Medical Insurance required for France

I've ended up in hospital three times whilst in Europe and my EHIC card worked perfectly . Last time I thought I'd need to be driven home this would have been covered by my breakdown cover which is included in my van insurance .
To be fair I've been lucky but I have winged it all my life . Ex-wife did say that I was a 'spawny farker' . Not sure if she was referring to the time before I met her or after she was gone ?
Not seen anything quoted that definitively states insurance is mandatory but , older and with a medical condition I am , reluctantly , looking at insurance options . Think the co-op bank account may suit my needs
Thanks for mention by Jo001 on here and , at least , one poster on t'other side .
I think pre existing conditions can be covered, probably extra premium. But we know that Daves is not likely to cause an emergency. Our main concern is accidents. I believe I went through Quidco to join the bank and got a small amount of cashback, but can't see any offers at the moment!.

In the past, we have always relied on EHIC for the EU and only taken out insurance for travel beyond the EU. However, our circumstances have changed dramatically since getting back from Spain in March. I have been diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer and am now on treatment that ties me to the hospital every four weeks. Long-term travel abroad is now out of the question for two reasons - the four week hospital cycle and the cost of insurance (we still have a 5 day trip to Iceland booked for next June and the insurance would cost £1,600!). We still plan to travel, however, but on a different basis. We will live in the motorhome during the summer and visit the UK and move back into the house for the winter. Inbetween, we still hope to take short trips abroad but as far as insurance goes, I will adopt vwalan's maxim and "wing it". The EHIC/GHIC will do for the EU and elsewhere we will just take the chance. We have never been bothered about repatriation. The hospital systems in most of the places we visit are good and if I die, then dispose of me where I fall. The family are, fortunately, of the same frame of mind - they don't need a body to celebrate my life at the end. Sorry to be so morbid :)

Ouch, so sorry to hear of your latest situation, but absolutely spot on for how you both are dealing with it, good luck and enjoy your travels.

I can help with the cost of medical help in Australia..
Daughter broke both legs, they sent air ambulance which they phoned to ask me if I would pay , I said yes.
The bill was £90.
Hospital treatment was free , they claim back from uk nhs.
She was out in a week with 2 titanium rods in her legs.
Spent next 2 weeks in small hotel/b&b
Carried on touring Australia in a wheelchair....gave wheelchair back to Australian Health at the other end of country
She got told if the accident had happened in Fiji (where they were going next) they would have amputated both legs...
You should look a each country you travel to.
Doctor said on return that she would have been in a uk hospital for a few months with her injuries....

I can help with the cost of medical help in Australia..
Daughter broke both legs, they sent air ambulance which they phoned to ask me if I would pay , I said yes.
The bill was £90.
Hospital treatment was free , they claim back from uk nhs.
She was out in a week with 2 titanium rods in her legs.
Spent next 2 weeks in small hotel/b&b
Carried on touring Australia in a wheelchair....gave wheelchair back to Australian Health at the other end of country
She got told if the accident had happened in Fiji (where they were going next) they would have amputated both legs...
You should look a each country you travel to.
Doctor said on return that she would have been in a uk hospital for a few months with her injuries....

In the past, we have always relied on EHIC for the EU and only taken out insurance for travel beyond the EU. However, our circumstances have changed dramatically since getting back from Spain in March. I have been diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer and am now on treatment that ties me to the hospital every four weeks. Long-term travel abroad is now out of the question for two reasons - the four week hospital cycle and the cost of insurance (we still have a 5 day trip to Iceland booked for next June and the insurance would cost £1,600!). We still plan to travel, however, but on a different basis. We will live in the motorhome during the summer and visit the UK and move back into the house for the winter. Inbetween, we still hope to take short trips abroad but as far as insurance goes, I will adopt vwalan's maxim and "wing it". The EHIC/GHIC will do for the EU and elsewhere we will just take the chance. We have never been bothered about repatriation. The hospital systems in most of the places we visit are good and if I die, then dispose of me where I fall. The family are, fortunately, of the same frame of mind - they don't need a body to celebrate my life at the end. Sorry to be so morbid :)
Sorry to hear this.
We have both just received the ghic cards, no difference in e111 really in the cover just guarantees the same cover as a local with the recommendation to take out insurance.

In France your EHIC/GHIC will cover 80% of a hospital stay if you are admitted via A&E. I speak from direct experience last year. Your travel Insurance will cover the balance. The total bill was just over £10,000 and the EHIC covered £8000. Having the insurance saved us just over £2000. This included follow up doctor visits, prescriptions etc.

In France your EHIC/GHIC will cover 80% of a hospital stay if you are admitted via A&E. I speak from direct experience last year. Your travel Insurance will cover the balance. The total bill was just over £10,000 and the EHIC covered £8000. Having the insurance saved us just over £2000. This included follow up doctor visits, prescriptions etc.
Since I have been quoted £1600 for 5 days insurance, I'd say that, for me, that is a risk worth taking! :) I have had to use my EHIC in France, Hungary and Spain - in the former two there was a small cost and in Spain there was no cost, so I think I'll take my chances.

We have a multi trip insurance policy from Staysure. You can specify you need it for the 90 days, now allowed in EU countries. Just remember the 90 days is for ANY time spent in an Schengen Country, in a 180 day period. The clock starts ticking from your first day abroad. So if for example you have a 14 night trip , flying somewhere in March, but want to travel in the van in May, you will have to deduct the 14 nights from your 90 days. You then have to return to a non-schengen country for 90 days, before allowing back in. It's NOTHING to do with the EU. The UK never joined the Schengen Zone, as an individual member, but as part of our EU membership. Ironically, this was a rule introduced into EU legislation by the UK, before we ever thought it would shoot our own citizens in the foot! We could join the Schengen Zone as an individual member and have full access to Europe again, as visitors. It would appear to be the sensible option.

We have a multi trip insurance policy from Staysure. You can specify you need it for the 90 days, now allowed in EU countries. Just remember the 90 days is for ANY time spent in an Schengen Country, in a 180 day period. The clock starts ticking from your first day abroad. So if for example you have a 14 night trip , flying somewhere in March, but want to travel in the van in May, you will have to deduct the 14 nights from your 90 days. You then have to return to a non-schengen country for 90 days, before allowing back in. It's NOTHING to do with the EU. The UK never joined the Schengen Zone, as an individual member, but as part of our EU membership. Ironically, this was a rule introduced into EU legislation by the UK, before we ever thought it would shoot our own citizens in the foot! We could join the Schengen Zone as an individual member and have full access to Europe again, as visitors. It would appear to be the sensible option.
You say it has nothing to do with the EU but as members we were allowed to exceed it because of the Freedom of Movement Directive. Now we are not members we are not allowed to exceed it. As you say, we could join Schengen but, since that would require us signing up to freedom of movement, it is unlikely to happen.

You say it has nothing to do with the EU but as members we were allowed to exceed it because of the Freedom of Movement Directive. Now we are not members we are not allowed to exceed it. As you say, we could join Schengen but, since that would require us signing up to freedom of movement, it is unlikely to happen.
To be honest, John. I wouldn’t be so sure on that. I’ve been told by a friend who works for a Europe wide organisation that co-ordinates vets responses to EU/UK regs, the Pet Passport is being re-introduced in the UK. Agreement was reached last year to rejoin, but was politically bad as it was seen by some as showing some aspects of Brexit as being flawed, ( no comment! ;) So was put back to later this year. Other things will undoubtably follow. It could even be part of an EU trade agreement. The Indian and Aussie ones have exactly that clause in them. Once all the jingoistic shouting has died down trade, politics and finance will prevail.

To be honest, John. I wouldn’t be so sure on that. I’ve been told by a friend who works for a Europe wide organisation that co-ordinates vets responses to EU/UK regs, the Pet Passport is being re-introduced in the UK. Agreement was reached last year to rejoin, but was politically bad as it was seen by some as showing some aspects of Brexit as being flawed, ( no comment! ;) So was put back to later this year. Other things will undoubtably follow. It could even be part of an EU trade agreement. The Indian and Aussie ones have exactly that clause in them. Once all the jingoistic shouting has died down trade, politics and finance will prevail.
I hope you are right but I remain sceptical. I cannot see this government (or, to be honest, any other one) signing up to free movement in the near future and without that we will not be able to exceed the 90 day limit. Indians and Australians are still subject to that limit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back