Marseille

patty

Hi there,
Just new to the site, hope someone can help! Hoping to travel through France in April and end up in Marseille. Have got latest book on aires, but none in Marseille. Anyone suggest anywhere to stay in the city preferably. Thanks:)

Hi patty

There are many beautiful and safe places to overnight in France but unfortunately IMHO Marseille is not one of them.

I have to agree with the previous post. I would not feel comfortable parking overnight in Marseille.

It even feels unsafe when driving around it.

I would want to be south of Martigues and heading toward Montpelier where there is some lovely almost deserted coastline of which I've heard no scary stories.

Hi there,
Just new to the site, hope someone can help! Hoping to travel through France in April and end up in Marseille. Have got latest book on aires, but none in Marseille. Anyone suggest anywhere to stay in the city preferably. Thanks:)

We have stayed at st trapaz and cannes with no probs but never stayed at Marseille. We mixed the traveling with tolls and the next major roads. The more time you have the slower you can go:D. All the best in your travels.
PS have a plan to travel but not to absolute to dead lines.:)

I overnighted in a car with a mate, in Marseilles a few years back. We drove down to the seafront and turned left, away from the main drag, along the coast road there are a succession of car parking areas this is where we stayed, with the Mediterranean in front of us.
We found an English bar a little further along the same road, where we spent a pleasant evening.
I must however concur with the advice given above, Marseilles is not a very nice place to be after dark. fortunately we did not encounter any problems, though there were some weird and wonderful characters roaming around obviously on the prowl.
I was told by a local cafe owner that they have a lot of problems with Algerians coming across the water and causing problems locally.
Be careful when down there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back