Mill Inn, Withington, Gloucestershire

number14

Stopped over for second time last night. It's a quiet riverside location with a large flat car park and cosy inside. Food is fairly standard pub grub but well cooked and presented. We chatted with the landlady who is keen to develop her 'stopover' business.

I've added this the location app.

We went to The Highway Man on the A417 between Cirencester and the Air Balloon for lunch the other day. Speaking to the landlord he confirmed that he was in Britstops but I got the feeling that he wouldn't have any problem if any MH stayed there the night presumably if they spent a few quid in the bar.

My burger was passable but our friend raved about his (home made) pie of the day.

Re: the Mill Inn, should say also dog friendly.

Re: the Air Balloon, it must have sprung a leak. If you mean the one by Birdlip, I drove by yesterday and it is no more, flattened and demolished. Sad really. Truly an icon. I remember, as an 8yr old lad, passing by in Dad's car on our way to summer hols in Torquay.

Re: Britstops, we bought the book for a couple of years but were never asked to prove our 'membership'. There are now so many other sources to find pub stops including our very own location app. Shan't mention the others to avoid the auto censorship but you know who they are, nudge nudge.

Yes the actual pub was demolished the other week to make way for the well overdue road remodelling around there. The locals still call it the air balloon and will do for long to come I suspect.

Yes the actual pub was demolished the other week to make way for the well overdue road remodelling around there. The locals still call it the air balloon and will do for long to come I suspect.

The Black Cat roundabout on the A1 near me was named after a Garage there but I think the garage was demolished about 100 years ago.

Sad to see the Air Balloon go though, it was a famous landmark.

The Black Cat roundabout on the A1 near me was named after a Garage there but I think the garage was demolished about 100 years ago.

Sad to see the Air Balloon go though, it was a famous landmark.
Same up here. We have 'the coalhouse' roundabout near the Angel on the A1. It was named because the headquarters (main offices) of the NCB North East was located where the Sainsbury supermarket is now. I think it was officially known as Coal House. :giggle:

Last image on Streetview, November 2022...

Going back a fair few years now we found the Air Balloon to be a good place for food but we thought it had gone downhill for a number of years. Sad that the landmark has gone now though. The road remodelling is due to be completed by 2027 and they have already made a big start clearing all the foliage down the hill in the M% direction.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back