Local recipe Yorkshire drop puddings

runnach

Occasionally as a boy , my Dad would harp on about the drop puddings my grandmother used to make sadly she died when I was Young ..it isn’t a conventional Yorkie served with a pudding mix but s subtlety different mixture ....my dad always had it with milk often with a Bramley apple filling the bramley local to where he lived in Southwell notts..where I am Dewsbury we have the rhubarb triangle on the doorstep.

Ultimately choose any fruit you fancy, it could be jazzed up with cinnamon and cream

The yorkie I have done in a remoska but I find works best the boots heated by gas for a normal oven treat as you normally would

As a kid Andrew, my mum would make the Sunday roast with Yorkshire puddings of course.

Often we would have Yorkshire puds for dessert as well. Served with a nice dollop of Strawberry jam, they have a sort of doughnutty taste, which is not surprising really.

I've not tried this for ages, so I might get Julie to rustle me some up this weekend.

Mum would cook a huge Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday.....served as a starter.
Then Sunday lunch.
Your mum a traditionalist, a lot of the old folk still do it that way, they were originally a starter and filler when folk had little money for meat. . I note with interesT on the website I quoted above a Yorkshire company is selling tins in the states and they are doing a storm ...they are delicious imho as a starter served with a red wine and red onion gravy,,,,food of the gods

Thanks, Andrew, never heard of Yorkshire Drop.

Hope you don't mind, I've copied the recipe from your link and pasted below 😉

CLASSIC YORKSHIRE RECIPE – YORKSHIRE DROP
INGREDIENTS
  • 4 ½oz/125g plain flour (sieved)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½oz/40g sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 rd pint/200ml milk
  • Fruit as in season
METHOD
  1. For Rhubarb, wash and cut into chunks about 2-3 cms/ 1-1 ½ inches long. Lay on a baking tray and sprinkle Demerara sugar over the chunks.
  2. Cook in the oven (325F, Mark 3, 160C) for about 10-15 minutes until tender but still in whole pieces. This way the Rhubarb retains its maximum flavour.
  3. Wash and dry other fruit carefully. Slice fruit such as plums.
  4. Make the batter as for Yorkshire Pudding. Mix the eggs and flour with a wooden spoon. Mix in the sugar, salt and milk and beat to the consistency of cream.
  5. Let it stand for about half an hour or so and stir occasionally to let the air in.
  6. Butter an ovenproof dish and pour in the Yorkshire Pudding batter mixture.
  7. ‘Drop’ in the fruit into the mixture and cook in a preheated moderately hot (Grandma called this temperature ‘quick’) oven for about 45 minutes (Mark 5, 190C, 375F). The batter will rise to perfection. See for yourself!
You can read more about Grandma’s life, her passion for baking and over 200 traditional baking recipes (including some Yorkshire recipes) in her book and ebook www.grandmaabson.com
https://www.yorkshirepudd.co.uk/world-baking-day/

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½oz/40g sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 rd pint/200ml milk
  • Fruit as in season
METHOD
  1. For Rhubarb, wash and cut into chunks about 2-3 cms/ 1-1 ½ inches long. Lay on a baking tray and sprinkle Demerara sugar over the chunks.
  2. Cook in the oven (325F, Mark 3, 160C) for about 10-15 minutes until tender but still in whole pieces. This way the Rhubarb retains its maximum flavour.
  4. Make the batter as for Yorkshire Pudding. Mix the eggs and flour with a wooden spoon. Mix in the sugar, salt and milk and beat to the consistency of cream.
  5. Let it stand for about half an hour or so and stir occasionally to let the air in.
  7. ‘Drop’ in the fruit into the mixture and cook in a preheated moderately hot (Grandma called this temperature ‘quick’) oven for about 45 minutes (Mark 5, 190C, 375F). The batter will rise to perfection. See for yourself!
You can read more about Grandma’s life, her passion for baking and over 200 traditional baking recipes (including some Yorkshire recipes) in her book and ebook www.grandmaabson.com
No problems Marie thanks ...I’m thinking carnation milk and Logan berries or even wild blackberries foraged would be interesting ...the mixture slightly different with the addition of sugar

My old man used to do most of the cooking in our house when I was a kid.
Occasionally he would stir in a handfull of sultanas into the mix.

Brilliant.........can still taste it now.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½oz/40g sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 rd pint/200ml milk
  • Fruit as in season
METHOD
So pleased to have this, my mother used to make what she called 'apples in batter' I suspect this was it! My great grandmother always served a thick Yorkshire pudding, that had been cooked under the roast, as a starter. I always do mine like that but not so thick, I'm not a big fan of the puffed up little ones.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back