Medical Insurance required for France

witzend

When eventually you can visit France again, you should be aware that whilst the EHIC or GHIC cards provide UK visitors to the same medical cover as would apply to a French national, it does not cover medical repatriation, repatriation in the event of death, non-urgent treatment nor mountain rescue costs.
French rules now require non-EU visitors to have health insurance that covers medical repatriation & any costs involved in the event of death

I dont think this is a new rule. Its been the case for None EU countries for ages which of course sadly we now are. From what I can gather from Australians, Americans etc is its not universally checked so you may be able to wing it. Depends how thorough they are at the borders with Brit Motorhomers I guess. We always relied on the EHIC card and it served us well as we used it a fair bit. No idea how good this new GHIC card is so it may well be prudent to take out the insurance. I just bet it rockets in price though.

I wasn't aware that the EHIC ever did cover medical repatriation or costs involved in the event of death. I don't think anything has changed. It's been reported here https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...d-for-non-EU-visitors-Britons-visiting-France as a must have but I've not been able to find any officail French Govt ruling. This is the best I got - https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/europe-travel-insurance/france/

2021-05-30_175511.png

so do we need a visa to got to France? I've suddenly realised that I don't know.

So far as I can see, nothing has changed.

If you are travelling in a motorhome then it should be clear to the French customs what your form of accommodation is whilst in France. I agree though that whilst you may have a GHIC card, it is not clear, even if a visa is not required as it’s a short stay not exceeding 90 days, if proof of death or medical repatriations cost insurance cover is required. All websites suggest that this may be checked, not that it is compulsory.

My guess is it is entirely down to how you represent yourself to French border control as to whether they consider you at risk of being a burden to the French taxpayer or not with regard to repatriation.

If you ooze charm and wealth please quickly enter and spend your money in France!

If you look nervous with a serious cough and twitch in a vehicle with all the hubcaps missing then pull over we need to give you the French border control full treatment!

I wasn't aware that the EHIC ever did cover medical repatriation or costs involved in the event of death. So far as I can see, nothing has changed.
Your correct it never did but while we were part of the EU we weren't required to have insurance cover.
The bit thats changed is we are No longer part of the EU and France requires All non EU visitors to have this insurance cover in place when entering France

Just need to watch the limit per trip time , usually 3 months I think but have seen shorter limits

When I went to France, Spain & Portugal 2 years ago for two months I took out an annual multi-trip policy, it was only £2 more than getting a policy just for the two months. It cost £30.
Thats a good price but I'd check what you where covered for our last trip for the 2 of us was £140 for 72 days

When I went to France, Spain & Portugal 2 years ago for two months I took out an annual multi-trip policy, it was only £2 more than getting a policy just for the two months. It cost £30.
What Co. ? I’m with Barclays travel & Gadget £32 pcm. We had MH breaking 14:00-14:30 at carrefore supermarket Narbone they replaced laptop. I fixed everything else as we were away for 4 months during 2019

What Co. ? I’m with Barclays travel & Gadget £32 pcm. We had MH breaking 14:00-14:30 at carrefore supermarket Narbone they replaced laptop. I fixed everything else as we were away for 4 months during 2019

Multitrip.com, through Money Supermarket.

Thats a good price but I'd check what you where covered for our last trip for the 2 of us was £140 for 72 days
Probably because each trip was limited to 60 days. Which was fine, I did intend to go again that year but for various reasons I didn't, so I wasted £2.

What is insured? 9 Cancellation & Curtailment - up to £5,000 9 Emergency Medical and other Expenses - up to £20,000,000 9 Hospital Benefit - up to £1,000 (£20 per day) 9 Baggage - up to £3,000 9 Personal Accident - up to £40,000 9 Schedule Airline Failure - up to £2,000 9 Missed Departure - up to £1,000 9 Delayed Departure - £40 for each 12hrs (Up to Max £200) 9 Delayed Baggage - £300 (£75 per 24hrs) 9 Strike Cover - up to £300 9 Personal Liability - up to £3,000,000 9 Legal expenses - up to £20,000 9 Replacement of Passport - up to £250 9 Hijack - £1,000 (£100 per day) 9 Catastrophe - up to £1,000 9 Personal Money and Documents - up to £1,000 9 Holiday Abandonment - Up to £5,000 (after 24hrs)
What is not insured? 8 Any pre-existing medical conditions which have not been declared to us or have been declared to us and we have excluded from cover. 8 Any claims for cancelling or cutting short your holiday that result directly or indirectly from any medical condition you know about at the time of taking out this insurance or when booking a trip which affect, a close relative who is not travelling and is not insured under this policy, a business associate, or a person you plan to stay with on your trip. 8 Any claims where you are involved in any malicious, reckless, illegal, fraudulent or any other criminal act. 8 Loss, theft of or damage of Valuables and Baggage left Unattended at any time or broken whilst in use. 8 Loss or damage of personal items unless caused by fire, theft or accident to the vehicle in which they are being carried. 8 Loss or damage due to delay, confiscation or detection by customs or other authority. 8 Any claim that results from you travelling to a country or an area where war, invasion and other war like or civil war, terrorism occurred and the (FCO) Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice at the time that you purchase your policy or book an individual trip, whichever is the latter is not to travel to this country or area.
Are there any restrictions on cover? ! Each section of cover has a maximum sum insured, as specified in your policy schedule, which we will pay up to, per insured person, per trip. ! Excess - Under most sections of this policy you have to pay the first part of any claim. This is called an excess. This will apply to each person claiming and to each incident and to each section of the policy you claim under.

Plus of course my EHIC card was still valid that year.

You always needed medical insurance for re-patriation no matter to which country you travelled. This is why people are left crowdfunding to get home from places!

You always needed medical insurance for re-patriation no matter to which country you travelled. This is why people are left crowdfunding to get home from places!
Yes but now it's become a Requisite to travel

French rules now require non-EU visitors to have health insurance that covers medical repatriation & any costs involved in the event of death

Just had our renewal quote from Asda Money. Gone up a little bit but the main issue is, if aged 66 and over this cover is reduced to a maximum of 31 days. Down from 90 in one visit. That's me stuffed then.
Time to start googling. Any suggestions guys?

When eventually you can visit France again, you should be aware that whilst the EHIC or GHIC cards provide UK visitors to the same medical cover as would apply to a French national, it does not cover medical repatriation, repatriation in the event of death, non-urgent treatment nor mountain rescue costs.
If single who cars about death cost, they will bury you to stop the stink. 😂

Don’t forget you could also be asked if you have the cash or means to fully fund your trip. Latest figures I saw was that you need at least €120 for each day you spend in the EU.

Don’t forget you could also be asked if you have the cash or means to fully fund your trip. Latest figures I saw was that you need at least €120 for each day you spend in the EU.

Blimey! So for my 90 days (we used to spend up to six months) Ill need €10800 in me back pocket. :D

I do like expensive cheese and French markets but even I couldnt quaff that much.

Remember when you just got on the ferry and spent all summer in Provence or up an Alp without a care in the world? :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back