LPG

Polar Bear

LPG

I am about to press start on the camper build. I have been hearing a lot about LPG not going to be available at many filling stations in the future. The question is should I build solo electric or bottled gas? and has anyone any advice on double-glazed van windows? https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/news-articles/uk-to-lose-half-its-lpg-filling-stations-by-2024-replaced-by-electric-charging-points/#:~:text=Get a quote-,Major retailer to phase out LPG stations by,replaced by EV charging points&text=Owners of Autogas (LPG) converted,its LPG pumps by 2024.

Last edited:
LPG

I am about to press start on the camper build. I have been hearing a lot about LPG not going to be available at many filling stations in the future. The question is should I build solo electric or bottled gas? and has anyone any advise on windows?

Trev will tell you to use Linux instead Wilhelm!

Seriously though I've had no problems so far with LPG, but I suppose it can't be guaranteed.

How are you planning to use the van? If you go 100% electric you are committed to use sites all the time.

I would go for 2 gas bottles and EHU.

I suggest you start with 1 refillable bottle and 1 exchange bottle. Use the refillable as the default and top up when 25% remains. Only use the exchange bottle when the refillable is empty and no suitable filling station.
If LPG becomes unobtainable you can always move to 2 exchangeable.

If possible have opening windows rather than fixed.
If fitting an opening window above a gas exhaust vent fit a device that prevents gas use when the window is open.

How are you planning to use the van? If you go 100% electric you are committed to use sites all the time.
That is not true. You can be electric and stay off-grid if you do your build appropriately.

I would go for 2 gas bottles and EHU.

I suggest you start with 1 refillable bottle and 1 exchange bottle. Use the refillable as the default and top up when 25% remains. Only use the exchange bottle when the refillable is empty and no suitable filling station.
If LPG becomes unobtainable you can always move to 2 exchangeable.
just a comment.... LPG does not mean refillable systems. I wish people would stop making these incorrect statements! LPG is a form of Gas, it is nothing to do with a filling method. Calor gas bottles contain LPG. Flogas bottles contain LPG.

If possible have opening windows rather than fixed.
If fitting an opening window above a gas exhaust vent fit a device that prevents gas use when the window is open.

My first question to Polar Bear is why are you not asking your question on Phil's sister site and free to join Motorhome Builder (https://motorhomebuilder.com/) where you will find some far more dedicated converters?

As for the point about LPG, I honestly do believe it will continue to be available for a great deal longer as there are a lot of commercial users (not transportation) who use it regularly, but when it comes to converting your van it might be better fitting an on board refillable lightweight gas tank of which there are several makes around.
Yes in the UK, at times it can be quite taxing to locate a filling station, but if you are travelling throughout Europe then the number of filling points is enormous most especially so many properties in rural parts, most especially France have to rely on LPG for their cooking

Looked at diesel cookers when doing current van, decided against it in the end, probably a mistake. All the diesel cookers look nicely made, but hefty prices for full cooker, but then some you can use to heat van too.

I would go for something simple that can easily be changed. I have one 11KG Gaslow with a filler on the side and a 6kg Calor backup. As already suggested above, use the Gaslow refillable as the default but when it gets low and if no top up is available switch to the Calor. You will always find Calor bottles. I never run out of gas using this method as you can pretty much always find a Calor bottle even if there are no LPG stations.

If LPG pumps do become more scarce you can then always replace the Gaslow (other brands are available) with say a 13kg Calor.

LPG

I am about to press start on the camper build. I have been hearing a lot about LPG not going to be available at many filling stations in the future. The question is should I build solo electric or bottled gas? and has anyone any advice on double-glazed van windows? https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/news-articles/uk-to-lose-half-its-lpg-filling-stations-by-2024-replaced-by-electric-charging-points/#:~:text=Get a quote-,Major retailer to phase out LPG stations by,replaced by EV charging points&text=Owners of Autogas (LPG) converted,its LPG pumps by 2024.
Sorry. I should have said AUTOGAS and not LPG.

I have looked at diesel-blown air heating and water heating. There seems to be a vast difference in prices for heaters. from £80 for a Chinese type and extra for a heat exchanger that there are a lot of bad reports about, up to £1900 for a Truma setup.

As for windows any recommendations on makes of opening double-glazed windows?

That video is almost as bad as his first one, he is just regurgitating what’s been known for ages but in a bad light. Should be some sanctions can be taken on stuff like that I think.not suggest you can run a van on a power bank would be laughable if so many people didn’t hang on his every word. You can’t be all electric all year round in this country without generators or sites. Sitting in Costa to recharge or using ev charging points is only going to lead to restrictions.

LPG is going to be around for at least as long as diesel and petrol although you may well not get it at the end of your street. Forward planning plays a big part as does always top up when you pass a pump rather than wait for it to empty.

Electric for summer and good harvesting days is workable. Then again I am all year round in my van so if you only use is Spain or summer or sites all electric will do

I still think my setup is, by a lucky occurance, the best option if using LPG* :)
one large refillable and one smaller exchangable as backup
(I originally bought and was going to fit two large refillables but the motorhome I ended buying had a locker designed for one large and one small, so sold on the 2nd large one).

* And to reiterate... LPG does not mean specifically the stuff that comes out a pump, it means Liquified Petroleum Gas, which is a fuel product and not related in any way to a specific mechanism of delivery which so many people on Youtube seem to think.

What DodgitJohn should have called his video is "AUTOGAS. The Facts". Then the topic discussed would have had a bit more grounding in reality

Smells from the cooking ?

There is no diesel smell from a correctly installed Wallas Hob ...

And that will do heating as well
Any more than there is no diesel smell from a correctly installed Eberspacher heater
Agree with the no smell.
But heating medium sized van may be not enough
However a 500 watt fan heater ( in bursts ) could solve that !

Agree with the no smell.
But heating medium sized van may be not enough
However a 500 watt fan heater ( in bursts ) could solve that !
Those wallas diesel hobs, if installed correctly, should be totally odour-free but the price of them is daft. I'd never have one for that reason alone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back