LV suspend travel insurance

korky

LV have announced they are not providing travel insurance cover to new customers for the time being,due to the implications of the current pandemic.They are concentrating on the needs of existing policy holders for the moment.

I can see my cruise on the river Douro in May is going to go belly up through this panic at the expense of the insurer or ABTA unfortunately.

We`ve been with LV travel insurance for several years now and thankfully not had to use it.

This years first foray abroad is on hold because the wife is worried about being put in a lockdown situation / not being allowed back to Blighty.

We`ve always said that if one of us is not happy / comfortable with a situation then we do not do it.

We`ve been with LV travel insurance for several years now and thankfully not had to use it.

This years first foray abroad is on hold because the wife is worried about being put in a lockdown situation / not being allowed back to Blighty.

We`ve always said that if one of us is not happy / comfortable with a situation then we do not do it.

Agree entirely...
We will almost certainly cancel our Canada trip.
Mrs J not happy
Me a touch concerned
Both also not happy with the possibility of losing monies paid...But that might well change before we actually cancel !

Agree entirely...
We will almost certainly cancel our Canada trip.
Mrs J not happy
Me a touch concerned
Both also not happy with the possibility of losing monies paid...But that might well change before we actually cancel !

Thankfully it won`t cost us anything delaying it because i only book the ferry a few days before we travel.

The only thing i do previous to going is to watch the GBP - Euro rate and if i`m happy i`ll put some on the Caxton FX at that rate which i did a few months back.

I noticed yesterday it was 8 cents lower than when i loaded the card so, whilst it`s not mega money for the quantities i load , every little helps, as they say (y)

Brother and sister in law have cancelled their June trip to UK from Oz.😢

Daughter and fiancee of one week are also due in UK from NZ in July, no plans to cancel yet.

We are booked for Canada in September and have no plans to cancel and not likely to unless it is cancelled for us.

My understanding is, if the traveller cancels their trip they will lose a % of their money as dictated by the travel company's T&C's. If the travel company cancel the trip then the traveller will get 100% monies back. I suspect travel company's will cancel trips that have much reduced passenger numbers from self cancellations.

We were going to hold back on getting travel insurance till July as we want to be covered for our 6 month trip to NZ next year, starting in January, as well as the Canadian trip this year.
Be keeping our eyes on the travel insurance industry, for huge price hikes and/or cancellations.

EDIT: I have just read that the travel company and/or travel insurer may not refund under 'certain conditions' which depends on each company at that time. Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't comes to mind.

Last edited:
if this virus is as infectious and widespread as the hype says it is staying at home isnt going to make catching it any less likely.

having said that were probably going to cope with a serious infection better at home in familiar surroundings.

for us the probability of being stuck somewhere for an extended period is the overriding concern.

weve not booked the easter trip to bilbao to see youngest son at uni, going to chichester to see daughter instead....we can allways sneak home through the lanes from there.

LV have announced they are not providing travel insurance cover to new customers for the time being,due to the implications of the current pandemic.They are concentrating on the needs of existing policy holders for the moment.
thanks, please keep us informed, please keep smilling. ok pj.

yes i like it, my wife and i try to do the same, thanks and cheeres, keep going, okpj

Daughter and fiancee of one week are also due in UK from NZ in July, no plans to cancel yet.

We are booked for Canada in September and have no plans to cancel and not likely to unless it is cancelled for us.

My understanding is, if the traveller cancels their trip they will lose a % of their money as dictated by the travel company's T&C's. If the travel company cancel the trip then the traveller will get 100% monies back. I suspect travel company's will cancel trips that have much reduced passenger numbers from self cancellations.

We were going to hold back on getting travel insurance till July as we want to be covered for our 6 month trip to NZ next year, starting in January, as well as the Canadian trip this year.
Be keeping our eyes on the travel insurance industry, for huge price hikes and/or cancellations.
I think that’s a wise move Ral ,,,,Canada or Nz travel insurers are guided by foreign office advice

It’s not panic. Everyone who can, should stay at home and stay away from everyone else. Do it now, unless you actually want Coronavirus.

Mrs QFour (retired nurse)
Are you sure it isn't panic. Far fewer deaths than from Flu. Those that have died had underlying health problems and would they not have suffered the same fate if they caught influenza?
Governments have to be seen to do something to satisfy the never ending media hype and the attitude that if we don't do as the others are doing we'll get critcised.

Are you sure it isn't panic. Far fewer deaths than from Flu. Those that have died had underlying health problems and would they not have suffered the same fate if they caught influenza?
Governments have to be seen to do something to satisfy the never ending media hype and the attitude that if we don't do as the others are doing we'll get critcised.
Just consider Italy !
Panic or not it is DIRE
ROI closing Schools
These are "extra deaths" yes 'flu is a killer but it does not seem to transmit as quickly/widely

After discussing and weighing up the options we have cancelled our trip.Jan my OH suffers from copd so it would hit her harder than most.Her doctor has advised her not to go as if we were unlucky it would be better treated at home than abroad.Nationwide flexplus had me on hold for an hour before i got through so obviouly a lot of claims going in.I,ll get charged £50 each for the claim for the ferry but always another day.

I suggest you have done the correct thing and only minimal financial loss !

We have got a few bits booked for Uk but at least with C&MC we can cancel them. We have a Spanish trip booked for September but we will wait and see with that one. We booked it direct with the site so not a massive hit if we have to cancel and we may get some of our deposit back or be able to transfer it to another time.

Anyone thinking of leaving the Uk to go touring Europe should IMHO go and see a psychiatrist ..

There are plenty of us put in Spain / Portugal just now. Keeping an eye on changes to see how it will affect travel plans.

EDIT: I have just read that the travel company and/or travel insurer may not refund under 'certain conditions' which depends on each company at that time. Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't comes to mind.
Had an email from Staysure about Travel Disruption Extension cover .If the FCO or whoever issue guidelines not to travel and you dont have that cover,your stuffed.

Been chaos on their phones all day and people haven't been able to amend policies online for the same reason.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back