Madrid

QFour

Thought we might head south in September down towards Gibraltar. Is it worth going down the middle for a change through Madrid or is it better sticking to the coast. Might be a change of scenery. Thoughts anyone TIA

Love the rock, got mattied in the big hotel on the left, no gone and a hilton getting built on the site.
Catalan-Bay-1.jpg

I am not sure about going through Madrid, there must be some roads around it. However I have travelled down central Spain and love it. Roads are empty and lots of places to stop.

Go straight through the centre easy peasy much better than going round the ring road, haven't been through for quite some time, first time I went through was xa mistake, I took the wrong lane on the approach to Madrid, glad that I did as I used it on a regular basis from then on 👍👍also there were plenty of places to spend the night just a short distance from the duel carriageway.
Don't know what it's like now as I haven't used it for the last 5 years as we now go to Portugal via Salamanca etc.
Enjoy your trip and have a safe journey.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as we will be visiting Madrid and Gib on our next Spanish winter sun trio next January.

The only reason i would return to Madrid in a van would be the art. El Escorial and the Prado gallery probably together make up the greatest collections of paintings in the whole of Europe. Thanks to the Hapsburgs and the fabulous wealth of Spain.

The wife (a great art lover) persuaded me and surprisingly I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you do go down the middle other highlights I remember were Zargoza, Avila and Toledo.

As well as; Segovia, Avila and Toledo - all recommended, loads more places like these, which we have visited -
  • Burgos, aire close to shopping centre. 30 mins walk to centre, Castle & High Town walk, Contempory Arts Centre, castle with 62m well
  • Monasterio de Piedra euro 11.50 grounds with water features & building
  • La Ciudad Encantada (Enchanted City) bizarre rock formations that used to lie under water
  • Alarcon, dramatic walls, three defensive precincts
  • Consuegra, 11 windmills and a restored castle
  • Molinos D Viento, car park close to 4 windmills on a hill, 2 windmills open to visitors, free
  • El Burgo de Osma, colonnaded shops selling local produce
  • LasTablas De Daimiel, National Park, can stay for 2 nights free, with Isla de Pan walk
  • Baeza, well laid out aire with shady trees, near bus station, UNESCO World Heritage Site, fine buildings, narrow, winding streets, museum
  • Ubeda, aire backing onto public swimming pool, old town contained withing city wall, rich in Renaissance architecture UNESCO World Heritage Site
Easy to spend 2 weeks or more in this central area around Madrid

There is/was a venerable old gentleman, John Douglas, who was still towing his old Avondale caravan to Spain each year for Winter Sun, well into his 80s! He always drove a different route each year and wrote a very detailed blog of which sites he stayed at, whether all facilities, especially toilets and showers were open [and heated!]

John wrote detailed instructions on which route to take on the Madrid Ring Road, and, IIRC, how to get back on the right route if you made a mistake! Very detailed instructions and his Blog, though quite lengthy, and full of photos, was very well received each year. John Douglas Spain Trip with Blog Link. John's Post is number 7 [JayDug] and the Blog link is in the last line of his Post. This was in 2020, and I suspect that he may have succumbed to COVID and/or old age ...

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back