loch awe

Guy

Has anyone ever wildcamped at Loch Awe.(Argylshire) Not on the B840 side but the Kilchrenan to Ford side. On the map it is a white unclassified road, i was wondering if it was ok for a motorhome to go down. I am hoping to explore there next week,also around Loch Avich looks good, but again i dont know if it accesable.

Has anyone ever wildcamped at Loch Awe.(Argylshire) Not on the B840 side but the Kilchrenan to Ford side. On the map it is a white unclassified road, i was wondering if it was ok for a motorhome to go down. I am hoping to explore there next week,also around Loch Avich looks good, but again i dont know if it accesable.
yes the road is fairly good there is a picnick spot where I stopped at one time but be aware a lot of the lochside is on a private estate but there are signs to advise on this the picnick spot is ideal

Myself and hillwalker were there in July and it is a lovely picnic spot near ths south end the road is narrow and we had our worst nightmare on it with a logging lorry ,we both agreed it was a lovely place but we would never take a van back up that road again,but in saying that the lower road up from the south side (off the Oban lochgulphead road) is quieter than the north inlet.
It was Scary we drove all the way down the locals drive too fast white van man and lorrys on single track thats up and down with some nasty corners,it was bad enough in a camper and would advise anyone with a motor home not to do the whole road ,come in from the south at night to the picnic spot honestly dont go any further up as there is logging going on but we naver seen the lorries come down the bottom part of the road .

Last edited:
We will be coming in from the east from Arrochar. Do you think it would be safer to come down the B840 on the other side of the loch. Has anyone been down that way.Is there anywhere to stayover on that road. Where abouts is the picnic spot you mentioned.

you'd be much better off on the north side of the loch.....
several great picnic spots between Ford & Dalavich.
the one at Kilmaha is my favourite.
apologies for not contributing lately ......
computer problems ... ggrrrrrr.
am presently in southern Germany ....
heading down to Corfu for a month
(sun,sea,sand & ---),
then back to Greece for the winter.
will send some photos to cheer you up in January.

Looks like it would be better to travel down the b840 from cladich then travel back up from ford to explore the north end of loch awe and travel round loch avich ending up at kilmelford.I will be going onto seil island to from there.
Thanks for the advice.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back