Mobile Data in Lieu of Broadband via BT – Open Reach

Two unrelated questions. To the question about a Windows phone, the answer is "don't". Even Microsoft is giving up on them. Android is excellent. Far, far better.

I will put a caveat on that, some Android phones are better, my Windowsphone is one month 'out of date', there are very few Android phones as up to date with security, and most of them never will be, you can go out right now and buy a brand new Android and unless it's from a manufacturer like Samsung, Nokia, Google etc, it will most probably be out of date security wise and it's a lottery as to if it gets updated.

There have been issues since the weekend, and on Sunday, in the storms, it was very iffy indeed. But that may be due to network reconfiguration. Instead of ping times aroung 38ms, I was seeing 200ms times, starting at the third step of the tracert. In my area, Three said they were dealing with a "complex network issue" (whatever that means). Since that notice disappeared at the weekend, speeds have been more variable. I suspect that the storms have affected some of their microwave backhaul links.

At least 3 have replied with 'something' to you. My experience over the last few days is that it is like getting blood out of a stone to get any information at all. As the signal has gone steadily downhill for months, I reckon I will be fobbed off anyway.

Actually, this ,might be a good time to ask a technical question.

I now use a Huawei B315 Mifi (having ditched the phone line several years ago). On the back of it are a number of sockets including a USB one. Despite searching online, I cannot find its purpose. I also have a long range aerial which I used in the van to boost any weak signals such as FON and free wifi. It has a USB plug (which I used to plug into my Netbook). I am just wondering if I can plug it in to my Huawei router to boost the 3 signal.

Any information will be appreciated. ;)

I will put a caveat on that, some Android phones are better, my Windowsphone is one month 'out of date', there are very few Android phones as up to date with security, and most of them never will be, you can go out right now and buy a brand new Android and unless it's from a manufacturer like Samsung, Nokia, Google etc, it will most probably be out of date security wise and it's a lottery as to if it gets updated.
I wasn't commenting about how up to date they are. I am saying that Android is far better than Windows Phone/Windows Mobile.
Yes, you can buy cheap phones that won't get updates, but you can also buy cheap phones that will.
Huawei and Redmi make cheap Android phones that are good and are updated.

At least 3 have replied with 'something' to you. My experience over the last few days is that it is like getting blood out of a stone to get any information at all. As the signal has gone steadily downhill for months, I reckon I will be fobbed off anyway.
Sorry, I may have misled you. Three didn't tell me this: the information was on the network status page when I put my postcode in. I've never tried to contact Three support.

If you are seeing declining network speeds, you may need to adjust the modem settings. Some people find 3G faster than 4G because of congestion. I don't.
However, my router (a Huwaei 525) does CA for downloads that gets me the best speeds, but to do that it has to use both Band 3 and Band 20.
Sometimes it then reverts to Band 20 as its main carrier, which is really slow. So I generally leave it set not to use Band 20 at all. This limits the download speed to a bit over 40, but stops it getting stuck in the slow channel afterwards.
I also have a directional antenna, which lets me choose the best base station. This is not the nearest!

Last edited:
I now use a Huawei B315 Mifi (having ditched the phone line several years ago). On the back of it are a number of sockets including a USB one. Despite searching online, I cannot find its purpose. I also have a long range aerial which I used in the van to boost any weak signals such as FON and free wifi. It has a USB plug (which I used to plug into my Netbook). I am just wondering if I can plug it in to my Huawei router to boost the 3 signal.

Simple answer: No. Two completely different things.

Te first hit on a google search of "huawei b315 manual" should get you to the quick start manual for the version that Three use (they have locked out some features), otherwise go to the horses mouth at https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/routers/lte-cpe-b315/ for a similar quick start manual for the generic version.

The USB port is for either plugging in a USB memory stick to create a network attached storage device, or a printer, to be shared over your network. SAMBA protocol.

You may or may not be aware that there is a cover on the back which conceals two connectors for external antennae to improve the signal. Huawei have a pair of small ones, or you could use another bigger one.

By the way, a B315 is not a mifi , it is a modem/router.

However, there are drawbacks.
The latency is much higher. The FTTC was about 18ms, the Three broadband is about 38ms latency. The IP address changes fairly often, though the addresses are routeable public addresses which work with DDNS services.
Outgoing phone calls work very well, with the phone line plugged into the router, but their caller ID shows the mobile number of the broadband (which does work for incoming calls). Dialling out takes about 20 seconds, during which there is no ringing tone: every outgoing call felt like a leap of faith at first. The router drops back to 3G for the duration of the voice call, so speeds are lower for the duration.

If you are in an area where your network (such as Three) where VOLTE is supported (voice over LTE i.e. 4G), and have a more modern router that supports that, and has an analogue phone socket (RJ11) that has not been disabled by e.g a mobile supplier's locked down firmware, then things should run more smoothly because it doesn't have to fall back onto 3G for voice calls.

Three call this "4G Super Voice".

Huawei do have things like the B715 that can do this.

Last edited:
I do know about the external aerials but I don't know how much of an improvement I will get indoors. As my current signal strength is poor I may still end up not much better off. I would prefer to wait until I get a new supplier before spending more money. There are external aerials with the correct fittings for the Huawei which I have looked at.

I do know about the external aerials but I don't know how much of an improvement I will get indoors. As my current signal strength is poor I may still end up not much better off. I would prefer to wait until I get a new supplier before spending more money. There are external aerials with the correct fittings for the Huawei which I have looked at.
Mine came with little external aerials (about five inches long), but I also have a high-gain directional one. That is about 15" square, and improves the signal strength by about 8dBm which is significant. However, although it is an external antenna, it is inside the window because that's far easier and seems good enough. Perhaps one day, I'll try it outside.
On the motorhome, the mifi has an external omnidirectional antenna, which is fixed to a pole that's meant to have a TV aerial on it. Generally, I leave it down, so the aerial is only a few inches above the roof, and no higher than the rooftop aircon, where it gets better signal strength and better speed compared to the built-in antenna.
In good signal conditions, sliding the mast up makes only a small difference. Not enough to be worth the bother.
In places where the mobile signal is poor, raising the antenna by about four feet above the van's roof line makes a marked difference and brings in good signal nearly everywhere. That was just as true when the sim was an EE one.

When I was looking at getting the 3 home WiFi setup Jim they did an option of having external aerials installed on your house to improve signal. Not lookedrecently to see if they still offer it

I wasn't commenting about how up to date they are. I am saying that Android is far better than Windows Phone/Windows Mobile.
Yes, you can buy cheap phones that won't get updates, but you can also buy cheap phones that will.
Huawei and Redmi make cheap Android phones that are good and are updated.

Huawei now ship with a open access version of Android , and the new phones no longer have access to Google apps.
Redmi update the MIUI skin weekly, but are renown for being very poor on actual Android updates

Huawei now ship with a open access version of Android , and the new phones no longer have access to Google apps.
Redmi update the MIUI skin weekly, but are renown for being very poor on actual Android updates
The Huawei version of Android is probably better, if you are concerned about privacy. My Redmi phone has the Android updates (with security patches) from the end of November.

Mine came with little external aerials (about five inches long), but I also have a high-gain directional one. That is about 15" square, and improves the signal strength by about 8dBm which is significant. However, although it is an external antenna, it is inside the window because that's far easier and seems good enough. Perhaps one day, I'll try it outside.
On the motorhome, the mifi has an external omnidirectional antenna, which is fixed to a pole that's meant to have a TV aerial on it. Generally, I leave it down, so the aerial is only a few inches above the roof, and no higher than the rooftop aircon, where it gets better signal strength and better speed compared to the built-in antenna.
In good signal conditions, sliding the mast up makes only a small difference. Not enough to be worth the bother.
In places where the mobile signal is poor, raising the antenna by about four feet above the van's roof line makes a marked difference and brings in good signal nearly everywhere. That was just as true when the sim was an EE one.

I feel the same, I don't want to start drilling holes through external walls. :confused:

Especially if it makes little difference.

The Huawei version of Android is probably better, if you are concerned about privacy. My Redmi phone has the Android updates (with security patches) from the end of November.

You are on a sticky wicket I think with say a Huawei phone, which were (and still are I think) cut off from the Google infrastructure since Trump took against them.

I wouldn't touch anything that did not have access to the Google Play Store.

I've been using Motorola (well Lenovo) for many years, and found them very good, solid hardware, not expensive. Currently running a Moto G6. Buy a current model and they promise Android updates for at least 2 years, and regular security updates which they do push out regularly. Mine got Android 8 > 9 pretty much as soon as it was out.

Very clean version of Android, little bloatware added, never mind massively tailored "launchers". As I said pretty much pure.

Also running an Iphone 5s which is still supported and regularly updated. I don't particularly like it, but it has an essential feature for me which is WiFi calling, essential inside my house where there is no signal on any network, so dependent on my landline broadband for that. Only a few rather expensive Android phones have that natively, worth checking that if you think it might be important to you. E.g wan't to use it on London underground, or somewhere with WiFi but no mobile signal.

Three used to have an app for WiFi calling on Android, but stopped supporting that a while ago, which was a bummer, hence why I have the Iphone, gifted by a relative locked into the contract/upgrade/proprietary Lightning connector (unreliable) Apple ecosystem. Battery life terrible.

Last edited:
i ditched my landline mainly because out in the sticks BT couldn’t get a signal strong enough to use their superfast broadband , i have an huawei cube it’s alexa and a router has a sim and can connect multiple devices the deal i have is £25 a month unlimited data etc , thanks to advice on here i power it from a usb & carry it with me and it consistently connects when phones don’t even in portugal, although it has a roaming limit jan’s phone is also 3 & i have 2x 24gb internet with legs as a back up not used them in 2 years of 6 months travelling ,

You are on a sticky wicket I think with say a Huawei phone, which were (and still are I think) cut off from the Google infrastructure since Trump took against them.

I like Huawei. Best RF performance in the business. They may not come with Google apps any more (mine did) but you can add them if you want. I have a Play Store .apk somewhere.

Do your homework. I'm not talking about the security of the internet data but the billing systems, customer records etc. TalkTalk messed up really badly with that a few years ago. Hopefully they have learned from that.
TalkTalk messed up really badly TWICE, leaking customer details, but neglected to tell their customers.

If you are in an area where your network (such as Three) where VOLTE is supported (voice over LTE i.e. 4G), and have a more modern router that supports that, and has an analogue phone socket (RJ11) that has not been disabled by e.g a mobile supplier's locked down firmware, then things should run more smoothly because it doesn't have to fall back onto 3G for voice calls.

Three call this "4G Super Voice".

Huawei do have things like the B715 that can do this.
It's available, but my router doesn't support it. I don't make more than two or three calls a month: not worth worrying about. Mostly calls out are mobile (1p per minute) or free (VoIP) All calls on are the same.

I've been using Motorola (well Lenovo) for many years, and found them very good, solid hardware, not expensive. Currently running a Moto G6. Buy a current model and they promise Android updates for at least 2 years, and regular security updates which they do push out regularly. Mine got Android 8 > 9 pretty much as soon as it was out.

Very clean version of Android, little bloatware added, never mind massively tailored "launchers". As I said pretty much pure.

Also running an Iphone 5s which is still supported and regularly updated. I don't particularly like it, but it has an essential feature for me which is WiFi calling, essential inside my house where there is no signal on any network, so dependent on my landline broadband for that. Only a few rather expensive Android phones have that natively, worth checking that if you think it might be important to you. E.g wan't to use it on London underground, or somewhere with WiFi but no mobile signal.

Three used to have an app for WiFi calling on Android, but stopped supporting that a while ago, which was a bummer, hence why I have the Iphone, gifted by a relative locked into the contract/upgrade/proprietary Lightning connector (unreliable) Apple ecosystem. Battery life terrible.

I got my first Motorola around the early 90s,I've had numerous since then,I've actually never owned any other brand of mobile,I've currently got the G7 which I think is superb for the money. For some reason it's a brand you don't hear about very much and although they've changed ownership over the years they've always produced quality and competitive prices phones imo.

This is what you need. Simply take one end of the string and attach it to the first can and then run the other outside to the nearest telegraph pole. Climb up it and attach the other end of the string to the other can and then wrap it round the wire on the pole. Stick your mifi inside the can in the house and bobs yer uncle.

screenshot-737.png

I guarantee it will work.

To repay me for this free advice could I ask that you get someone to film the install and ask them to post it afterwards on here so others can benefit please?

No, Dont thank me.

I guess you have already tried this but you have tried putting your B315 outside and as high as possible ?

At a static caravan with a aluminium body, I used to put the mifi outside in a tupperware box on the roof to improve the reception :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back