LPG stations near Plymouth

I need to find an LPG station near Plymouth. Anyone know of one which does stock it
The autogas app seems to be the only means of getting reliable info about garages that genuinely still sell autogas. Looks like your only option is the shell service station nr Saltash on the A38/A388 junction. If you're on the wrong side of the bridge you'll have to pay the toll to get there:mad:
Last verified 10th of this month. 01752 651359. good luck.

Thanks merle and Mr Pastry. Last time I tried to get some there (maybe a year ago) they were sold out so I hoped for others as a backup. I am in Cornwall so the bridge is not a problem.

The autogas app seems to be the only means of getting reliable info about garages that genuinely still sell autogas. Looks like your only option is the shell service station nr Saltash on the A38/A388 junction. If you're on the wrong side of the bridge you'll have to pay the toll to get there:mad:
Last verified 10th of this month. 01752 651359. good luck.
FWIW, the toll only operates one way and you don't have to pay going from Plymouth to Saltash. BTW, the Shell Caradon station at Trerulefoot is almost 10 miles West of the Tamar bridge. Toll is £2.60 up to 3.5t, £3.60 over 3.5t and £10.40 for tag axles but only eastbound.

Edited to remove incorrect info...

Last edited:
Shell Terulfoot don't do gas.
It's the shell just up from the bridge at Karkeel roundabout, and was Ok last week when I topped up.

Shell Terulfoot don't do gas.
It's the shell just up from the bridge at Karkeel roundabout, and was Ok last week when I topped up.
Thanks, my bad. Shell Caradon used to do LPG AIUI, but they've recently had a complete refurb (now also a Waitrose 'Service') and I guess they ripped out the LPG pump at that time. Gas is getting to be a PITA as I'm still on 6kg Calors and it took several days of phoning around recently to be able to get a standard 6kg in exchange for an empty 'Lite' now that Calor have withdrawn Calorlite and smaller cylinders.

Thanks, my bad. Shell Caradon used to do LPG AIUI, but they've recently had a complete refurb (now also a Waitrose 'Service') and I guess they ripped out the LPG pump at that time. Gas is getting to be a PITA as I'm still on 6kg Calors and it took several days of phoning around recently to be able to get a standard 6kg in exchange for an empty 'Lite' now that Calor have withdrawn Calorlite and smaller cylinders.

Have you tried these?
Screenshot_20230531_082858_com.android.chrome_edit_451680556701.jpg

Yes, I've used them before. FWIW, Southwest fuels are excellent, as are H E Goldworthy in Liskeard and both will deliver to me at home and also to local campsites. However, I was at the Metal Bridge Inn between Gretna and Carlisle (and on my way North to Blairgowrie) when my online cylinder ran out and I switched to the 'reserve'. Next stop was Moffat CCC club site, but the Camping and Caravanning Club had stopped selling Calor -- so no luck. When I got to Blairgowrie, I started phoning stockists listed as Calor retailers -- about a quarter no longer sold Calor; another quarter had no 6kg cylinders and all but the last one I phoned wouldn't take a Calorlite in exchange for a standard 6kg propane!

South west fuels do not have an autogas pump so no filling of plumbed in tanks like I have. I hope Karkeel OK but not answering phone so go and try later today. Hoping

How do they justify £2.60 per crossing when the Severn bridges have removed their charges. That is disgraceful, that bridge was paid for long ago. And why the 60p which means a likelihood of needing change, so taking much more time.

South west fuels do not have an autogas pump so no filling of plumbed in tanks like I have. I hope Karkeel OK but not answering phone so go and try later today. Hoping
I suspect that @Mr Pastry aimed the recommendation for Southwest Fuels at me. That said, I can confirm you are correct -- SWF do not have an autogas pump.

How do they justify £2.60 per crossing when the Severn bridges have removed their charges. That is disgraceful, that bridge was paid for long ago. And why the 60p which means a likelihood of needing change, so taking much more time.
While the bridge was paid for long ago, the maintenance isn't -- and there's also the Torpoint Ferries, which are maintained via the same fund as the bridge. Despite being part of the A38 (which is maintained by the National Highways Agency), the bridge itself is the responsibility of the Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry Joint Committee (TBTFJC), which is jointly Cornwall and Plymouth City councils. Original construction of the bridge was paid for from ferry tolls. In recognition of this, an undertaking was made at the time that the TBTFJC would never charge more to cross via the Ferry than they do via the Bridge.

AIUI, they're now trialling contactless payments (at least on the Ferry), but locals get to cross for half price via the Tamartag scheme. We just drive through, the tag beeps, the barrier rises; and your Tamartag account is instantly a half-priced crossing's-worth poorer! Since the majority of rush-hour traffic have tags, time taken is rarely an issue!

Yes I had one but I did not use it enough so they took it away or started charging a monthly fee whether I used it or not, I forget which. I call it yet another tax for living in Cornwall. Lets face it Plymouth is really the capital city of Cornwall, my post code is a Plymouth one 35 miles away and Truro is a small town compared and Devon has Exeter and Barnstaple as well.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back