Maintenance while van not in use

Roger Haworth

Free Member
I apologise for starting this thread as I'm sure all the information I'm looking for is somewhere on this website but I can't seem to find it.

I typically use my van for quite long trips - over two months at a time. Then the van tends to be sitting around outside the house for two or three months before we go off on another trip.

What should I be doing to keep it in good condition?

Start the engine on a regular basis or leave it until I want to go some where?

Move the vehicle backwards or forwards on a regular basis so different parts of the tyres are in contact with the ground or leave it in one place?

Turn on habitation components such as boiler, fridge, SOG fan, water pump, TV, satellite dish etc on a regular basis or leave them turned off?

I have two ultra sound devices running in the van which will hopefully keep mice out. Is there anything else I should be doing on the rodent front?

Once again my apologies for raising issues which have been covered (somewhere) on this forum several times before.

Simply starting the engine

With the vehicle stationary is not good.
So once a month or so ?
Take it for a little trip eg do your shopping in a store with a suitable car park maybe 10 miles.
A trip also will circulate air and keep batteries in good shape.
I guess you use EHU or solar for the batteries.

With our MoHo I have observed that if I leave "the main switch on" both my batteries are maintained by the solar.

Keep the fridge door open when at rest and maybe wipe it clean once a month

Your other measures are good

Hi ,starting a engine for short bursts does more damage than good,best to leave it or do a drive of say 40 mls to warm up oil so detergent in it cleans engine.
Next leaving tyres sitting on one spot for to long will end with cracked side walls and pos out of true,bump bump bump three penny bit synd, so either move or place van on axle stands supporting under chassis.
From this the wheels are easy to turn by hand to keep brakes free,do leave the h/brake of.
Make sure you dont leave any s/bags clothes etc as they pick up damp and stink,do vent the van ,heaters are not always a good thing as when cooling condensation may happen,good luck.:wave:

Hi ,starting a engine for short bursts does more damage than good,best to leave it or do a drive of say 40 mls to warm up oil so detergent in it cleans engine.

Just to second this, and explain why: (because I always see this advice, but never see it explained. :) )

When you run an engine, there is air in the engine block along with the oil.

That air has a certain level of moisture in it.

When you run the engine, the air gets hot (obviously), but you need to run the engine for at least 30-40 minutes (with stresses) so that the air in the engine is fully 'purged' via the crankcase pressure overflow valve.

If you just run the engine for a few minutes, then a) some parts of the engine don't get very hot, and b) you draw cool moist air into the engine.

The moisture in the air then condenses out onto the cooler parts of the engine AS WATER.

Obviously this water can then start having an effect on the metals within the engine - ie corrosion.

It can also mix with the oil to create a 'sludgy' or 'milky' mixture which doesn't lubricate as well as the normal oil. (You'll often see this sludgy oil in cars that are only used for 5 minute journeys back and forth to work (for example)).

Also - it takes a fair whack of energy to start a diesel, that's all come from the battery, and you need to recharge the battery which will take about 40 minutes of driving (especially if you've had to turn the engine over several times before it caught).

Similarly - a good run will spread the grease around the bearings properly again, let the gearbox get good and hot (for the same reasons as the engine), and you can use the run to reacquaint yourself with the vehicle and make sure there's nothing beginning to feel odd.

So - that's WHY you should always take a 'stored' vehicle for a longish run whenever you get it going again. :)

Yes every thing that has already been said,

Keep batteries charged,

Rat and mice, it is well worth putting poison or traps down outside the van if rodents are likely to cause trouble.

On a manual clutch mechanisms can stick but driving the van will keep that working.

Make sure antifreeze is up to strength.

Take the bus for a drive on nice dry days.

That's about it.

:goodluck:

And maybe keep the roof tilted a wee bit to let water run off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back