Live and Learn

lenny

Following the exploits of this weekend away in the wilds ,I,ve learned of two more "must have,s" for the future:)

1) Walkie talkies:eek:

2) A reversing spotlight for the rear of the van:eek:

Why?, the last time in this area I learned that our mobiles were useless cos of poor signal and impossible to keep in touch with each other in case of emergency, Walkie talkies saved the day ,this weekend:)

Also whilst searching for new sleepyspots under the cover of darkness ,I came unstuck once or twice where I found the route inaccessable :eek:, reversing at night is a nightmare when your door mirrors show blackness when having to shunt back and forth to get turned around.
Maybe a spotlight under the rear bumper wired up to the reversing light would solve the problem:cool:

I dont think that the walkie talkie would have a good range except to talk to the person behind you while reversing in the dark:D
But a reversing spot light, yes yes yes, what a good idea:cool:

The walkie talkies I borrowed from work had a range of 3 miles,supposedly:eek: ,but 1 mile would be enough, just to keep in touch with the bairns;), I will have a spotlight fitted ASAP :cool:

walky talky

Lenny
we purchased a set of 4 walky talkies with that problem in mind .
Tried them out in the woods here and got reception up to about 3/4 mile
they are probably a line of sight reception.The old CB sets were supposed to be for 10 miles but as you know they could DX in certain conditions for 100 miles
I have spoken to Jersey from Montrose on car CB. No doubt our experts on the site will confirm the ranges.
have fun
weez
Tony

I had a cb with sidebands and when the skip was right i spoke to stations all over the world.

Last edited:
Live and learn

I think these cb sideband sets were never legal only 27 mhz or 49 mhz good idea of walkie talkie for keeping in touch with your party though.we are all constantly learning Lenny:)bet your name is mud in your house,Andy.

If you use your rear fogs when reversing into blackness they help a lot.

I think these cb sideband sets were never legal only 27 mhz or 49 mhz .
Hi messenger,
Yes you are right the AM rigs were never legal, only the FM one's which came along later.
Walkie talkie's seem to be the best option but I don't think they would be any good if you were somewhere like the Lake District or the highlands of Scotland.
However they did save the day for Lenny so they have to be a good thing to have in your van.:)

In an emergency situation :confused: you can always remove your rear light lens :eek: and swap brake light bulbs for side light bulbs! :rolleyes: Used to do this on docks when dropping trailers at night! :cool: :cool: JIM

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back