Little bit of North East News

"Redcar and Cleveland Council is proposing putting two traffic regulation orders in place after complaints from residents in the village about camper van and motorhome users parking overnight on Cowbar Lane and some staying for days. “

In my campaigning days, I would use a report like this to ask the council for details, please, of these complaints. Under the Freedom of Information Act.

Invariably there have never been the number of complaints alleged, usually none. With research I could produce a record of requests about complaints and their responses – but I would usually report on Wildcamping anyway so they are here for anyone wanting to research council responses. You might remember Fleetwood where opposition resulted in a trial in favour of motorhomers or the Highland Council (Dornoch Beach, was it?) who, when presented with their own FoI response began investigations into providing aires. Or North Yorks who said “thousands” and produced two. That resulted in the possibility, rejected by the council, of an aire at Whitby Abbey. A possibility overwhelmingly supported by the public, Whitby Council and local business organisations. But rejected by Scarborough Borough Council.

More disturbing is this statement “A total of 150 responses from the public have been received by a council over controversial plans to restrict parking at Cowbar, near Staithes. “

On the couple of occasions where I've been aware of a questionnaire sent to residents the questionnaire has always been biased. Never asking whether a local legislation is required but the extent of it. Questions like: “Do you agree that motorhomes should be allowed roadside parking unlimited for time?” “Do you agree that the council should bear the expense of providing facilities for motorhomers?” Questionnaires like this are usually used before implementing Public Space Protection Orders and those I remember right now are Rother and also Brighton and Hove PSPOs. But there have been others.

Perhaps someone will ask this council for details of complaints received over, say, the last three years?

If someone does ask, my forecast is that there will lhave been none or only one or two and results might be based on the questionnaire – which could be obtained using the FoI too – which will, this is my forecast, found to have used questions designed to produce a specific response.

Creating outrage where none existed before. Fairly normal procedure.

Had a quick scan through the Redcar & Cleveland Council site and could only find this page.

Link: Council to review car parking across Redcar and Cleveland

The only reference from that page about campervans was this:-

Designate and publicise Majuba Road as a campervan-friendly car park for overnight use
  • Redcar and Cleveland's attractions, especially coastal, attract a number of visitors by campervan throughout the year. Having designated locations where the caravans can park overnight is an attempt to add some structure to this parking. This may also require additional enforcement of motorhome/campervan parking in other areas of the borough.
Just have to wait and see what they come up with, I guess.🤷‍♀️

So the car occupants are completely innocent and we have committed 100% of these crimes. I really do despair sometimes. But I will bet if they stop us from parking these problems will persist.
You are of course correct but you may not have noticed how cunning these car occupants are.
They park up, sneak across to a campervan, go inside, come out with a toilet roll, cross to the farmers field, walk back to the campervan and then sneak back to their cars. Cunning eh?

You are of course correct but you may not have noticed how cunning these car occupants are.
They park up, sneak across to a campervan, go inside, come out with a toilet roll, cross to the farmers field, walk back to the campervan and then sneak back to their cars. Cunning eh?

The car occupants are not as cunning as the councils who persecute us.

I use the ‘Visitors’ car park OUTSIDE of Cowbar when fishing and cannot understand how locals could find it a problem. Access to Cowbar is a single track for locals only and certainly not suitable for MH’s
Could it be a complaint from one of the holiday home or Campsite owners as we have seen before?

I use Cowbar regularly, again for fishing. A local who lives in one of the top cottages came over and asked if I needed water just to let him know.

On another note, silly season is upon us, with Motorhomes parking on the grass along the Stray at the weekend. Two had set up camp, using wind breaks to cordon off an area. Others where doing the same, but just using their vans. Someone was even tent camping.:eek:
It has been commented on, and some of the natives are getting restless. I despair.

The reason Redcar and Cleveland council want to add structure to the Majuba rd carpark, is that it's full of boy racers on an evening. So they are hoping we'll displace the boy racers, and provide income, or they'll say cheapskate motorhomers won't support the local community by using the facility. It's a win win situation for them. But they'll still blame us for any mess.

The reason Redcar and Cleveland council want to add structure to the Majuba rd carpark, is that it's full of boy racers on an evening. So they are hoping we'll displace the boy racers, and provide income, or they'll say cheapskate motorhomers won't support the local community by using the facility. It's a win win situation for them. But they'll still blame us for any mess.

There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that pesence of motorhomes does reduce crime and anti-social behaviour in the places they park. Sometimes the evidence becomes a little more than anecdoal.

"At both locations a reduction in antisocial behavour has been observed."

2021-04-27_182444.png

Something we should make more of perhaps?

Or here perhaps?

View attachment 96889

I feel myself returning to campaigning..
Tom Powney talks an awful lot of sense .
Whilst there is still a lot of blind ignorance about , his statement and the one from Fylde , show there is hope

There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that pesence of motorhomes does reduce crime and anti-social behaviour in the places they park. Sometimes the evidence becomes a little more than anecdoal.

"At both locations a reduction in antisocial behavour has been observed."

View attachment 96887

Something we should make more of perhaps?
Maureen&tom,
Just to say I used the car park area at Cowbar last night arriving at tea time to find it clean & tidy we visited the local establishments in the village having couple of drinks & meal. When I left this morning it was still clean & tidy with 3 other campervans within the car park, I also noticed another 2 campervans on the layby area directly off the main road who had opted not to venture down the single track road to the (open for all) car park.
With regards to your mention of Motorhomes reducing crime of which I agree, it seems strange that Scarborough BC has decided to ban overnight stays in the Marine Life Centre even though this was their policy a few years ago to deter vandalism & break ins to the Marine Life Centre building. Sad to say it seems this car park has now been handed over to the undesirable car thugs of an evening. Thanks

I'm at Cowbar overnight, and I've parked in the layby off the main road anticipating that the car park might be full.

This is indeed the case with four motorhomes and around a dozen cars. No vehicles are parked on the grass verges approaching the car park.

There are notices posted regarding proposed orders to restrict the parking. See the photo.

One change will see prohibition of parking at any time along the length of the lane. The lane has a very wide level grass verge along large lengths which could be used for parking without significant impact.

The second change is draconian. The apparent desire is to restrict overnight parking in the car park by motorhomes. The order if approved prohibits parking by all vehicles at any time unless the owner holds a residents' permit, or a blue badge.

It is a swingeing 20210430_184105.jpgchange. The car park is signed as a visitors' car park.

So if approved people visiting friends or relatives in Cowbar will be unable to park legally, and other visitors to the village or walking the Cleveland Way will likewise not be able to park.

This approach is exactly what local authorities should not be permitted to do.

Unfortunately the date by which comments may be made has long passed. I hope the locals have objected in large numbers.

Probably R&C's plan to get everyone to use the Staithes side pay and display carparks.

Probably R&C's plan to get everyone to use the Staithes side pay and display carparks.
Doubt it. Staithes car parks are owned or managed by Scarborough Council Not R&C

I think we can provide a bit of a security presence. In the 80s about five of us would go off in a Commer Caravanette to Bassenthwaite lake in the lake district and we had a nice little agreement with the boat yard on the lake where they rented and built canoes. The owner there was more than happy for us to stay as long as we wanted FOC as he felt it was extra security. They did have a few break ins but never when we were there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back