Kielder Castle car park now allowing overnight stops @£10 per night

Good Idea,but for £15 you can go on farm site with water and toilet point hopefully have some change!

Not taking the hump chap.....

Just can't be bothered wasting my time sharing stuff for folks to sit and quimm about....
Don't like it...
Don't stop there Simples... Like I said I'll not bother in future

It's a forum, many will look at the thread and think "That's interesting" but not post, others will make comments that you might not like, it goes with the territory, I wouldn't take it personally.

Myself, I'm glad you posted the info, I do think it could work out overpriced if including pre 9pm and post 9am, but at least I now know the option is there.

In my view, Most information related to our lifestyle if correct is Worth Posting, It’s up to the ‘Reader’ of the post to choose how they act on it, If at all.
Thanks for the information, &?keep it coming Matey.

Moan when they don't provide anywhere
Moan it's too expensive when they do....
Frankly if I was involved I simply wouldn't bother providing anywhere....
No one is holding a gun against anyone's head... Prefer to go to France instead...
Cool more space for me without folks wingeing about things.

I couldn't care less how much it is because I usually camp well away from others anyway.
I'll just not bother posting stuff like this in future as its almost pointless.

This is very welcome and be good for the mountain bikers and walkers among us.
The good thing is all this money will be ploughed into the forest trails and bike trials, which I for one love there.
Being from that area I would love to come back down for a visit and stay there.

Sadly, up here, the FC have height barriers, pressure of over use with concerns on the environment, policy and inconsiderate parking, hogging many spaces led to this

a fiver for a car park where you can't get your stuff out and there's no facilities sounds fair , but a tenner is 5 meals to some , so if you think a tenner or 15 quid is a reasonable charge just to pull up for the night and get your head own then go for it. they could easily charge a fiver , but the greedy landowners have gone for the higher figure - less people will go for it, but they'll pay more so it's a winner. this is why i have rarely wild camped in this country over the last 35 years

It's a forum, many will look at the thread and think "That's interesting" but not post, others will make comments that you might not like, it goes with the territory, I wouldn't take it personally.

Myself, I'm glad you posted the info, I do think it could work out overpriced if including pre 9pm and post 9am, but at least I now know the option is there.

Each to their own we all have a choice at least the FC are making an effort to welcome motorhomes even if it is a trifle expensive..

Yes good information but , I think , overpriced . OP shouldn't take it personally .
I think the FC have actually made a mistake . Those who fancy stopping there should get in touch some organisations do listen

Roast dinners South East

No it's not, but that's why some of us go there. I can spend 2 weeks in France including ferry costs for less than it costs for 2 weeks in the UK with like for like facilities.

OK, the FC are using their ticket machines as a payment method for the overnight parking, so why not have a 24 hour charge, commencing from the time the ticket is purchased? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that's often the way it's done in France. Fairer all round.

Sadly though, I also don't expect this to last too long, as I fear it will be abused. There are already people on Facebook asking what's wrong with having a "little" camp fire. I will be glad to be proved wrong though.

Try king Ethelbert at reculver Herne Bay...their food is traditional, good decent portions and fair price!
Or Harry's cafe on the seafront Herne bay if you want "proper" stew and dumplings

Yes good information but , I think , overpriced . OP shouldn't take it personally .
I think the FC have actually made a mistake . Those who fancy stopping there should get in touch some organisations do listen

I have. The response was that it is very much a trial and will be subject to ongoing revue, but that the revenue generated will be put into the upkeep and improvement of the forest park for the benefit of visitors.

I responded that I have no objection to making a reasonable contribution to the park in principle, but it would be nice if the period of time allowed for parking was sufficiently wide to enable me to make reasonable use and enjoyment of the forest park too, and on that basis I do not see it as currently meeting my needs!

Please do. I always enjoy reading your posts. The nature of a forum means there is always likely to be a discussion.

I just think in general that this country seems to want to extract as much money out of everyone as they can, rather than pricing things at a reasonable level that might attract even more custom. Just because I think that, doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same.

I rarely eat out, for example, because I detest paying what seems to me to be a small fortune for food that is messed about with to make it sound grander than it actually is, and served on lumps of wood or other ridiculous items instead of plates. Judging by how busy a lot of these establishments seem to be, that must just be the exiled Yorkshireman in me. Obviously not everyone feels the same.

I suspect the FC will probably be overrun with customers. At £10 for 24 hours, I would happily join them. But sadly, the pricing structure they have adopted is not for me and I fear even if it encourages other organisations to consider motorhome facilities, the pricing will likely follow suit at levels which are currently expected on "proper" sites. The end result will be to encourage those sites to increase their prices to reflect the additional facilities they offer. No doubt plenty of mugs will end up paying whatever is asked and I will feel even more priced out of the market.

Just ignore me if you like. I often catch myself turning into Victor Meldrew these days. I think when you reach a certain age you no longer feel that you have to put up with all the **** that society expects. If anyone knows where I can find a pub meal of roast beef, potatoes and Yorkshire pud with English mustard and gravy in the south east let me know. Everywhere round here nowdays expects me to eat rare hand-cooked beef artfully drizzled with this and sprinkled with that, and looks at me aghast if I even dare ask for mustard. It's all crap as far as I'm concerned.

Rant over. Sorry :sad:
Brilliant post Deneb, I'm with you all the way, theres far too many people happy to get fleeced. Paying £15 for a Car Park with zero facilities is just a sick joke. Doesnt anybody ever question value for money anymore. Like you, don't get me started on the expensive pretentious modern Art crap thats being served as meals these days, that isn't substancial enough to fill a medium sized Hamster. Rip Off Britain everywhere you go.

Brilliant post Deneb, I'm with you all the way, theres far too many people happy to get fleeced. Paying £15 for a Car Park with zero facilities is just a sick joke. Doesnt anybody ever question value for money anymore. Like you, don't get me started on the expensive pretentious modern Art crap thats being served as meals these days, that isn't substancial enough to fill a medium sized Hamster. Rip Off Britain everywhere you go.

The above spot has toilets and AFAIK a water tap....
What more do you want?
Hook up/heated pool and waiter service bringing free cocktails

The above spot has toilets and AFAIK a water tap....
What more do you want?
Hook up/heated pool and waiter service bringing free cocktails

Neither thanks, just a feeling of not being Fleeced and taken for a ride would be sufficient, and also not to give them the satisfaction that another Sucker has just rolled into Town.

Neither thanks, just a feeling of not being Fleeced and taken for a ride would be sufficient, and also not to give them the satisfaction that another Sucker has just rolled into Town.

I'd stick with Aldi carparks then.... Or laybys littered with 'truckers Tizer' perhaps.

As I said previously there seems to be a certain divide between folks that are happy to pay AND those that want everything for nowt....

It's becoming very clear that 'some' folks involved in this "wild camping" forum...
Aren't actually interested in wild camping as such BUT more "camping with facilities for free".

Personally, I would gladly pay £10 for such a spot. It's a lovely location.

When I consider what I have to pay if I use a hospital car park when my wife is ill, or what a lot of town centre car parks charge for an hour, it seems a small price to pay.

It's not worth arguing over really, either you pay it or you stop elsewhere! :D

I was grateful to the OP for the information.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back