Marker Lights requirement for MOT?

wildebus

Does anyone KNOW if the top level Marker lights (on the corners on a tallish Motorhome) are an MOT requirement or not?

One of mine is out and it is cold outside so if I can delay getting up a ladder for another time I don't mind the light not working. But I don't want an MOT failure becuase of that, of course!

They can get a bad connection. Try tapping it with a yard brush as a temporary fix! 😉

I think it depends on width of vehicle, 2.1M springs to mind, but could be wrong.

Of course as already said they could use the all lights fitted must work line, depends what mood the tester is in.

From the mot test manual

Screenshot_20211122-123943_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211122-123943_Chrome.jpg

IF its both out at front/rear/side its likely to be bulbs....

One rear and one rear on opposite sides and/or one side marker on one side and one on the other is likely to be fuse related as they are fused to split the sides/front/rear so one blown fuse won't take ALL the lights, out on that side....

IF they are the wedge types (as on our swift) then the wires corrode and fail on a regular basis (I sorted that by fitting led versions that have a more substantial connection)

Cheers :)
I'll get up that ladder then :(

(I have a numberplate bulb out as well. luckily I finally remembered to check those this time. usually forget)

Are both fronts out?
two in front, two in back. just one light out.

Went up ladder and removed cover ... basically surface corrosion stopping making a connection. voltage is ok at 12V to the general fitting, but dropped to a poor 8V at the actual connection on the -ve side, but once cleaned up prongs and bulb (festoon type) with a dremel wire brush, got light on again enough to pass muster.
Bulb was pretty blackened, similiar to number plate light bulbs so I might refresh them all anyway.

Had the MH in a garage last week and noticed the high brake light not working, mot man said not a failure but best to repair. :unsure:

Does anyone KNOW if the top level Marker lights (on the corners on a tallish Motorhome) are an MOT requirement or not?

One of mine is out and it is cold outside so if I can delay getting up a ladder for another time I don't mind the light not working. But I don't want an MOT failure becuase of that, of course!
I don't think so they did't when I had trucks on the road also when I took the old girl in for test this year top stop light not working tester said did't come in the test so it went through no problem

Taken from government website link below.

End-outline marker lamps​

You must inspect end-outline marker lamps on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1991 that are wider than 2,100mm, excluding side mirrors.

Class 3 vehicles do not need end-outline marker lamps.

The front and rear end outline marker lamps on each side can be combined in one lamp.

I put my Burstner through the MOT and after it passed and I had the certificate I noticed a rear high level marker light not working. I told the tester about it and he said I had 12 months to get it fixed or it would be a fail next time. :ROFLMAO:

Well, it didn't fail the MOT on the marker lights, but then I fixed it before hand so non the wiser if it mattered or not ;)

I might ask the tester if he would have failed it on that if it were out :)

(I am inclined to think it would not be a fail any more than if any side marker lights were out, which are required on commercial vehicles over a certain length but not on the same vehicle when tested as a Motor Caravan. Those can be fitted and still inoperable without a fail).

Taken from government website link below.

End-outline marker lamps​

You must inspect end-outline marker lamps on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1991 that are wider than 2,100mm, excluding side mirrors.

Class 3 vehicles do not need end-outline marker lamps.

The front and rear end outline marker lamps on each side can be combined in one lamp.

There is an interesting proviso in that article ....

"Vehicles do not need to be fitted with position lamps, or may have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked if they are:

• only used during daylight hours, and
  • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

In this situation, you should issue an advisory. These vehicles do not need end-outline marker lamps."

So take vehicle for a test and tell tester you don't use it in the dark or when the weather is very poor (which is very likely true for many motorhome owners).
The tester is obliged to inspect and no more.

My van failed on the top marker light, it was a fail not an advisory
It needs repairing anyway (IMO) so it might as well just be fixed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back