Lesson learned!

eldiva

Ok, ok I know, I've read all your advice, but I was so desperate to get back on the road that we set off Sunday early evening for a jaunt from Yorkshire to the Lincolnshire coast, giving the kids a treat by going over the Humber bridge. I had my directions to the recommended wildcamping stopover and reckoned we could get there before dark. Hmmm, didn't reckon on a toilet stop for the kids, a fuel stop for the van and a fish and chip stop in Cleethorpes for me cos I knew I'd be too tired to cook :eek:

So, by then it was pitch dark, driving along the lincolnshire coastal road looking for Huttoft car terrace:( "What exactly is it?" says hubby for the 100th time, "I don't know!!" I scream back again :mad: Until, finally we find it, but can't see a thing, hubby's too scared we'll sink into the sand, I'm concerned by the torches on the beach, which we later find out are the local, very friendly night time fishermen, but which my paranoid, urban mind is convinced are drug-crazed yobbos :eek:

Anyway, turns out to be a great stopover and we spent 2 fab days there. So thanks for the tip, and next time we'll take the advice and not turn up at the stopover in the dark :D:D:D

Love this wildcamping thing, and sooo glad I found this site, thanks :D

Kate x

Pleased to hear you had a fab time, Kate, but dont be too hard on yourself;), I,ve been in the same position myself a few times :rolleyes:, I quickly learned It,s not a good idea trying to find a spot in the dark. I think It,s best to find your chosen spot in daylight then return under the cover of darkness if this is possible.

Kate, conversly we've done the opposite... turned up too early and stuck out like a sore thumb, and ended up moving on until we found somewhere at dusk.

Thanks for the support! I think when you have children with you it kind of magnifies any worries you might have! It's all fantastic experience for the boys though, and, hopefully will give them plenty of happy memories :).
Next trip is a long haul down to legoland at Windsor for the eldest lad's birthday, wish us luck ;)

Kate x

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back