Leisure battery draining on journey?

Matt Chrome

Hi all,
My friend has asked me to ask your knowledgeable selves about a problem that he is experiencing on his Peugeot Boxer campervan.
His leisure battery seems to run down very quickly during his journey to the sites that he visits. He has had his leisure battery tested and also charged before leaving. He tells me that his engine battery has always been fine and that he has never had a problem with it. Any ideas of the possible cause?

Last edited:
What's it connected to? What sort of power does in draw? It could be duff! Batteries are a funny subject and should not be fully discharged and this impairs it life.

He's not running the fridge from the leisure battery is he without charge from the alternator is he?. That would definitely drain the battery on a journey. The only time it's ever happened to me was when my leisure battery had given up. That's all I can think of at the mo.

He's not running the fridge from the leisure battery is he without charge from the alternator is he?. That would definitely drain the battery on a journey.

I`ll have to check with him later, but I forgot to mention that the campervan is fitted with a split charger, which should have kept the battery charged right up. So he was wondering if that maybe faulty?

I spoke to my friend today and he assured me that there is nothing left on inside caravanette, in fact if the motorhome is not driven, the charge remains for months, but loses most of its charge during the drive to the site! Any ideas? Thanks....... Matt.

I spoke to my friend today and he assured me that there is nothing left on inside caravanette, in fact if the motorhome is not driven, the charge remains for months, but loses most of its charge during the drive to the site! Any ideas? Thanks....... Matt.

A couple of possibilities spring to mind:
1) The split charge relay had lost its connection to the alternator or engine battery, but is still switching the fridge supply on.

2) There are 2 relays, a split charge one and a fridge one, and the split charge one isn't working.

AndyC

A couple of possibilities spring to mind:
1) The split charge relay had lost its connection to the alternator or engine battery, but is still switching the fridge supply on.

2) There are 2 relays, a split charge one and a fridge one, and the split charge one isn't working.

AndyC

Thanks Andy, I`ll be sure to pass this message on!

Tell him to try leaving the fridge switched off while he is driving and see if it makes a difference.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back