LED Lamps with Toggle - Switch 75x 115x 21 mm

Dowel

Saw these in Poundland at 2 pounds each and thought worth trying as they have 2 COB LED arrays. Not the most elegant things but tucked under a wall unit or shelf not much of them might be seen. Subjectively two units are bright enough (for me) to illuminate a worktop in a van. Light colour is acceptable, not overly cold blue. Maybe a handy replacement for a dead 12 V. fluorescent strip light.

There is not much inside and they could easily be reworked to fit into a better looking enclosure, without the switch if preferred.
The case is opened by pressing on the long sides to release the moulded hooks visible in the photo, 2 on each side.
The two screws from the back of the case only hold the switch parts together in place so need not be disturbed.

COB 2.5W LED Lamp £2 Cased.jpgCOB 2.5W LED Lamp inside.jpg

They run on 3 AAA cells (rechargeable would be OK) but could easily be hacked to run from the van's leisure battery with an inexpensive DC-DC Buck converter like this:
DC-DC Step Down Converter 5-36V to 1.25-32V 5A Buck Voltage Regulator NEW GA | eBay

A cheap Chinese module but supplied from a UK address, 4.10 pounds delivered. This one has a volt meter built in for convenience. Output is 5 amps max so if the output was set at 4.5V then the unit could supply up to 9 of the light units.
There are many similar on ebay the cheapest direct from China if you can wait a few weeks.
Available without the voltmeter and less output current for less money.

If that sounds too difficult, 4 could be connected in series directly to the 12 V system in the van if that many on simultaneously suited your requirements.

I will be trying them in my van conversion but not yet progressed that far.

Hairydog I agree. I was surprised to find shelves emblazoned with £2 signs. They now have £5 shelves too, pass me the smelling salts mother!
Obviously it allows them to extend their market and with a bit of selling in 2fors and 3fors allows them to keep up with items that inflation would otherwise have pushed out of their customers reach.

They have had sets of 3 LED surface mount lamps with a RF remote switch and dimmer, battery powered again, for £5 but I left that one on the shelf.

As to “generally worthless crap” I think they have raised their game a bit but some items meet your specification, a set of lip and spur drills for wood which looked well made but lip edges were damaged or wrongly sharpened and about a third of the drill shanks were slightly bent. Cash refunded without hassle.

Their mains voltage 3 and 5 Watt LED bulbs were short lived when first introduce but are now ok, replaced 11W CFLs satisfactorily.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back