Merc sprinter dying

Makzine

Ok friends have just arrived and their Merc sprinter 09 plate has a problem over 65 mph it cuts out and dies pullover. stop and it starts up again no problem any ideas people??

possibly the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump , they can get sticky .remove and lubricate

I think with it being an 09 Sprinter it will be common rail, so the cut off will be by way of turning the injectors off not a separate cut off valve, Think an OBD reader may be needed to see what fault code comes up.

As truckman says best get a code reader on it so many electronics on modern stuff could be anything like over boosting or a faulty sensor.

Mike

It does sound like a pressure solenoid or fuel return valve issue. Iff it's a definite cut out and not just loss of power. They have an o ring which usually splits after about 10 years. Assuming the vehicle is regularly serviced of course.

On the sprinters it could be absolutely anything, they are great vans but a PTA when they start going into limp mode,you could make guesses and change parts all day long the only way is to get it plugged in,
Where in the country is he at ? As I have a Mercedes pacific obd reader here
Richard.

Last edited:
Check the fuel tank breaker ain't blocked ,quick test drive with fuel cap off NOT WITH A FULL TANK OBVIOUSLY

Thanks for all your comments today, however put it onto a reader and no faults showed up so took it for a run out and not a sausage wrong. It ran like a trouper up to 75 and back for 30mins. Don't you just love an intermittent fault.

I would go with the blocked fuel filter and not quite stopping the full flow. Code reader needed or just change it e other thing is the tank breather pipe blocked.

I would go with the blocked fuel filter and not quite stopping the full flow. Code reader needed or just change it e other thing is the tank breather pipe blocked.
Have had it read by a garage code reader and no faults showed up and ran as normal for 30 mins run out.

They have taken it out for a run today so will see what the outcome is when they get back.

I'd still have the fuel filter replaced if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years. Less than £50.00 fitted and the only thing protecting those expensive injectors.(y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back