Maps.me alternative that actually works - Organic Maps

ChrisInNotts

Dear all,

I know the Wildcamping App is very good but I still like using offline maps. Like many I was upset when they ruined Maps.me so it no longer handled POIs properly and limited maps in the free version. I've been playing with my new phone so see which map option works well.

I can report that "Organic Maps" is free and very much like Maps.me used to be and even uses the same open source maps. Its almost an identical user experience to the old Maps.me. Best of all it even works fine with the Wildcamping POIs and I was able to download and use the "Maps.me" kml files straight off the site. It didn't work at first but I needed to to allow it to create a folder so Organic maps could shove the files somewhere.

I'm now so much happier :)

Hope that helps!

Keith

It's a free app Trev. I have had it for a while and I like it.

Anyone who downloads it must use it at least once for navigating to somewhere. I think the ladies voice that gives directions is hilarious.

It's a free app Trev. I have had it for a while and I like it.

Anyone who downloads it must use it at least once for navigating to somewhere. I think the ladies voice that gives directions is hilarious.
on what.

When Maps.me first came out I think it was from a Russian outfit and it was really good, I keep it as a back up and keep it updated, it's also where I keep my old POIs but Organic maps has stayed true to the original concept, M.Me got ruined when they added cycling and walking to it.

When I use the WC app I always opt to be guided by Google Maps, I don't get that the option to use Organic maps anyway

1719244798389.png

It has a basic navigator function so I would be very surprised if you can adjust vehicle size.

Keith
I've been using it for years, since it was first mentioned on here as a replacement for Maps.Me. It has options for private road vehicle (no size/weight options that I've found), walking, public transport and cycling. I've used it occasionally for offline navigation for walking, both in cities and in countryside. I've also used it for locating POIs when I've had no mobile data connection, in order to feed the coordinates into CoPilot for moho navigation.

Ditto..
Using Maps.Me for years. But switched to Organic Maps. I was told its creators are the ones that sold Maps.Me. So the interface is very similar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back