Mobile internet on laptop?

PaulC

Hi

Is there anyway of getting on the internet via a mobile and laptop on a PAYG scheme, like I have with my mobile, because I am a quite light user of the internet and not interested in using wi-fi, etc. "3" seem to have a scheme were it's £10 for 30 days which appears to be the closest, however in their small print there is a considerable charge for going over the limit. How can they do this if it's not on a contract? I'm suffering from "information overload" because I seem to have read so much and been to so many stores (which were not really helpful), which has left me totally confused. The truth is out there, what is it?

Hi

Is there anyway of getting on the internet via a mobile and laptop on a PAYG scheme, like I have with my mobile, because I am a quite light user of the internet and not interested in using wi-fi, etc. "3" seem to have a scheme were it's £10 for 30 days which appears to be the closest, however in their small print there is a considerable charge for going over the limit. How can they do this if it's not on a contract? I'm suffering from "information overload" because I seem to have read so much and been to so many stores (which were not really helpful), which has left me totally confused. The truth is out there, what is it?

Hi PaulC,
I could not agree more with the confusing state of affairs that exists. It is not helped by the rapidity of change.
I think that it needs one of the Magazines to do an in depth study of the whole thing instead of the endless articles praising the products of their advertisers.
Wilbury

PCPro edition 166 August 2008 devotes a complete article to this

Last edited:
Hi,

If your phone & laptop have bluetooth on them, otherwise you'll have to use a dongle.
Install your phone as a bluetooth modem.
On PAYG subscribe to GPS on your network or find a PAYG supplier who doesn't limit this.
Use the default settings for your provider & hey presto your done.

It's cheap to email using this method but expensive to browse & download data.

Vodaphone do a mobile phone card either on contract or as PAYG.

Hope this helps :)

Probally not what you want,,,but i have a 3 dongle which costs me £15 a month,,,i am quite heavy with my useage and i use it everywhere i am in the van,,i never get close to the 3gb limit,,,also i have never had a problem with getting a signal..3 do a payg dongle and you top up as needed..

hth.

I have a T-Mobile phone on PAYG which has internet access on the phone. I use it as a modem for my laptop. Maximum charge of £1 per day for unlimited use (Im propably breaking there T&Cs by using it as a modem.) You can get a 5 day pass for £2.50 which virtually lasts for 6 days.

Been lucky with reception so far and can get 3G

Thanks for the replies. I've been around the major stores and they came up with zero, looks as though they want to sell what they want to in the shops!

Hi

I've bought "PCPro edition 166 August 2008" and unfortunately it does not deal with genuine PAYG broadband. so it looks like it doesn't exist! It looks like the "3" 1GB for 30 days is the nearest, but over the last 9 months I've used just 166MB (I have a counter), no downloads etc, not a lot but it does me for emailing and looking at a few favourite sites. So as I'm going to upgrade to a laptop then I guess thats the way to go!

I have a T-Mobile phone on PAYG which has internet access on the phone. I use it as a modem for my laptop. Maximum charge of £1 per day for unlimited use (Im propably breaking there T&Cs by using it as a modem.) You can get a 5 day pass for £2.50 which virtually lasts for 6 days.

Been lucky with reception so far and can get 3G

You shouldn't be breaking any terms & conditions as mobiles are designed to be used as mobile modems.

If you can get reception then just use it & browse the web.
I've used my mobile phone as a modem for years. Very handy when your parked up in the middle of nowhere & you need to send or receive an important email :)

Hi

I have a mobile laptop modem with 3 and find them very helpful. Every time you log in you can get your exact usage on the dial up screen so that you can watch what you use. I would suggest you make a note of your needs and give them a call. They are better able to give you d good deal over the phone as you can negotiate with them. good luck. Penny

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back