Leak

Toffeecat

Hi all. Well after a pretty crap week at work and working late again last night I fell asleep after just a few drinks. Still no worries I have the motorhome and I can do those jobs I need to sort after a long winter. Well all was well and everything works. Thanks for the water tank advice. Then i flushed the system All was going well until i noticed a load of water in the garage. On inspection it was under the oven aswell. Quick poke around and the culprit was found. Adria in their wisdom fitted the nice soft close sink as you can see. The tap in the picture is far to tightly fitted. The pipes have no slack in them. Every time we use the tap it felt loose. Each time the sink is opened you see the tap just lift a little. Well the leak is coming from the water pipe. Its worked itself loose and actaully came away from the tap in my hand. Its just a crap design. Far to tight. Now its easy to see but im stumped as to how to get at it. I can remove the front panel but to be honest the sink needs removing and better joints/pipes. Any ideas and any recommendations on a caravan fitter? I was over at Johns place at Shildon and hes doing a bit of an electrical upgrade and im sure hed sort it easy but if i can I will.
20210220_111426[1].jpg
20210220_111120[1].jpg

If it’s ‘SNAPPED’ off the tap fitting then it’s obviously best to put a new tap on.
That’s going to be a bugger to ‘Repair’ unless you can Glue it with epoxy or a similar but compatible Pipe Glue used in House Waste runs.

Cheers mate. Im pretty good with spanners but ive no idea how to get behind the sink. The front panel below the sink removes easily but still no access to the tap. I think it will need the sink out or trace the pipes back which ive done and remove the pipes at the fitting and pull the tap and pipes out the hole. The fittings are a nightmare, tucked way up behind the oven. Oh to have my old Elddis back! Im an analogue fella in a digital motorhome.

Can you not take the tap itself out in the conventional way somehow by getting to the Tap nut on the underside with like a Socket

The designers and fitters of mohos should really consider that various fitments will break down or wear out and build their interiors accordingly.

Its not like they're cheap to buy!
I'm sure for the extra amount of time and materials it would take them to do this, the cost would be negligible set against the end purchase price?

I'm a belt and braces person, which is why very few modern production line mohos appeal to me.
They can look very plush and 'top of the range', but start looking beneath the veneer and it's a different story, imho.

But, TBF, the quality of a lot of ready made fitments bought in to kit out a motorhome isn't there any more.
That wouldn't be such an issue - if they bothered to fit them out so you could easily access to repair or replace down the line!!!

It looks like you should be able to glue that back in as an alternative to a new tap, or pehaps the rest of it will unscrew?
As to access, all I can add is where there's a will there's a way!

Maybe it would be worth investing in a cheap endoscope to see whats what. Toolstation do one for about £30 I think

Can you not take the tap itself out in the conventional way somehow by getting to the Tap nut on the underside with like a Socket

The nut that holds the tap in place was so loose i unscrewed it by hand. the tap wont come out its hole as the pipes are so tight. The only way is to unscrew them where they meet up behind the oven and thats really bad to get to. If i was 2 ft tall it would be so easy. Missus went on the Adria forum. Again a common problem, poor quality fittings. A good few have replaced them with decent quality ones. If this a "quality" built model id be very afraid of cheaper ones. Ive posted before that i used to work in a car factory in quality and nothing like this would ever be allowed, even tiny bits of dirt in paint isnt accepted. I even inspected certain models and was stunned the terrible quality of the build and the stuff so models were made of. Looking at it id guess the entire cupboard will need taking out to allow access to the tap. What a faff on! So far Ive had these problems:

Two door catches broke
One bed catch broke
Water tank dump valve dead
Gas regulator replaced
Water pipe to tap now FUBAR
Bed hinge catch dead

Thats in two years. And on my old analogue Elddis:

One catch died and i could fix anything.

Modern motorhomes eh! Any idea of a decent engineer not in Shildon in case Johns busy in the Durham area who could help. Oh well, its beer night. Life always looks better after alcohol. Funnily enough so do I.

hard to see how it all works ,how the basin is hinged etc .i would be tempted to cut the white plastic around the tap with a multitool to remove old tap , then cover the hole with a new piece glued on and new decent quality tap fitted

Well folks ive finally found the problem, i think. Managed to remove the toilet sealer gasket, the front plastic panel pulls out and i could have a good look at the pipes. The pipe pushes into the tap. It has a little "o" ring to seal it. Then theres a very tiny plastic plug that pushes into the tap through the pipe to stop the pipe sliding out. The tiny little 0.00000005p plug isnt fitting well, looks like its slid out allowing the pipe to come loose from the tap. Cheap yes, effective no. Why not use proper fittings. ££££ perhaps? Oh well now to try to fix it. If you hear screeming in your part of the country its probably me.

looking at it again i think that whole piece the tap is fitted to is held in by the white sealant . cut round that with a stanley and pull it out

That looks exactly like the one i replaced in the kitchen of our Compass Castaway 500LL last year.

The only way i could get to the large black plastic nut to undo it was to take out the whole sink and separate hob unit.

Then using both hands one on either side i just about manged to get my fingers to the nut which was very loose, it was a pig of a job.

Well folks i was right. The water system was killed by the tiny little green plastic part you can see in the pic. Basically the two pipes shove into the tap. They have a little rubber o ring to seal it. To stop the pipes coming out the tiny little plastic part is shoved in and fits into a groove in both pipes. The part has smapped in half allowing the pipe to fall out the tap. In sure anyone with a workshop and a bit of metal could make one but as i dont have either, any ideas where i can get this from? Im sure Adria will change £££ and ill be retired by the time it gets here. So anyone know where i can get the bits from? Plastic! Would you believe it!
20210220_155423[1].jpg

What an absolute farce! This just makes me happy we returned our brand new van within six months and had a conversion instead. Lucky you are confident enough ( and skilled) to repair it. At least there is fine at the moment while we are waiting to be let out!

I think they make the stuff to be as light as possible which makes them fragile. With mine its very well put together and i like the design but theres just to much plastic making stuff fragile. Oh well, until next time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back