Lead crystal batteries ?

suneye

Hi I need to replace my leisure battery in in my self build van. I can't justify the expense of a lithium battery but am interested in a lead crystal battery or lead carbon, price wise they fall between an AGM battery and a lithium one. There are some bold claims made for them but at the price don't want to make a mistake. Has anyone any experience of these?

Last edited:
With the falling price of.lithium it makes battery choice difficult .the weight advantage lithium is a big plus .check. lithium at alpha batterys

Are Lithium batteries so good that the cheapest of the cheap will still be better than a good lead battery?

Charging in cold weather rules them out for where i live about 4 mths of the year, i rather just add a extra lead acid than bother with all the crap to run lithium.

We have solar no ehu which isn’t always kind to batteries especially this year when there has been a lot of not being used

I have no personal experience of them but I do remember somebody posting on a boating forum that they did require a quite fussy charging regime.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I can't find the post now, but it might be worth googling the charging requirements.

We have solar no ehu which isn’t always kind to batteries especially this year when there has been a lot of not being used
From what I've read lead crystal requires charging short high current charging, not long low current, but then I'm no expert on batteries.

Yes I've done a bit more digging and there does seem to be a question about charging, am trying to find out a bit more about the lead carbon one's. These seem to put up with inconsistent charging, last longer, less sulphation but still come in under £200 for a 100ah . Might be worth a risk?. I don't know how old the one in the van atm is as it came with the van but it has suffered from all the lack of use and charging with this years staying at home.

Hi I need to replace my leisure battery in in my self build van. I can't justify the expense of a lithium battery but am interested in a lead crystal battery or lead carbon, price wise they fall between an AGM battery and a lithium one. There are some bold claims made for them but at the price don't want to make a mistake. Has anyone any experience of these?

One of the advantages of the Lead Carbon battery over the standard Lead Acid battery is that the Lead Carbon does not mind being left in a PSOC (Partial State of Charge), whereas the Lead Acid battery prefers to be recharged to full as soon as possible for optimum life.

Having a PSOC-compatible battery is ideal for the typical Wild Camper as on the typical trip, you never know when your next full charge will come.

Lithium Batteries are also fine at PSOC - and in fact, can prefer it - so again are great for Wild Camping, and have a lot of other advantages of Lead Acid batteries (Lead Carbon or otherwise). But initial buying cost is not one of them!
If you can afford the upfront price of Lithium, it is worth going for as in the longer term they are usually the better value solution.

Apart from initial Price, the two 'gotchas' for Lithium are cold-temp charging and monitoring.
1. Cold Temp charging must be avoided unless your batteries can manage and/or prevent it. Adding on extra circuitry to manage this can add a fair bit of cost and complexity, especially if doing it for just one battery.
2. You cannot use a simple voltmeter to check on a Lithium Battery. The difference between full and just about empty is too small in terms of voltage difference to be able to tell. You need to install an SOC Battery Monitor for this at an additional cost. Handy thing to have anyway of course, but it is not simply an option with Lithium but a requirement.

I've not seen one yet as not landed in the UK, but the Poweroad Infinity Sub-Zero has both 'gotchas' above covered within the actual battery and looks like a great option. The cheaper Poweroad Base does not have battery monitoring or cold charging (it might have protection preventing it though? no sure if it does or not).

Yep I understand the advantages of lithium but I don't want to pay that much for a battery and as our first destination when this pandemic is over will be Norway to see my son I don't think its the best choice for us. Looks like the lead carbon battery might be the best choice. Now to find a good price! Thanks for your input everyone. Sue

See DP posted the same recommendation :)

Depending on when you need them by (I am going to guess you could hold off possibly a couple of months for the right battery?) then couple of suggestions...

This is a decent Lead Carbon GEL Battery
showing out of stock but you could call/drop Alpha a message to check when back in.

I have a bank of 3 of the similar Ritar Lead Carbon AGM Version which will be available again in a few months time I believe (the AGM version has a greater cycle count IIRC)

Thanks. Had also looked at this one! Thanks Unfortunately won't fit in the space I have. Probably going to go for this one
Don’t go for that one, for some weird reason they state it cannot be charged below 0c this is not the norm for Lead Carbon so it could be a typo on the data sheet however Leoch have to date ignored my query.

I am currently building a second van and right now lead Carbon offers some excellent features and performance over and above standard lead acids, without the limitations or costs of lithium however that may change by the time I need to buy them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back