Michelin route plotter

Mobilvetta

Decided to use the autoroute from St Tropez to Lyon today, I put my vehicle down on the Michelin route plotter as an Iveco daily with the biggest engine option, thinking it will be a category 2 vehicle in the hope it would give me accurate toll costings. The tolls should have cost €33.20 in total. The first part of the motorway toll was on the A8, this cost me €15.50. then I had to pay another toll on the A7 that cost me €40.10, so the final.cost was €55.60 not €33.20. I checked at the pay station each time and it was charging my category 2. I stuck to the speed limit of 110 kph, as advised on here, so hopefully I won't get any speeding tickets. I'm thinking of using the A6 toll up to Paris next, does anyone know an accurate route plotter I can use instead of Michelin's, I even found it was miles out on the fuel costs estimate as well, I got around 24mpg, as opposed to 34mpg that Michelin was using.

Bloody Hell, did you manage to get a fixed rate mortgage :cry:
Not a route we use, generally, we go down the middle or west and don't use peage!
More difficult on that side where you were!
I would suggest getting the Michelin Map and look at the RN roads, but it will take a little longer, but no where near as long as some folks say!

The alternative looked to be hilly a lot of bends and roundabouts and a lot of stop, starts, I thought the original estimate of toll costs would be I offset a little in fuel savings. Plus I wanted to cover the milage, so it was quite an easy drive. 🤣😂

24mpg whilst driving up the péage :scared: something not right there unless you was flooring it :rolleyes2:

Doing that journey once in my coachbuilt achieved a similar MPG figure using a route nationale one reason and the other very bad wind that the south suffers this tme of year

Now you are in Lyon use the ring road to navigate you have a choice of autoroute or the N7 which rns practically at the side of it ,but will take longer with lower speed limits and it passing through the centre of small villages

Peage make our road tax look good value ..normally free around the larger cities]

Channa

In the past I have found the Michelin routeplanner good and I’m sure you can change the mpg figure it uses.

In the past I have found the Michelin routeplanner good and I’m sure you can change the mpg figure it uses.

I've been.playing with the Michelin route planner and the quote it gave me must have been for a category 1 vehicle, if you tick at the bottom you are towing a caravan, it then gives you qoutes for a category 2 vehicle.

There was no wind yesterday, I filled the fuel tank before setting off and then refilled it after 440kms, I thought 24mpg was not bad for a 4 ton plus motorhome, it's got the 150hp engine and tickled along at 2000rpm, it's not an A class so the aerodynamics won't be that good, what sort of MPG should I be expecting, the van has now done just over 5000 miles so the engine should be nice and loose, it's certainly better than the MPG of my boat, that was 0.86 mpg cruising at 28knots.

Due to size and shape of vans the MPG is much more affected by speed than a car, cruising at 110kph (70mph) your MPG doesn't surprise me.

MPG and speed

As has been posted many factors affect MPG.
The prime one being cruising speed!
Air Resistance increases as the square of the speed
50x50 = 2500
70x70 = 4900 almost double.
Strong cross winds let alone headwinds also play a part
To give a somewhat extreme example 40mph cruising with a cross wind or 30mph give a combined air resistance speed of 50mph
Good old Pythagoras knows this.

The squaw on the hippopotomus hide had twins the other to squaws on the other two hides has one each....etc

We aim for 55mph (limits permitting)

Tyre wear is similarly increased by higher speeds.
But of course road surface is the dominant factor..French toll roads usually have excellent surfaces

PS I keep a careful record of distance between fill ups and amount of fuel used
We get between 27 and 33mpg..per fillup. Our long term average is 31mpg
Renault 2.5 DCI with tunit fuel enhancer.
3500kg Low profile (see avatar)

Last edited:
Decided to use the autoroute from St Tropez to Lyon today, I put my vehicle down on the Michelin route plotter as an Iveco daily with the biggest engine option, thinking it will be a category 2 vehicle in the hope it would give me accurate toll costings. The tolls should have cost €33.20 in total. The first part of the motorway toll was on the A8, this cost me €15.50. then I had to pay another toll on the A7 that cost me €40.10, so the final.cost was €55.60 not €33.20. I checked at the pay station each time and it was charging my category 2. I stuck to the speed limit of 110 kph, as advised on here, so hopefully I won't get any speeding tickets. I'm thinking of using the A6 toll up to Paris next, does anyone know an accurate route plotter I can use instead of Michelin's, I even found it was miles out on the fuel costs estimate as well, I got around 24mpg, as opposed to 34mpg that Michelin was using.

If you head across country East from Lyon towards Metz the motorway up past Nancy and into Luxembourg and through Belgium was all toll free last time we used it

I don't usually get much over 22MPG on peage. If I try really hard I can get down to about 15 MPG.

re via Michelin I find it excellent for navigation ....loads of parameters to play with that getting accurate costs seems problematic but finding your way about extremely good

Coz I is tight no sat nav on the bike, but pointers strapped to the tank and never let me down

Channa

Not for Fuel Consumption

I seriously doubt that road surface is the dominant factor in determining fuel consumption.

BUT tyre wear..Please re-read my post !
Ps I have not edited it

Tyre wear is similarly increased by higher speeds.
But of course road surface is the dominant factor..French toll roads usually have excellent surfaces

Try Motorway map France : preparing your routes on french motorways - ASFA

Select car+caravan and input your journey also adjust fuel cost (to match). Not only shows map route but journey route details include individual toll costs. I copied your journey (st tropaz to lyon) and the tolls pretty much matched your actual cost (+/-1 or 2 euros).

We used this site last year to plan Le Harve (via tours, le mans, bordeaux) to Irun (spain) to make sure in our VW T5 camper (class 1) was only charged for class 1. We had all of the individual toll charges in seperate bags (as per the website), at each toll I kept to the right of the toll so that my wife could jump out (with plenty of room) to input the toll if it was correct or press the help button and just say 'class un siv vous plais' (as per utube). The toll was immediately changed to the correct amount ( no questions, no discussion) obviously a regular occurence. Saved about 30 euros doing this but more importantly my wife and I kept cool calm and collected at each toll instead of using our usual 'house of commons' debating style (and then carrying it on for the next 50km)...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back