Location App support thread

That is correct. The icons, such as the key one also do not work.
This sounds like javascript is disabled.
Can I just make sure that you do not have any security/privacy/antivirus software running.

This sounds like javascript is disabled.
Can I just make sure that you do not have any security/privacy/antivirus software running.
None of which I'm aware. There's no sign of any such software running. Javascript is enabled on safari. There doesn't appear to be any way to access javascript control on Maxthon.

Hi Phil.

Samsung Galaxy A40 Android 10: Followed the installation instructions for Android as far as possible. However, tapping Location App in WC menu opened the app, which then displayed a dialog box with two options: Install to Home Page and Install to App Page -- I tapped both. After a short bit of activity, no icon appeared either on the Home Page or the pull-up App screen. Also, even though I already have Google Location enabled, Samsung Location installed without my permission.

There is no "..." menu in the app but there is the usual menu (3 horizontal lines) that's part of Samsung Internet's auto-hide at the bottom of the screen. However, I couldn't find an option to add the App to the Home Screen and so I tried enabling PWA full screen. This did no good whatever and also the auto-hide menu is now visible as soon as each web page (including the app) opens and now only hides when a page is scrolled down. This takes up about an 1/8 of an already small viewport and is impossible to hide when in the app.

Since the app isn't actually installed (doesn't appear in the list of apps on the App settings), I can't uninstall and reinstall it. Resetting the app data does nothing and I can't find a way of getting the auto-hide menu to return to hidden by default. H-E-L-P!

Edited to add: Further investigation trying to add a shortcut for the Location App web page to my Home Screen turned up a slightly different method to Phil's instructions that opens a list of targets that include Bookmarks, Quick Access and Home Screen for just about any web page except the Location App. For that, the options offered are Bookmarks, Quick Access and Saved Pages -- but not Home Screen. It's starting to look like the Location App cannot have a Home Screen shortcut in Samsung's version of Android 10 and about the best that can be done is to add it to the list of bookmarks.

I still haven't found a way of restoring the Samsung Internet auto-hide menu to its default behaviour and I'm beginning to wish I'd never tried the new Location App...

Last edited:
Hi Phil.

Samsung Galaxy A40 Android 10: Followed the installation instructions for Android as far as possible. However, tapping Location App in WC menu opened the app, which then displayed a dialog box with two options: Install to Home Page and Install to App Page -- I tapped both. After a short bit of activity, no icon appeared either on the Home Page or the pull-up App screen. Also, even though I already have Google Location enabled, Samsung Location installed without my permission.

There is no "..." menu in the app but there is the usual menu (3 horizontal lines) that's part of Samsung Internet's auto-hide at the bottom of the screen. However, I couldn't find an option to add the App to the Home Screen and so I tried enabling PWA full screen. This did no good whatever and also the auto-hide menu is now visible as soon as each web page (including the app) opens and now only hides when a page is scrolled down. This takes up about an 1/8 of an already small viewport and is impossible to hide when in the app.

Since the app isn't actually installed (doesn't appear in the list of apps on the App settings), I can't uninstall and reinstall it. Resetting the app data does nothing and I can't find a way of getting the auto-hide menu to return to hidden by default. H-E-L-P!

Edited to add: Further investigation trying to add a shortcut for the Location App web page to my Home Screen turned up a slightly different method to Phil's instructions that opens a list of targets that include Bookmarks, Quick Access and Home Screen for just about any web page except the Location App. For that, the options offered are Bookmarks, Quick Access and Saved Pages -- but not Home Screen. It's starting to look like the Location App cannot have a Home Screen shortcut in Samsung's version of Android 10 and about the best that can be done is to add it to the list of bookmarks.

I still haven't found a way of restoring the Samsung Internet auto-hide menu to its default behaviour and I'm beginning to wish I'd never tried the new Location App...

Samsung Galaxy A40 Android 10: Followed the installation instructions for Android as far as possible.

When you open the location app on your device in Google Chrome the browser has a three-dot icon that is the menu for Google Chrome. This is where you will find the Add To Home Screen option.

However, tapping Location App in WC menu opened the app, which then displayed a dialog box with two options: Install to Home Page and Install to App Page -- I tapped both. After a short bit of activity, no icon appeared either on the Home Page or the pull-up App screen.

The boxes that appear when you open the app have instructions on them, they do not install the PWA unless you are using Google Chrome, they just tell you how to do it.

Also, even though I already have Google Location enabled, Samsung Location installed without my permission.

The app has no control of location services either Google or Samsung. When you use the near me function the web browser that you are using will ask for permission to see your location. If you followed the instructions this can only be Google Chrome as this is the web browser that you need to use to install the PWA.

The app in no way changes any of the default Samsung settings on your device. It does not change the PWA behaviour on the device. The setting in the APP to display PWA in full screen only alters the PWA manifest for this app and nothing else.

I would suggest that you go to 'navigation bar' in Display settings and check the auto-hide settings in there.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I thought that Samsung Internet browser (the default on my phone) was just a rebadged version of Chrome. However, I found Chrome lurking in the App Drawer and followed the instructions and now have a shortcut on my Home Screen.

However, attempting to install the app in Samsung Internet caused Samsung Location to be installed and caused the behaviour of the auto-hide menu to change. I'm not saying that the app itself did this, just that (for example) the app's reliance on location services might have caused the browser to install Samsung Location and either that, or something inoccuous in Chrome, messed up the menu. Whatever, Samsung Location does not appear in the list of apps that can be uninstalled and even hours of searching through menus and the Internet haven't turned up a way of resetting the auto-hide menu. FWIW, Display->Navigation Bar does nothing for Samsung Internet's auto-hide menu and there seems to be nothing in the browser settings to do this.

Thus it seems that attempting to install the app in what I thought was the right, but turned out to be the wrong, browser has irrecoverably modified my device. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a warning in the instructions for Samsung users that the app should not be opened in Samsung Internet and must be opened in Google Chrome?

Thus it seems that attempting to install the app in what I thought was the right, but turned out to be the wrong, browser has irrecoverably modified my device. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a warning in the instructions for Samsung users that the app should not be opened in Samsung Internet and must be opened in Google Chrome?

It is not possible to install the app from the Samsung browser. It is also not possible for the app to change any settings on your phone or browser software. Samsung Location is part of the phones default software it was not installed by the app.
The auto-hide function
Come on everyone !
Lets start adding reviews.
I have done all my French stopovers
I am now moving on to UK
Maybe aim for 5 a day as that is a healthy number !
That’s really good of you.

If all our members have the same attitude then everyone benefits.

It is not possible to install the app from the Samsung browser. It is also not possible for the app to change any settings on your phone or browser software. Samsung Location is part of the phones default software it was not installed by the app.
The auto-hide function
[...]
Yet it happened. I installed the app and things changed. On tapping the "Install to Home Screen" button on the popup dialog, a message advising installation of Samsung Location appeared, the browser menu behaviour changed and I haven't been able to change it back. Whether or not the app installed or changed anything, the changes were consequent to attempting to install your Location App and it only seems fair to warn other Samsung users (who, like me, might wrongly believe Samsung Internet to be just rebadged Chrome) of the issue -- or at least mention that it must be installed in Chrome and not Samsung Internet etc.

Strange !
I submitted reviews previously (Mainly France) They are OK
Recent UK reviews do not respond to te submit
So POIs say (no reviews) BUT I can edit reviews but they do not submit ?
Windows 10 Google Chrome
=========================================================================

PS Toilet icon good !
Maybe do 2 tap icons for WS /WT

eg
1597111806424.png
for wt and
1597111876174.png
for standpipe or
1597111974092.png

I am sure you canfind suitable icons of the above 1 and 3 nicely differentiate between wt and ws no 2 is not sufficiently "different" (IMO)
I realise there are copyright issues

Last edited:
Strange !
I submitted reviews previously (Mainly France) They are OK
Recent UK reviews do not respond to te submit
So POIs say (no reviews) BUT I can edit reviews but they do not submit ?

They were in the approval queue, this has now been resolved and will not happen again.

OK
Thanks,
I will be more patient in future.
It was an issue, I had set the member trust level incorrectly on the last update. I also updated the location coordinates to include degrees, hours, minutes, direction.

Am running IOS 10.3.4 on the Ipad (thats the latest I can get) so installed Maxthon 5 browser, but all I can get when I try the app is a black screen where the map should be. :(
The icons for filter, settings, map type, favourites around the edge of where the map should be, are all there though

Have checked Javascript is enabled (for Safari) and I'm not knowingly running any extra firewall etc

:unsure:

It was an issue, I had set the member trust level incorrectly on the last update. I also updated the location coordinates to include degrees, hours, minutes, direction.
Still no progress
My reviews are still awaiting but not showing..
Perhaps the NI one at Glenarm is stuck in the queue and holding up the others as it is submitted but awaiting your review
If NI points cannot be added then just delete it !

Still no progress
My reviews are still awaiting but not showing..
Perhaps the NI one at Glenarm is stuck in the queue and holding up the others as it is submitted but awaiting your review
If NI points cannot be added then just delete it !
I have tweaked again.

Am running IOS 10.3.4 on the Ipad (thats the latest I can get) so installed Maxthon 5 browser, but all I can get when I try the app is a black screen where the map should be. :(
The icons for filter, settings, map type, favourites around the edge of where the map should be, are all there though

Have checked Javascript is enabled (for Safari) and I'm not knowingly running any extra firewall etc

:unsure:
Hi, You are opening it in the maxthon browser not safari?

Me again
All my UK reviews are still in LIMBO
except for a new one today ! that has been submitted about 30 others I can see my review but they do not respond to the submit button

Hi, You are opening it in the maxthon browser not safari?
I read the instructions to mean if your IOS is less than 12.2 you needed to load Maxthon. Therefore I assumed you ran it from Maxthon. However, have tried running in Safari as well, but get the same result. I even set up the app on the Ipad to see if that would help, but it didn't

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back