Landward Scotland

Fisherman

Just watching Landward on BBC One Scotland right now.
They just covered the problems with tourism in Skye.
I may be wrong but I don’t think I saw one Motorhome, not one.
We saw cars filling carparks (something we are pilloried for), cars parked on grass verges, parked in passing places, cars and people aplenty. Don’t get me wrong I know we are part of the problem. But how big a part, that’s the question.

Last edited:
We saw cars filling carparks (something we are pilloried for), cars parked on grass verges, parked in passing places, cars and people aplenty. Don’t get me wrong I know we are part of the problem. But how big a part, that’s the question.
Even before things were busy Skye always felt too mainlandish and never had that Hebridean feel.
Some stunning scenery but all a bit scruffy IMO. Best bit about Skye is the ferry to Harris.

'Over tourism' (?) is being recognised as a big problem everywhere. I would bet we all have favourite places that just aren't the same any more .
We are a very minor (but very visible) part of that problem .
Unfortunately many think we are all freeloaders . Many are plain jealous .
Wandering in mainland Europe at the moment , don't think (apart from real hotspots) we're seen as a problem

Even before things were busy Skye always felt too mainlandish and never had that Hebridean feel.
Some stunning scenery but all a bit scruffy IMO. Best bit about Skye is the ferry to Harris.
We avoid Skye in the warmer months Cale, it’s gorgeous in winter. (If you get the weather). When I am there it feels like it’s recovering from the summer madness, and when you head in for a meal or a coffee, your business is appreciated much more. We don't do any of the Fife carparks now in summer much preferring to do them when things have died down a bit. Scotland can be awesome in winter when most of the motorhomes are parked in peoples driveways, and the cars are far fewer. As for the Hebrides hopefully next year we will head to Barra and work our way up. We were supposed to go to Tiree a few years ago, but had to postpone, I intend to visit Tiree and Coll also.

Reactions: Cie
We avoid Skye in the warmer months Cale, it’s gorgeous in winter. (If you get the weather). When I am there it feels like it’s recovering from the summer madness, and when you head in for a meal or a coffee, your business is appreciated much more. We don't do any of the Fife carparks now in summer much preferring to do them when things have died down a bit. Scotland can be awesome in winter when most of the motorhomes are parked in peoples driveways, and the cars are far fewer. As for the Hebrides hopefully next year we will head to Barra and work our way up. We were supposed to go to Tiree a few years ago, but had to postpone, I intend to visit Tiree and Coll also.
Don't miss Vatersay out. Great cakes as well as pleasant parkups at the Community cafe. Don't know the winter opening hours, but I'm sure Donald will be able to tell you.

Don't miss Vatersay out. Great cakes as well as pleasant parkups at the Community cafe. Don't know the winter opening hours, but I'm sure Donald will be able to tell you.
We would do the isles in spring April/May.
I was in Vatersay many years ago, before I had a van.
Chhers.

Back