Lost in France 2022 ?

Eguisheim last week.

22050128-D163-41A3-A4DD-2AA4F65C19C3.jpeg
F3615595-87FD-4F47-94FC-95311D4115E0.jpeg
A7C12DF8-C383-4634-8051-40DB24731712.jpeg
2D521861-316C-4246-91A6-CB3F23E349FE.jpeg
CF08B2FF-8A57-4751-A91B-4324A600508F.jpeg
EE8D5806-1EA3-456A-B5D2-6B7E64C166B2.jpeg

Colmar. Home of Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor who designed the Statue of Liberty which was destined for the Suez Canal, but they changed their minds and gave it to the Yanks instead.

They also have one in Colmar.

B788A9A2-C3FD-46A0-8C47-88E536694FA5.jpeg

We are (briefly) lost in France on our way to Germany in a small aire in Douchy le Mines just under two hours from Calais. Nope, we’d never heard of it either. It’s a very secure gated aire for 8€ a night. Electricity available for an additional 3€. Don’t think the town has much to offer here but it’s on the route of the Paris Roubaix bike race and there are some cobbled sections either side of the town we’d like to explore.

Attachments

• 23455D98-14A7-4E23-9718-5565BC623440.jpeg
    23455D98-14A7-4E23-9718-5565BC623440.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 55
We visited Dinan over the last couple of days, there are aires but we decided to stay on the municipal site as it was closer to the town and it's been quite hot for the small dog to do a lot of walking (he is 12 too). Today moved on to Josselin, on the free aire. Both of these have been on our list of places to visit for a while, but over the past few holidays we have been trying to get as far south as possible, as fast as possible so we have bypassed Brittany.

Photos tomorrow.

We visited Dinan over the last couple of days, there are aires but we decided to stay on the municipal site as it was closer to the town and it's been quite hot for the small dog to do a lot of walking (he is 12 too). Today moved on to Josselin, on the free aire. Both of these have been on our list of places to visit for a while, but over the past few holidays we have been trying to get as far south as possible, as fast as possible so we have bypassed Brittany.

Photos tomorrow.
Used to be able to park outside one of the gates in Dinan . Nearest to tourist office ?

Saint-Benoist-Sur-Vanne. Very peaceful free park up beside a School, ok to use in the school holidays up until 1st September and a welcome sleep. Only thing we heard were Owls.

EA3F4724-1916-4B81-8227-555C6036705C.jpeg

Aires at Lurcy-Levis south of Nevers. Stopped at Sancoins but no shade and it’s a touch warm. Only UK van so joined in with the locals vis a vis awnings and chairs. It’s also a picnic and leisure park and lake so no problem. Pay for water but otherwise free. As has everywhere else we have stayed.

Attachments

• 23241653-BCB3-4973-BB58-98007A066CC9.jpeg
    23241653-BCB3-4973-BB58-98007A066CC9.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 43
Used to be able to park outside one of the gates in Dinan . Nearest to tourist office ?
I saw that car park but there were only cars in it. I didn't pay much attention to restrictions, but SfS suggests daytime only is allowed. I suppose we could have driven in and gone back to an aire but once we are set up, we prefer not to move. And the traffic was pretty jammed in town too. So the municipal suited us well (plus several showers and a load of laundry).

Aires at Lurcy-Levis south of Nevers. Stopped at Sancoins but no shade and it’s a touch warm.
Great Spot was extremely warm in June but Thunder storms at nite heres a short clip of one which broke both our skylights most of the vans had some damage broken wind screens,headlights, solarpanels & dented bonnets etc

Reactions: 2cv
Great Spot was extremely warm in June but Thunder storms at nite heres a short clip of one which broke both our skylights most of the vans had some damage broken wind screens,headlights, solarpanels & dented bonnets etc
Blimey. Sky looking a bit turbulent this morning, May look for a tunnel to hide in…

We only stopped one night at Josselin - the aire had to be cleared by 9.00am Saturday, so rather than an early start we moved on. We are now on Quiberon. We are using the municipal site at Rohu for convenience. I've had a swim in the sea, and we walked into Quiberon town today - twice for me, because OH wanted to look at the marina, and doing that plus the town would be too far for the smol dog. I wanted to get some photos of the seafood stalls so I walked in again myself in the afternoon. They closed at 12.30. :mad:

So I've done about 8 miles today. I deserve a glass of wine large enough to tilt the earth's axis.

Last edited:
We only stopped one night at Josselin - the aire had to be cleared by 9.00am Saturday, so rather than an early start we moved on. We are now on Quiberon. We are using the municipal site at Rohu for convenience. I've had a swim in the sea, and we walked into Quiberon town today - twice for me, because OH wanted to look at the marina, and doing that plus the town would be too far for the smol dog. I wanted to get some photos of the seafood stalls so I walked in again myself in the afternoon. They closed at 12.30. :mad:

So I've done about 8 miles today. I deserve a glass of wine large enough to tilt the earth's axis.
Something else on in Josselin ?
Been there a few times for Saturday market and not had to move .
Unless there is more than one Aire ?
Hopefully in France before end of month . Thanks to all for information, photos etc

Two Aires. The one at top of town is cleared for the market. There is campervan parking down the other end of town by the canal. Easy walk to town or along the canal to the chateau. Grass parking for thirty plus vans.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back