Leisure Battery Install Attempt....advice welcomed :)

gypsyheart

Good Morning to all and Happy Weekend!
I'm thinking that today is the day I will try to connect my shiny new leisure battery to my starter battery with a smartcom split charge relay in between. Then, I'm thinking, I will run my leisure battery to a 12v fuse box. Here's the deal. I have not a clue what I'm doing ha ha....boom!
My van is a 97 Transit Hi-Top LWB.
So far, I have installed the leisure battery on the passenger side of the engine, where, conveniently, there was a lovely space designed for such stunts.
I have run positive cable (bought on a reel from Halfords....) behind the paneling and through a spare grommet (lovely) so it is hidden, the wire runs from the battery through to a point above the side sliding door where I intend to place my 12v fusebox.
I haven't yet connected anything to anything. In my dreams, someone who knows what they're doing is standing next to me and saying right, now put this there and put that there....then everything will work! I am eager to do this myself, but also a little concerned to get it right for fear of any fire hazards in my little box of tricks :)
I imagine the following setup, but this is where I am asking for simple, lay-womans terms, advice....please and thank you...
I earth the leisure battery to the chassis. Do I need to use heavy duty cable for this or will any cable work as long as the connections are good?
I connect positive wire to the leisure battery in the direction of the starter battery. I install an in-line fuse as close to the battery as possible, then continue the wire to the split charge somewhere between the leisure and the main battery. Then, additional wire to the starter battery, again, with an in-line fuse close to the battery.
I need the positive wire to the fusebox in the rear which I have already put in place. Does this need to be a specific kind/size/voltage/ampage? When I reach the fusebox (it is a simple 8 x 12v box, the kind which they sell at Halfords), I assume I will need to loop that current from one point to the next point. Good or bad? Right or wrong? Also, what happens on the other side of each fuse connection? Does each one have to be earthed individually from the other side, or an I concoct something along the whole 8 points that will earth all of them?
My needs are very simple. At the moment, the only thing I want to connect is some led strip lighting in the back. I got an 8 x fusebox so that I had the option to add other things if & when I want or need to. The only other things that would be connected are my 12v TV, which I currently run off the starter battery using a 12v plug, and maybe, occasionally, to use the 12v cooler/warmer box that is sitting idle in the back. I assume, at some point, once I get my sink hooked up, I will add a switched water pump. Really my 12v use is light and fluffy, but I still want to do it properly :)
Fellow wildcampers and self-builders, I would just love it if you decide to offer any advice on this one. I am happy to post pictures of any part of my adventure. I really, truly, appreciate all and any information, links or helpful hints. Thanks for remembering I know nothing about voltage, currents or amps...I only just recently learned that they all mean different things......Lord help me lol
Thanks and I hope you're all having a great weekend :)

From the content of your post you really are guessing....take advice from the previous reply's...please!

You can cause a lot of damage if you get this wrong...e.g. cable rating is VERY important

that is why i put up the link as there is a important paragraph in it

The size of some of the wiring of the leisure battery is quite important. The wires associated with the COIL of the relay on terminals 85 and 86 is not critical, 0.75 mm sq is quite sufficient for mechanical strength. However the wiring associated with the main charging path to terminals 30 and 87 needs to be a thick as one can sensibly use. 10mm sq is not unusual, in some applications where the battery is some way away from the alternator even thicker. Similarly for the leisure battery negative cable.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank you all.
Oldish Hippy, your links definitely make everything clearer to comprehend, thanks so much. I will read several times before I try anything ;-)
Pete, I will do just that! Thank you very much, listen out for the bell...I'll have pen & paper ready lol :)

I would also recommend staying away from Halfrauds, if you go to a good independant motor factor they should be able to advise, or possibly a camping supplies shop (not a glorified national supermarket chain). either of these should be able to supply the bits you need.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back