LPG side filling in France and Italy

EarthDemon

This must have been asked a dozen times but I am unable to find any threads sorry.

What's the best bet for refilling with LPG if you have a UK side filling set up?

I think they are different in Europe, is there such a thing as a converter or what?

Many thanks

This must have been asked a dozen times but I am unable to find any threads sorry.

What's the best bet for refilling with LPG if you have a UK side filling set up?

I think they are different in Europe, is there such a thing as a converter or what?

Many thanks
3 different converters
Buy them online

You will need adapters

IMG_0687.png

Thanks folks, brilliant info as always - just ordered the three heads from LPGshop.co.uk.

I thought Italy had the same dish connection as France. I only have the French one and Im sure I filled up in Italy before. Germany I seem to remember is different but they generally have them behind the garage counter.

I thought Italy had the same dish connection as France. I only have the French one and Im sure I filled up in Italy before. Germany I seem to remember is different but they generally have them behind the garage counter.
that's good to know. This'll be my first time to Euro Land after five years in't van. Heading for Milan and then the Alps. Done the Milan run in various cars and bikes now it's van time.

REPSOL in Spain have apparently introduced a blanket ban on re-fuelling vehicles unless it’s for ‘road fuel’. On my trip I was refused twice and other camper sites seem to carry similar stories but then other Repsol stations didn’t bat an eyelid, I suspect it’s individual managers interpreting the rules differently ,I have a fixed underfloor tank so no bottles btw.

Many thanks
Didn't realise there was a "UK side". I have come across some pumps located on the "wrong" side for my setup. If island pumps, just drive the other side of the island - the hose usually reaches. If non-island, I just manoeuvre as required, reversing in if necessary.

I'm pretty sure most pumps/stations will have the ability to drive up either side, same as petrol.
In France the filler is assumed invariably to be on the righthand side of the vehicle i.e. our offside. This may require some manoeuvring as @TJBi has said.

In Italy you may be refused LPG for domestic usage (as opposed to use as vehicle fuel).

In France the filler is assumed invariably to be on the righthand side of the vehicle i.e. our offside. This may require some manoeuvring as @TJBi has said.
My filler is on the right-hand side of the left-hand drive vehicle, but a few French LPG pumps have necessitated reversing in!

I’ve used the dish connector in all of Europe I’ve been, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Sweden & Norway. No lpg pumps in Finland was almost a pain. I’ve not had occasion to visit Spain and use their version yet. I’ve filled in Italy without any issues. My biggest grief was in France one time when it took visits to 7 sites before I found a pump either working or with gas. The best was in Norway, hook it up to the pump, press the button and let it do all the filling automatically, and not get thumb-ache on the button.

My new Gaslow system has an adaptor that has to be screwed on for UK as their new inlet is changed from what it was. I was also supplied with a total of 5 adaptors all different.

Mine is fitted externally just behind the gas locker on the n/s (left hand passenger side)

@EarthDemon - there is a huge motorhome seller on the outskirts of Milan, to the north, and well worth a wander around for a few hours -that’s after stopping overnight at their free aire.

Camping Sport Magenta ( I think Magenta is a district)

Last edited:
In Italy you may be refused LPG for domestic usage (as opposed to use as vehicle fuel).
I agree, but this tends to be motorway services. We just drove to the next small town where they seem happy to accept your money. But as I recall, they prefer to operate the pump themselves, rather than let you do it. Just don’t call in at lunchtime, you may have a long wait!

Last edited:
I have diesel cap on left side and LPG on right but never struggled to fill up either. i would recommend you have a spanner/adjustable spanner to hand as I ve found that it can be difficult to detach after the fill presumably due to thermal contraction differences between the brass adaptor and stainless steel filler

Our Gasit adaptor which is supposed to fit Spanish pumps is such a poor fit it leaks very badly, so we have to ask the kiosl to lend us one that fits. There are detailed differences. They said it must be the fault of the Spanish nozzles not their product. A few years old now so maybe they now offer ones that fit correctly.

REPSOL in Spain have apparently introduced a blanket ban on re-fuelling vehicles unless it’s for ‘road fuel’. On my trip I was refused twice and other camper sites seem to carry similar stories but then other Repsol stations didn’t bat an eyelid, I suspect it’s individual managers interpreting the rules differently ,I have a fixed underfloor tank so no bottles btw.
Oh dear, that is a problem i did'nt know about having not been to Spain since 2017. I know that in Italy in 2018 it was against tax laws to serve/use road fuel LPG for domestic purposes including. campers, however, small country stations helped us out.
Bad news about Spain - wonder what's behind it? Tax changes maybe. Anyway, we're doing eight weeks in Ireland/ NI in 2024, so......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back