Split charge relay fitted and working.

3):- Doesn't light - not connected or not working

If "2" above shows relay to be fitted try looking around the battery area, it will be an "add on" I'm 99% sure it won't have been an original fitment. Most likely their will be an obviously added wire connected to the battery positive (+) terminal, follow this for a probable location.

Word of advice, even if system is already fitted don't assume that it is suitable, all too often the wiring and connectors are inadequate and usualy the reason for poor performance and chargeing of leisure batteries. At the Scottish meet I sorted a little problem for Lenny and couldn't believe how thin the wiring used was, and this looked to be the original fitted when the motorhome was biult.

You also may find this useful, standard wiring for 12S socket and cable colours. Clockwise when viewed from front.

Pin1 top (12 o'clock) female:- Reversing light or brake cutoff system. Yellow.

Pin2 (2 o'clock) male.:- Spare. Blue.

Pin3 (4 o'clock) female:- Earth. White.

Pin4 (6 o'clock) female:- Powerfeed for auxiiaries or split charge. Green.

Pin5 (8 o'clock) male:- Warning light. Brown.

Pin6 (10 o'clock) female:- Fridge. Red.

Pin7 (centre) female:- Spare. Black.

Although this is the current recognised set up sometimes "variations" are found, I also think their may have been an earlier version when 2 feeds were used, one permanent (pin4?) and the other switched/relayed (pin2?). Not certain on last point but may be worth doing above test on pin2 (and pin7) as well.

Brilliant! Thank you! I will go out tomorrow morning and check all the above.
Thanks
Di

I'm wondering if you can help me with the wiring for my A-Frame tow-car, surely I should have relay switching from my motorhomes electrics to the tow-cars electrics. There isn't any relay switching and the whole thing seems a mess but does work.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back