Liesure Battery Health

bobj808

Free Member
I'm sure this has been asked plenty, so apologies. I won't be using my mh much over the winter and it will be stored nice and snug under the car port. I'll give it a run every so often. Looking for advice - do I just plug into the mains to keep the leisure battery charged or use my digital charger which is connected directly to battery and only operates when it detects a voltage drop. We used it for our mx bikes (has a 12v motorcycle setting) and I know it is safe to leave on 24/7. Thanks, Bob.

I'm sure this has been asked plenty, so apologies. I won't be using my mh much over the winter and it will be stored nice and snug under the car port. I'll give it a run every so often. Looking for advice - do I just plug into the mains to keep the leisure battery charged or use my digital charger which is connected directly to battery and only operates when it detects a voltage drop. We used it for our mx bikes (has a 12v motorcycle setting) and I know it is safe to leave on 24/7. Thanks, Bob.

Without knowing more, I would guess both would do the same job.

However if you use your digital charger just make sure it has the best chance to stay cool, and that is the same as the vans own charger, help it to remain cool.

:drive::drive::drive:

If you can leave it plugged in to the 240 volt supply, why not just buy a 7 day timer and set it up to charge for a couple of hours once a week? You can just use the onboard charger.

Even though you are only maintaining your batteries if it is a motorcycle charger there is a good chance you will ruin your charger as it was only designed for small batteries. If it also has a car setting I would leave it on that. Or do as Maingate says and forget the bike charger, especially if your intention was to plug your charger into one of the sockets in the van.

Hi thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the separate charger and see how it performs. It is one of these small smart ones for all 12v batteries, just that it has a menu button where you can select different levels of charge, including a motorcycle setting. I'll put it on the smallest charge rate I can and hopefully will be fine. Point noted about the cooling. Thanks all, Bob.

well stick in a small oil rad and moustraps leep it warm and rodent free and use the motor bike battery charger just put rad on min setting and open up on nice days just to keep condesation levels down

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back