Milenco Mirror Protectors

Ironjaws

I am considering buying a pair of long arm protectors for my Ducato based camper. Does anyone have any experience with them, do they work, is it worth spending the money? The all singing, all dancing mirrors are rather expensive.

I had them on my c class, saved my offside mirror unit when hit by a van so yes worth the investment imho.

I have recently fitted a pair of Mirrorguard covers, as I have read that they are stronger and offer better protection than the Milenco version. I was prompted to fit them after a couple of weeks in North and mid Wales where I seemed to be driven at constantly by approaching drivers on narrow roads, and having my driver's mirror hit twice in the same number of days by approaching vehicles that barrelled past at full speed, necessitating repairs to a cracked mirror casing and replacement of the indicator lamp.

My experience since fitting them has been wholly positive. I haven't had to test their crash protection, but the reaction of approaching vehicles has been dramatic, all noticeably slowing and moving over where previously there had been no reaction. Even a couple of instances of white van man pulling in, stopping and folding his mirror in before we passed.

It seems obvious that the Mirrorguards (silver on my van) are much more visible than the original black mirror casings, and they do appear to make the van look wider than before. So from my experience so far, I think they have been well worth the money spent.

I've never had any and have mixed feelings about mirror guards.On the one hand I can see the benefit of increased visibility and making oncoming vehicles more aware of your presence.On the other hand my friend in his Rapido had a coming together with a range rover on a narrow road in Scotland which destroyed both the mirrorguard and his wing mirror.

I would use them to improve the appearance, but not to sure about there 'Guarding' effect.
Often items purchased to protect things cost more than the item they are protecting:confused:
I think those floro hi viz stickers probably draw oncomers attention to what they're about to hit

I saw a motorhome the other day with stickers on the mirrors that resembled smiling Emojis. They really stood out well and drew your eyes to them. I don't know if they can be bought or were home made but I would like a pair. Does anyone have any info about this?

Mirror Protectors

I got myself a white pair for my Peugeot after losing my nearside ( offside in France) mirror unit to White Van Man, that was fun driving for the next few days with minimal visibility on my offside. The French Peugeot dealer I called into could not supply it as only available in UK, certain irony there.
They do now stand out from the original black, however it appears to have affected my radio signal, as Ariel is mounted in nearside mirror unit.
I think they would help with minor knocks only, can't see them surviving a hefty impact, I will try not to test the theory.

Wide Yellow Tape

I put 2 horizontal yellow stripes (on each) using cheapo poundland yellow tape.
The tape faded badly in just 6 months and has now been removed so I am now looking to paint a couple of diagonal or horizontal yellow stripes on each mirror.
Maybe £10 for a good dayglo type yellow spray paint.

As has been posted loosing a mirror is a real problem !

I put 2 horizontal yellow stripes (on each) using cheapo poundland yellow tape.
The tape faded badly in just 6 months and has now been removed so I am now looking to paint a couple of diagonal or horizontal yellow stripes on each mirror.
Maybe £10 for a good dayglo type yellow spray paint.

As has been posted loosing a mirror is a real problem !

See Edina's post halfway down the page in this thread;

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/off-topic-chat/51882-edinas-chat-room-3677.html

I reckon they would be pretty good at night, picked up in a cars headlights.

I have just ordered some and will post my opinions.

I would use them to improve the appearance, but not to sure about there 'Guarding' effect.
Often items purchased to protect things cost more than the item they are protecting:confused:
I think those floro hi viz stickers probably draw oncomers attention to what they're about to hit

Regarding 'guarding' effect, worked for me when I had a coming together with white van man. Small crack in my mirrorguard, his mirror was destroyed.
Mine were the mirrorguard type not millenco and being white as others have said they are more easily seen.

I purchase a set of white Milenco mirror protectors in 2014 for our Fiat X250 based motorhome and done 24,000 miles with them, transferred them to our X290 in March which has now done 4,000 miles.

The first reason for buying them is cosmetic as the motorhome is all white except the mirrors, the van looks much better and it's cheaper then respraying the black mirrors white.

The second reason is to protect the expensive mirrors as I hate to think how much heated and powered mirrors would cost to replace. The guards have lots of marks and scores on them from lovely narrow Welsh lanes and the odd white van man. The marks are hard to spot as the the plastic seems to be white all the way through the plastic material.

I'm sure if you hit something or someone hit the mirror very hard they would probably still break but hedges, the odd wall and white van have not broke ours yet.

Sod's law now says that well break a mirror on our way hone from Anglesey.

IMG_2067.jpg

Last edited:
I purchase a set of white Milenco mirror protectors in 2014 for our Fiat X250 based motorhome and done 24,000 miles with them, transferred them to our X290 in March which has now done 4,000 miles.

The first reason for buying them is cosmetic as the motorhome is all white except the mirrors, they van looks much better and it's cheaper then respraying the black mirrors white.

/........nsip

View attachment 57349

Agreed, manufacturers save a penny where they can. It's like some MoHos makers save a few quid by not painting the bumpers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back