Leisure Battery Problem

This is what I ordered and is quoted in the documentation. As you can see it only has 2 posts but the battery that turned up (photo above) had 4.

Very strange. Might be worth giving the supplier a call.

A 4 post should do the job, but it isn't what you asked for. I can find no mention of A B or C. You could ask them the quesion.

Might be worth telling hem your problem see if they have any thoughts.

If you do please publish on here so we can all lern.

On a four post battery 2 are for short time use, i.e. starting the vehicle and 2 are for continuous use. Are you using the correct two terminals? Four post batteries are not normally leisure batteries but I could be wrong.
Many leisure batterys have 4 terminals.

Alpha batterys give comprehensive details of batteries on their Web site .

I had the 4 post Xplorer batteries on my boat and they were fine.

They are a bit of a hybrid starter/leisure battery which doesn't sound promising, but they performed well in both capacities on the boat.

I would have thought 4 posts was an upgrade on 2, although I have no need of them. I doubt this is the problem but need to explore all avenues. It was a budget battery and I accept you get what you pay for.

However, it is wrong of me to comment before having spoken to the supplier, which I will do tomorrow.

I had the 4 post Xplorer batteries on my boat and they were fine.

They are a bit of a hybrid starter/leisure battery which doesn't sound promising, but they performed well in both capacities on the boat.
look here

I've never heard of 4 post batteries before, but I do wonder if maybe your using the wrong posts?

look here

I've never heard of 4 post batteries before, but I do wonder if maybe your using the wrong posts?
The second pair of posts are connected to the same place. It really doesn't matter which you connect to.

The problem is not in the battery. It must be in the wiring, because he is still seeing 12.7 volts on the battery after the power goes off - unless I misunderstood the description of the problem.

You may well be right, I really dont know, but the link seems to say different.

The difference between 2 post batteries and 4 post batteries is 2 posts. It is no more or less complicated than that.

Having 2 +ve and 2 -ve connections simply means you can have much tidier wiring, especially when parallelling batteries and so using pretty chunky cables.

12V 110AH Xplorer Leisure battery (679)

This is what I ordered and is quoted in the documentation. As you can see it only has 2 posts but the battery that turned up (photo above) had 4.
The 4 post battery is a factory option. I think Alpha are tending to select that option (albeit at an extra cost) as it makes for much nicer cabling (if there were a choice between the two styles on a Leisure Battery, I would ALWAYS opt for the 4 poster :) )

Not being there it is hard to say whats wrong, but id hedge my bets its the charging/distribution unit that's gone wonky, the only way with electric is test one bit at a time, have a look and see if there is a thermal overload fuse/trip anywhere as this may explain why it works for a short time before tripping.

So an update. The hab lights today run for an hour today before it all tripped out - this a big improvement on yesterday morning at 2 minutes and yesterday afternoon at 20 minutes.

However if I switch on the TV/DVD it trips out within about a minute.

All is fine and no trip outs on EHU

This leads me to think I need to just keep charging it (although it reads 12.70) or, as Trevskoda suggests, the charging/distribution unit has gone wonky.

I did speak to Alpha - they said they were out of stock of 2 posts so sent a four post which is slight an upgrade. They said some people use the extra posts to connect solar but they can be ignored.

I’ll see if more charging solves it. If not I’ll need advice on testing.

Thank you all.

when the power cut, did you check the battery voltage?

His earlier reply to my request for more tests.

c1) During that first minute, what reading do you get on the control panel

c2) After that first minute, what reading do you get on the control panel

I asked him to confirm that c2 was with dead circuit rather than just 60 seconds, still awaiting response.
You did take the "After that first minute" to mean "when the 12v has stopped working" didn't you. ?
The connector on the +ve wire looked a bit dodgy and like it was held together by gaffer. I suspected it could loose contact after it got a bit warm.

I suspect the ArScilicii AL-BK20 but don't know anything about them.

A&N used to offer a testing service for ArScilicii but since my good friend Allan passed I don't know if they still do.

I am coming to the conclusion that there is an issue with the ArScilicii AL-BK20.

Just seems strange that it comes at the same time as you installed a new battery.

My only suggestion is that you contact http://www.WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN/
I used to work and ride with Alan (The A of A&N - his wife Natalie being the N) but he passed a couple of years ago, so I can't offer an inside contact.

They are arsilicii experts and might have ideas / suggestions. They have a contact form on the web page.

Thanks R4dent the link was blocked but I think I’ve found the website - Alllan Evans. There looks like a lot of useful info here which I’ll read through

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back