Mission impossible

kwill

Free Member
Hi all hope your all readying for the big getaway. Bought a GasBank LS 11 kg - Light Steel Gas Cylinder Calor Fitting with OPD and adaptor from ebay. Found my nearest lpg pump which luckily was only 5miles away, Morrisons. Tried filling it but the gas valve from the pump seemed right being the normal looking bayonet uk fitting but did seem a bit oversized. Anyway it would not lock on and Eventually the attendant "hailed me over the speaker system". I had to take the tank so it could be seen to get approval before filling. I showed the tank and was told "we only authorise calor type gas cylinders that are twin walled and grey in colour. So whether the gas outlet at morrisons was indeed different to standard uk or whether they have a gas outlet that only fits calor twin walled fittings I have not a clue. Nearest lpg is a Asda petrol station and 15 miles away so would like some help about the fitting fitted to my cylinder and the new regs which may have made things even more difficult to get gas. Couple of pics show the outlet valve and an adaptor which should also connect from a calor bottle to a refillable nozzle. The bayonet size is 1 1/16 diameter on both as they are identical.

Attachments

• 20240223_153341.jpg
    20240223_153341.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240223_153357.jpg
    20240223_153357.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 30
If diameter isn't the issue, how about the distance from the front to the bayonet pins?

Cheers

H

I’ve got the Safe fill bottles and they have some sort of deal or affiliation with Morrisons never had a problem filling them. They come ready to fill no need for any adapters. You should take them to a place who fill the bottles for you and see if they have any joy probably the best way to go the first time you fill them.

LPG pumps at UK filling stations should have standard fittings so that they can be connected to vehicles using LPG for propulsion, so any suggestion that Morrisons have something different that only fits some sort of Calor bottle would appear to be a red herring. More likely that the issue is with the connector bought on eBay or with the clearance around it preventing the filler from attaching.

Thanks for all suggestions. The tank is not supported by any branch of Morrisons so this make (gasbank)unableto be refilled at any of their petrol stations. At the moment I am not desperate for gas so will try another (BP) garage 10 miles away in the next few days. Some members have reported difficulty getting refills direct to the cylinders or in a cabinet and need to have an external filling point to comply with european regs. This makes the single inlet/outlet type of cylinder difficult to adapt without extra valves and pipes. I will research this and hope someone has accomplished it without parting with an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't be happy with the gas female Vale freezing on the bottle/ cylinder during filling. So I'd need a lest a out side male fixed to vehicle ( filling point), mine was by the towbar so could fill from both sides. I was filling 100 ltrs at a time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back