LPG app

izwozral

Anyone looked at the FILLPG app recently? It's like a desert for LPG across the whole country. Apparently finding Calor gas is a bit of a problem also.
Depending on where you are and how far you want to travel there are still cheap outlets but they really are few and far between. We manged to fill up at The Gas Station just outside Birmingham, for 50p a litre. Birmingham seems to have more LPG than anywhere else at the moment.
Izzy's cousin is in the oil industry and he says the main reason has been the pandemic and lockdowns, all terminals are full but there has been no demand but as things ease, there should be more availability and gas production will ramp up.
Unfortunately, some filling stations are no longer doing LPG as it's not a big cash earner but are they missing a trick? We often fill up with diesel when filling LPG and more often than not we will buy something from the garage shop - no LPG we'll move on.

Because of the scarcity of outlets we have replaced our 6kg tank with an 11kg so now we have 2x 11kg which should last us a month or more.

I've been empty for nearly a month now I think? nearest possible place to fill up is around a 60 mile round trip IF available.

I noticed the other day when looking at this app https://www.autogas.app/ all the autogas stations had a red x on them saying no Autogas Temporarily Unavailable. Looking now most have gone off the app and are no longer showing. Our local bp station has took away the tank and are no longer doing lpg:(

Mike

It is a problem that won't go away i have a factory fit lpg tank .no space or facility to carry bottles , so what options have I got , heating is my big worry , a change to deisel for heating and cooking is an option, their are deisel marine cookers and heaters that would work in a motorhome , I think manufacturers will start to fit deisel options like the Truma d6 range , as the search for gas becomes more impractical , are any other members considering their options ?.

Last edited:
Not much use to you, but I am happy with my decision to go half and half - one Gaslow refillable and one Calor swappable to cover both bases.

No chance of carrying smaller bottles anywhere - or longer term if you think this will be an ongoing issue, fit an external storage box on the back and use it to carry a couple of Calor Bottles?

I haven’t had a problem so far but once one bottle runs out I keep an eye open. In the last month I have passed garages with lpg in Northumbria, Yorkshire and Wiltshire that I have noticed

I bought my two alloy bottles from someone here 2 years back and there is still gas in them. :)

It is getting scarcer. We use the LPG.eu app and are finding that it is often 30 miles or more to the nearest Autogas facility. I just wonder how much longer it’s going to be feasible to go refillable. We have a single Gaslow cylinder, we only have room for one. We did eight months round Europe in 2019-20 and Autogas was more common in most countries than it is in the U.K. if the government goes ahead with plans to ban the sale of new ICE cars, then availability will only get worse. Shell has already pulled Autogas from all its sites.

Not much use to you, but I am happy with my decision to go half and half - one Gaslow refillable and one Calor swappable to cover both bases.

No chance of carrying smaller bottles anywhere - or longer term if you think this will be an ongoing issue, fit an external storage box on the back and use it to carry a couple of Calor Bottles?
Don’t think a box on the back is a safe idea

I think they would soon be lifted. Calor bottles are major targets for the less savoury travelling community.

Don’t think a box on the back is a safe idea
Depends what it is made of, no? The typical side lockers are hardly hardened steel. If you are talking about crash protection at the rear, what about the caravans with rear gas lockers?

Theft Target? again, no more so than a side locker if properly secured.

I don't see a problem but each to their own.

On FillLPG quite a few stations showing LPG temporary unavailable but still a fair spread about though many close to 80p/L. Our local one is a caravan place at 65p/L which suits us fine as the 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles last about 2 months. Usually only think about refilling when first bottle runs out but plenty of time to plan where.

Shell has already pulled Autogas from all its sites.

This is not completely true.

Shell have discontinued LPG on the sites they own. However there are plenty of franchised Shell sites and the franchise holders can decide if they wish to continue supplying LPG.

You mention that you use the mylpg app.

If you have an Android device try the FillLPG app. In my experience it is much more reliable, in part because users can update availability through the app instantaneously. And users do.

Can't find a fillLPG app on the android play store so had a look at the fillLPG webpage and it had a link to the app. But it is dead think the app has been deleted from android.

Mike

No did not work on pc it says requested url not on server and on phone just has a pic of a satellite saying try again:(

Mike

This is not completely true.

Shell have discontinued LPG on the sites they own. However there are plenty of franchised Shell sites and the franchise holders can decide if they wish to continue supplying LPG.

You mention that you use the mylpg app.

If you have an Android device try the FillLPG app. In my experience it is much more reliable, in part because users can update availability through the app instantaneously. And users do.
I can confirm this I filled up 2 days ago at an independent Shell station on the A465 near Hereford.

If you don’t have an Android phone Filllpg is available online. I have created shortcuts on my iPhone and iPad home pages so it is just as easy to click on as an app. The web site is a bit clunky/slow to load, particularly when you zoom in but at least it is kept up to date, the other apps are often not up to date with UK info. I think this is because the taxi drivers use it, not just a few motorhome drivers.

No did not work on pc it says requested url not on server and on phone just has a pic of a satellite saying try again:(

Mike
I have just clicked on the link that Chris suggested and I installed it on my android tablet, are you trying to install it on something other than an Android device?

How strange tried it again galaxy s10 still the same so got my old samsung tablet out exactly the same and clicking the link on the web page to the play store says requested url not found:cry:

Mike

Screenshot_20210610-101953_Google Play Store.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back