Laying your Motorhome up for the Summer

maybe the impact of the fuel strikes of 2002 (I think 2002?) are still on my mind. That was a right pain!

Well you should not have to worry about it freezing :)
Keep the tyres pumped up and the battery charged and we will have to see how things turn out. :)
I am currently laid (layed ?) up in southern France and we had snow this morning. In these topsy turvy times anything is possible!

Since I was sent home from work a week last Tuesday following the French government lockdown I have only been outside once and that was to get some fizzy water and some flour from my motorhome pictured here. I have turned off my wifi in the van and will expect the solar panel to keep my batteries charged. Sorry no pics of the snow as it didn't last long. I am not actually at my home as that is a 10
IMG_20200319_141231[2410].jpg
hour drive from my workplace but at my girlfriend's as she is only 45 minutes away.

I want to do an oil and filter change as it is long overdue anyway. But you should warm the oil up before changing - but not allowed to drive it to warm it and letting it idle is not the best way either.
Letting it idle for hours on end is not good, but running it long enough to warm up won't do any harm. Ice cream vans idle all day, every day, and still seem to survive.
An hour or two idling every few weeks won't hurt it.

The roads are quiet up here, not much fuel being used so I doubt if there will be a fuel shortage. Also Costco premium diesel £1.06
Crude oil prices are very low and dropping. If oil storage capacity gets full (which will possibly happen in a week or so) we may see fuel prices drop to unheard-of lows.

This is a tricky one....
I want to do an oil and filter change as it is long overdue anyway. But you should warm the oil up before changing - but not allowed to drive it to warm it and letting it idle is not the best way either. Hmmmm

ref keeping the Starter Charged up. For anyone who has hookup to their Leisure Battery, but the starter battery does not get anything, this kind of lead can be handy - https://amzn.to/3amlWyf.
Plug one end into the cigar lighter in the dash (usually permanent live) and the other to a lesiure battery 12V socket and that will keep the starter at the same voltage as the leisure.
(I know it says "currently unavailable" - it is just a link to show the kind of cable to look for)
Not supposed to leave a vehicle idling these days either I don’t think!!!

Since I was sent home from work a week last Tuesday following the French government lockdown I have only been outside once and that was to get some fizzy water and some flour from my motorhome pictured here. I have turned off my wifi in the van and will expect the solar panel to keep my batteries charged. Sorry no pics of the snow as it didn't last long. I am not actually at my home as that is a 10View attachment 78081 hour drive from my workplace but at my girlfriend's as she is only 45 minutes away.

does solar charger work without power on??

does solar charger work without power on??
I only disconnected my wifi, I left the main 12volt switch still on. My leisure batteries and vehicle battery will still get charged when the sun shines which it has quite a lot since I've been here. Actually I removed my 4G router and brought it indoors as often the 4G is better then the broadband we have here. If we have a sustained period of poor weather, I have sufficient cable to reach the EHU but don't really want to do this.

Don’t think I’ve got a split charger so can’t rely on solar to keep the van battery charged ... should I disconnect it? If not, how long would I need to run the engine to keep it charged? I’ve heard conflicting opinions on doing this. Also, I’m parked on a hill so can’t risk leaving the handbrake off. How can I minimise the brakes locking?

Hi Carol,

Turn the wheels into the kerb, put bricks/wood/chocks/whatever against back wheels and offside front wheel, put MH in gear, you can then leave the handbrake off.
Someone will be along soon re:battery. 😘

I put the winter fridge vents back in place today to try and discourage insects and wasps etc setting up home.

Davy

Thanks, that reminds me that I must take mine off as we use the fridge to enable shopping less frequently.

I put the winter fridge vents back in place today to try and discourage insects and wasps etc setting up home.
I cover the Truma heater exterior exhaust/inlet as well had a problem with dead flies blocking the fan once

Omg, Witzend, thanks for the info and don’t want to seem like a dizzy ... erm ... blonde, but no way I could do that!
It's just a simple wire with 2 croc clips one either end with a fuse in connecting the 2 positive terminals of leisure an engine batterys measure the length and get it made

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back