LPG convertor kit

Tara

Free Member
Hi there we have recently purchased a plot of land and will be leaving our motorhome there for a considerable amount of time but unfortunately there is no LPG station near us its a 120 mile return journey to the nearest station has anyone ever bought the convertor kit that would allow us to use bottle gas to fill up my husband has read conflicting opinions on this any help would be much appreciated

Hi there we have recently purchased a plot of land and will be leaving our motorhome there for a considerable amount of time but unfortunately there is no LPG station near us its a 120 mile return journey to the nearest station has anyone ever bought the convertor kit that would allow us to use bottle gas to fill up my husband has read conflicting opinions on this any help would be much appreciated
There are various ways of doing it but you can get a proper Gaslow hose that connects a Calor (or other makes) bottle to the fill point of an leg system

Could you not get a big stand alone gas tank and connect to the van, many country homes have them here and a truck comes and fills them.

My understanding is, the bottle won’t ’fill up’ your onboard but it will operate and supply your fridge/cooker etc by attaching it to an external bbq point
Yes, that's what the pipe I posted is for, running off an external bottle

That's what a lot of people do in Morocco. Turn the underslung gas tank off, then connect a local gas bottle and regulator to the gas barbecue point which backfeeds all the appliances from the external bottle. Bottled gas is so cheap over there, works out at around 25p a litre which is a quarter of the price of LPG at the pump in Europe. I even brought a full bottle back with me! It isn't guaranteed to work, apparently some gas barbecue points have a non return valve so you can't backfeed through them, but it has worked for everyone I know who has tried.

Attachments

• 123 Camping L'Ocean Bleu, Mohammedia, Morocco 20 December 2022.jpg
    123 Camping L'Ocean Bleu, Mohammedia, Morocco 20 December 2022.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 22
If you already have a refillable and want to use a bought cylinder of gas then all you need is a POL fitting which allows you to put the mushroom on the end of the pipe into it, you can even buy a big cylinder 47kg I think and stand it outside the locker door and run off that, best thing is to visit a Calor dealer and see what options they can give you, but it's all possible it just needs to run through a suitable regulator.

if you go Calor, ensure you keep the invoice in a safe place for when you have to return the cylinder once you've done with it or you lose your deposit, and it's not cheap.

One other thing, leaving any motorhome stood for a long time is not good for them, a caravan is a better and cheaper option.

I have a Bullfinch external BBQ point and have successfully ran the heating over winter from a large Calor bottle situated outside the van.
Try and get a very large Mobile Home type bottle, I’m sure Calor could advise you.

My understanding is, the bottle won’t ’fill up’ your onboard but it will operate and supply your fridge/cooker etc by attaching it to an external bbq point
The one Nabsim linked to doesn't require you to have or connect to a BBQ point, it fits directly onto the LPG filler point and is drawn the gas through the existing regulator.

Regards,
Del

Buy a bigger bottle, place it outside the van connected to the regulator by a standard hose.
When it is empty, reconnect your standard bottle for a couple of day while you exchange the bigger one.

Do not try and fill one bottle from another.
The chances are that your insurance will not cover you when (not if) the moho is destroyed by fire.

Buy a bigger bottle, place it outside the van connected to the regulator by a standard hose.
When it is empty, reconnect your standard bottle for a couple of day while you exchange the bigger one.

Do not try and fill one bottle from another.
The chances are that your insurance will not cover you when (not if) the moho is destroyed by fire.
Its proper Gaslow solution I posted, probably better for insurance than a big bottle outside going straight to regulator as its a manufacturers solution

If I read the OP properly, getting a bottle refilled isn't an option as the van is going to be parked long term.

I suppose if it's a cylinder it could be taken to be refilled.

If I’m looking for an empty bottle, I have a wonder around some ex travelers site there’s generally a few empty calors laying around
They are probably the 'ethnic group with human rights' that stole two new, full bottles from the front of my daughter's caravan outside her bedroom window one night. They just wrenched open the locker cover and slashed through the rubber gas pipes.

If I read the OP properly, getting a bottle refilled isn't an option as the van is going to be parked long term.

I suppose if it's a cylinder it could be taken to be refilled.
On the Isle of Man you can take a Calor bottle to a depot and have it refilled. You park up, give them your bottle and you stand outside a secure gated enclosure. You can watch what they do. They know what the full weight of a bottle is so it doesn't even matter if your bottle still has 1/4 tank in it. They put your bottle on a weighing machine, attach their lpg hose to it and fill it till it gets to the correct weight. then they charge you the cost of a new refill. But at least you can get it done.
I also know three sites where you can refill with water, for nothing . . . . .. and toilets. . . . and places to stay overnight.
But then, I used to live there.

Its proper Gaslow solution I posted, probably better for insurance than a big bottle outside going straight to regulator as its a manufacturers solution
No problem with your solution. It is the use of those cheap ebay devices for using a big bottle to fill a smaller bottle that concerns me.

That's what a lot of people do in Morocco. Turn the underslung gas tank off, then connect a local gas bottle and regulator to the gas barbecue point which backfeeds all the appliances from the external bottle. Bottled gas is so cheap over there, works out at around 25p a litre which is a quarter of the price of LPG at the pump in Europe. I even brought a full bottle back with me! It isn't guaranteed to work, apparently some gas barbecue points have a non return valve so you can't backfeed through them, but it has worked for everyone I know who has tried.
I noticed some of the Germans in Morocco were actually topping up their tanks from the Afriquiagaz bottles (4 quid to exchange a 13kg!!)
They would hang an inverted bottle in the sunshine & the warmth would transfer the liquid into the shaded underslung tank.
You don’t need to go through the bbq point, Gaslow supply a fitting that connects to the exterior filler & connectors for various bottles.

On the Isle of Man you can take a Calor bottle to a depot and have it refilled. You park up, give them your bottle and you stand outside a secure gated enclosure. You can watch what they do. They know what the full weight of a bottle is so it doesn't even matter if your bottle still has 1/4 tank in it. They put your bottle on a weighing machine, attach their lpg hose to it and fill it till it gets to the correct weight. then they charge you the cost of a new refill. But at least you can get it done.
I also know three sites where you can refill with water, for nothing . . . . .. and toilets. . . . and places to stay overnight.
But then, I used to live there.

In India they do exactly the same, in fact one day in Trivandrum I noticed a guy filling bottles & he was smoking a cheroot!!!

I didn't hang about!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back