know any inexpensive sites in lake district.....

isle of skye

From reading here reg I get the feeling wild camping in lake district not that easy, so do any of you have details of reasonably priced sites around area as we may be there mid October I am happy even without loads of facilities can do even without hook up just don't want to pay loads thanks. in fact the basic the better they are usually nice and quiet.

Shepherds View site at Torver is £12.50 with ehu and £10.00 without. No facilities just water and waste/toilet dump. 5mins walk to a couple of pubs and nice local walks. Only about 10/12 pitches though. We've stopped a couple of times.

Sella farm in the Duddon valley, below where I live, there is a C&C farm site at Broughton Mills and a friend of mine has a small site at Woodland, also C&C listed. All very quiet and lovely locations.

Shepherds View site at Torver is £12.50 with ehu and £10.00 without. No facilities just water and waste/toilet dump. 5mins walk to a couple of pubs and nice local walks. Only about 10/12 pitches though. We've stopped a couple of times.

Church house pub in Torver has a 6 van site at rear ,have stayed there but not sure of the price now.
The Church House Inn in Torver, Torver Pub Review and Details. Not that close to the touristy bits of the lakes though.

I spent a week wild camping int he Lakes with no problems, all the POI's were from this site and all were great. Give it a go, I found campsites to be expensive.

We used
POI's this weekend ,be warned though the one overlooking Derwentwater ( set back from the road amongst rocks ) the road is used as a race track by youths during the night :(

+1 for Millers Field, Ambleside used it very handy for town Graham who runs it is a nice guy.

The church house is now shut as enterprise Inns priced them out and removed one of the finest pub restaurants in the Lake District .
There are two wild camping spots within a mile and a half of Torver if you don't need facilities.

Chappel Style, baysbrown

Baysbrown Farm Campsite

Its £12.50 for a van and two adults. Free showers (4 of them in the male block, dont know about ladies ) no hook up though. It is a narrow entrance with a narrow bridge so maybe worth checking before you commit your vehicle. Great views and great site.

Thanks for all your replies guys

Well I guess I may re-think the lakes ten to twelve pound is fine but with such little choice may just keep going up just wanted some other options if Scotland weather looks rough, hill walking and climbing being on our to do lists. What about the Dales etc up all that way because doing two days at Alton Towers probably in full Halloween dress just to please daughter uhh! and as half way up thought would add on few more days.

Syke Farm Campsite, Buttermere Village, Buttermere, Cumbria. 017687 70222 which is now apparently "cool" but don't let that put you off.

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/england/lake-district/cumbria/222-syke-farm-camping-ground

The campsite is tents only (over a footbridge) but last December I camped on top of my Land Rover in the field next to it. Funnily enough as temperatures plummeted to minus 10, I had the place to myself.

Can't remember how much it cost but the toilet/showers good and some good humoured abusive banter from the farmer.

Stunning location but check the opening hours (and prices!) of the two pubs out of season. Friendly cafe.

Well I guess I may re-think the lakes ten to twelve pound is fine but with such little choice may just keep going up just wanted some other options if Scotland weather looks rough, hill walking and climbing being on our to do lists. What about the Dales etc up all that way because doing two days at Alton Towers probably in full Halloween dress just to please daughter uhh! and as half way up thought would add on few more days.

As was pointed out in another post, there are plenty of wild camping spots around the Lake District.

I visited during August and had no trouble whatsoever finding some great places to stop - so now it will be a cinch!

We spent a few days up there almost a Year ago....end of Oct./Beg. of Nov. (Half-Term) & parked up behind Coniston Water & then by Derwent Water, (after crawling up the Honister Pass!) Great spots if You're not driving anything too big...........

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back