Mobile Data in Lieu of Broadband via BT – Open Reach

Dowel

I am fed up with my broadband from Plusnet and thinking of replacing my BT landline with mobile data.
My line had gradually become noisier and slower over time despite Plusnet assuring me noise on the line did not affect broadband.
In the first week of December 2019 I started to suffer frequent dropouts. I bought a new router following advice from Plusnet and they adjusted their settings several times. Eventually, on 21st January, the second Open Reach engineer sent to fix the problem found water and a poor connection in one of their cabinets. The line is still slow but now much less noisy and does not drop the connection so frequently.

Open Reach can provide a fibre connection (FTC) on the edge of our village with my final connection via the existing copper overhead wire. Plusnet would charge a little less than I currently pay for my slower connection but significantly more than they would charge a new customer which puts me off.
I think that using a data SIM in a mobile would be cheaper, faster than my existing connection and could be used away from home. Coverage maps from the mobile network suppliers and OFCOM suggest that there is a good signal at my location from Three.

I could borrow long term a Samsung Galaxy Ace mobile but am not fond of Google and Android things.
I rather fancy a Nokia Lumia 640 XL Windows phone.

So question 1 is: Any comments and advice on Windows phones?

Question 2 is about using a mobile to download data to update my Garmin maps.

The Garmin Express System Requirements specify:
High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)

I have asked Garmin to clarify whether this excludes tethering a mobile to my PC and await their reply.

In the meantime has anyone tested this requirement? I will need to be able to update my Garmin periodically.

I have no experience of Windows phones so cannot comment on that however ............................

One of our members has got rid of his landline completely and uses a MI-Fi with a data sim to access the internet.

He has said many times that he cannot update his Garmin through it and takes it to a relatives house to use their fixed line broadband connection.

This is particularly the case when doing one of the big quarterly updates which can be 8GB+.

I`ve done a couple of small software updates on my Garmin whilst away in the motorhome using my phone to tether to but they were only a few MB`s.

I would try a one month contract or PAYG sim before you sign a contract in case it does not work.

I use a windows phone running windows 10, it does what I want, but they are falling out of favor :)

I would try a one month contract or PAYG sim before you sign a contract in case it does not work.

I use a windows phone running windows 10, it does what I want, but they are falling out of favor :)

I'd agree with that, get say a Three 321 PAYG sim and top it up, or sign up for a one month rolling Smarty contract (they are also Three) and give it a whirl before cutting off your landline.

Living off just a mobile phone may superficially seem attractive, but it's not an option unless you are a single person, and even then could be a poor one.

If you do decide to go mobile data for broadband at home, then a 'phone is not a great device to use. So you are into mifis or proper routers, but then you need two contracts, one for that device, and another for your phone for voice and text etc. Or get really complicated and sign up to a VOIP service for the voice calls.

Personally I've been with Plusnet (now owned by BT) for many years and before that Metronet, and found them excellent. Responsive, UK call centres (Sheffield and Leeds), pick up the 'phone quickly if you don't call at the busiest times

They can do a lot of diagnostics from their end, and if they think that there is something wrong with their router will send you a new one for just the postage cost. I'm very surprised that they suggested you buy your own one. If they think it's a line issue then they send in Openreach to investigate, who are actually quite competent.

Since you have fibre to the cabinet you do have the option to upgrade to a higher speed, but that just depends on how far the copper wires then run to your place.

Sites such as https://www.thinkbroadband.com can give you comprehensive information about what you can expect at your home based on real life user tests. And your own speedtests there. No point forking out for a higher speed package if you are at the end of a long line from the cabinet, there is only so much that ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ etc. can do.

In which case maybe mobile data could do it better, but try an experiment first.

Also agree that Windows 'phones have little traction and diminishing. Android and Apple (spit !) is the way the world is going, so better get used to it.

Regarding Garmin updates I would not know, but my systems regularly warn me of "network change detected" using mobile data, which might be something to do with the connection hopping about between cells. Never see that on the landline broadband, but there again I have a fixed IP address from Plusnet for other reasons, you just have to ask and you'll get one.

Last edited:
You can buy a open phone librem 5 ,ubunty edge and many more which are not run by windows or android with google spyware,they run pure android ,ubuntu or sailfish.
I am using talktalk here on f/optic and it costs £22 all in using bt lines ,works 100%

I can’t help or pass info on large file downloads, I run android and have ran iPhone via 4g on EE with no issues. I am on a 12 month contract unlimited calls , txt and 100 go of data pay £23.15 per month inc vat. I tether/ mobile hotspot laptops and latterly an I pad and have had no issues.

Re phones, I have found I phones in terms of quality far better than anything else but having to pay for apps and the limited number android is far better. Window phones are old hat the daughter had one and more trouble than it was worth,

I hope this is of use

I use 3 unlimited data in the van have no problem with large downloads over it. I have the data sim in a router which may be the difference. I know on my iPhone there are settings to restrict large downloads to save you getting big bills, these can be disabled on iPhone.

I don’t have a Garmin so can’t comment on that but I have downloaded and installed updates around 6Gb on my MacBook a few times when installing new beta OS’s.

I can’t help or pass info on large file downloads, I run android and have ran iPhone via 4g on EE with no issues. I am on a 12 month contract unlimited calls , txt and 100 go of data pay £23.15 per month inc vat. I tether/ mobile hotspot laptops and latterly an I pad and have had no issues.

Re phones, I have found I phones in terms of quality far better than anything else but having to pay for apps and the limited number android is far better. Window phones are old hat the daughter had one and more trouble than it was worth,

I hope this is of use
There are lots of free or lite apps on the App Store Andrew, I only ever pay if I wanted a specific app that is markedly better than the free options and then never more than a couple of pounds. The big difference between IOS and Android is Android is open source, however this can be a double edged sword, you get a lot free and have the ability to tweak things but it’s at the cost of security for the average user.

we use plusnet on the flat broadband and phone line, whoever the contract is with they all use the same bt openreach phone lines, unless your on a cable tv network.

at the workshop weve got a mobile router, use a 3 data sim, the router has 4 ethernet ports and wifi to connect to so is same as a wired router to use. this particular one has twin detachable arials so you can add extension cables and stick them outside, ours is just sat on the desk and works fine. about 2 miles from the village i reckon our mobile broadband is better than the wired in the nearby bungalow. its a tplink something and was about 70 quid a couple of years ago.... bt quoted in excess of 3k to run a line in.

I'd give windows phone a miss there's a lot of apps that won't work on them. 12 months ago we cancelled our BT landline and now use have a Huawei router on a unlimited 2 yr contract with 3 every thing works as it did before and we can take it away with us as it works off vans 12v supply and Garmin updates are fine

Last edited:
We have recently moved our landline broadband from BT to TalkTalk as BT were not prepared under any circumstances to give us the same deal that they give new customers. We also have unlimited 4g data on our phone.

The issue for us is that even when we are away we still need broadband at home to remotely control devices, alarms and view cameras. We did consider a home 4g modem from Three but ultimately (rightly or wrongly?) felt landline broadband was more reliable when away. Ok it may only be a comfort factor but so be it.

Having unlimited 4g when we are touring the UK is of course very nice to have. It may even encourage us to do more touring in the UK than we would otherwise do. This of course maybe forced upon us from 2021 onwards in any case! :(

Edit:- just to add we are in a city, not a village, and have fast fibre broadband as we are near to a switch box. Regardless of who you are with landline broadband may be significantly slower in rural areas than 4g, if available, so do understand the conundrum of the opening post.

Last edited:
I'd give windows phone a miss there's a lot of apps that won't work on them. 12 months ago we cancelled our BT landline and now use have a Huawei router on a unlimited 2 yr contract with 3 every thing works as it did before and we can take it away with us as it works off vans 12v supply
Plus one.
No landline to pay for, just a mi fi with three and unlimited,
Occasionally had a problem connecting, but had a problem with the phone signal as well (UK touring)
The only time I have a problem with slow speed, is when renewal time is due, which I find odd, as you would think they would make sure you had the best, to encourage you to renew.

Our landline only gives 1.5mb download speed but I get 35mb download via EE on my phone. Updating my Garmin takes 2 days via my landline but only 1 hour by tethering my laptop to my phone. It's simple and efficient, yes it does use quite a bit of data but my allowance via EE is so good it doesn't matter.

When my current landline contract ends I intend to just use mobile data.

Avoid a contract with 3 unless you have no other choice. Have a look at reviews of 3 on Trustpilot, you will see widespread complaints about a) terrible customer service and b) poor strength signal.

I have been with 3 for over 20 years for phone and about 6 or 7 years for data on a Mifi. The signal strength has steadily reduced over the last 6 months and I am now tied into a 2 year contract with a now useless provider. They refuse to accept it is all down to them and want me to pay £104 to get out of the contract. I know that I should not have done it but I have cancelled the Direct Debit so that they don't get another penny from me and I am prepared to do anything I can to give them bad publicity if they don't cancel FOC.

I have been with 3 for over 20 years for phone and about 6 or 7 years for data on a Mifi. The signal strength has steadily reduced over the last 6 months and I am now tied into a 2 year contract with a now useless provider. They refuse to accept it is all down to them and want me to pay £104 to get out of the contract. I know that I should not have done it but I have cancelled the Direct Debit so that they don't get another penny from me and I am prepared to do anything I can to give them bad publicity if they don't cancel FOC.

I know with 3 they want ALL THE MONEY to end the contract early. In that case you might as well ride it out.

Re Windowsphones, many of these are much more up to date with security updates than the vast majority of Android phones, and some of the older iPhones, over time this will change, and in a couple of years they will be as out of date as most Android phones. If you want to use one best have a 940XL. The main app that is missing that will impact most users is WhatsApp, for maps you use MS Maps, these you download full country maps and updates for these are still forecoming, this week I got a notification of new maps to be downloaded. BUT, I am looking to buy an Android phone to run an App which updates my Thermal night vision. Personally if starting out with a smartphone I'd probably not choose windowsphone as you will in time need to change.

Avoid a contract with 3 unless you have no other choice. Have a look at reviews of 3 on Trustpilot, you will see widespread complaints about a) terrible customer service and b) poor strength signal.

If you check Trustpilot then Three have the best overall rating of all the big 5 UK mobile providers!

You have to look at the relative comparisons for Three, Vodafone, Orange, EE, and O2.

Three are the best by a wide margin in most cases!

Basically it is obvious (to me anyway) that Three are by some way the least complained about provider.

Smart phones with secure systems.

smart ph e.pngsmart ph d.pngsmart ph c.pngsmart ph b.pngsmart ph a.png

If you check Trustpilot then Three have the best overall rating of all the big 5 UK mobile providers!

You have to look at the relative comparisons for Three, Vodafone, Orange, EE, and O2.

Three are the best by a wide margin in most cases!

Basically it is obvious (to me anyway) that Three are by some way the least complained about provider.

Quite possibly as they were a good company. now they seem to be on a downward spiral. Let's see how they compare in a years time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back