JUTA CMP24 Solar Regulator

highlandron

Free Member
I was given this old Solar Regulator years ago and have recently brought it out for tests. Appears to be working OK. I set it up on the garden table with a small 5W solar panel (max voltage 17.64V) a 12V 7 AH battery and a submersible pump as a load. I haven't been able to source specific info on the internet as to the model but I know it's 24/12 auto sensing and the red button on the top left switches on the "load" output. The small silver ( what appears to be an LED mount) but is actually a diode with the end wire exposed, has me baffled. It's at the bottom left of the device in the photo, if anyone knows its purpose I be interested to know. I may use the setup just to keep my leisure battery maintained when we're off grid or grass only.
IMG_20220510_225653_577.jpg

It will be an old pwm unit, bin it and buy a proper duel MPPT unit, 5w panel is a toy, you will require at min 100w but 200w best if using two batteries around 200amps.
solar duel a.png

I second that, MPPT is the way to go for getting more from your panel, I just bought this one so it charges the engine battery too.

I have to say that although it works ok, the instruction for use are really rubbish, installation is well covered though so I just leave it on auto.

I second that, MPPT is the way to go for getting more from your panel, I just bought this one so it charges the engine battery too.

I have to say that although it works ok, the instruction for use are really rubbish, installation is well covered though so I just leave it on auto.
That's the Epever unit with slightly different frock on it. I have this one and it just gets on with it. Having said that, years ago we spent three weeks in the Outer Hebrides with 20W panel with a Pwm controller taped to the back of it and crocodile clips to fasten on to the 100Ah leisure battery. The up side, of course is we posted the panel at the sun so got the maximum out of it.

Cheers

H

That's the Epever unit with slightly different frock on it. I have this one and it just gets on with it. Having said that, years ago we spent three weeks in the Outer Hebrides with 20W panel with a Pwm controller taped to the back of it and crocodile clips to fasten on to the 100Ah leisure battery. The up side, of course is we posted the panel at the sun so got the maximum out of it.

Cheers

H
You would be lucky to get one amp out of it midday, not a lot of use except for holding a starter battery up

I was given this old Solar Regulator years ago and have recently brought it out for tests. Appears to be working OK. I set it up on the garden table with a small 5W solar panel (max voltage 17.64V) a 12V 7 AH battery and a submersible pump as a load. I haven't been able to source specific info on the internet as to the model but I know it's 24/12 auto sensing and the red button on the top left switches on the "load" output. The small silver ( what appears to be an LED mount) but is actually a diode with the end wire exposed, has me baffled. It's at the bottom left of the device in the photo, if anyone knows its purpose I be interested to know. I may use the setup just to keep my leisure battery maintained when we're off grid or grass only. View attachment 108586
Would seem a shame to bin it as you already have the kit, and it makes an interesting learning exercise in solar!

PWM pulls the panel voltage down to the battery, so the best you can ever get from your 5 watt panel is a little over 0.4 amp of charge, but that's actually not a bad match to trickle charge your 7Ah battery.

Not much help for charging the average 90Ah plus leisure battery sadly, but some charge is better than none!

Use what you have and learn before splashing the cash and making a mistake - like most of us do at some point 😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back