Just to praise CAL MAC

Fisherman

We were supposed to travel to Tiree on Thursday but owing to a family issue at the last minute we had to cancel our plans. I contacted CalMac hours before the sailing, just to inform them that we could not travel in case someone else who had not booked could get on board. I was surprised when the girl said no problems, we will hold your booking till another date. I informed her that could be next year and she said that is not a problem. First class Cal Mac, I wish others would act in this way.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Last edited:

Borders2

We too have had excellent service from them. They sent us a text message to say that the sailing we were on had been cancelled due to a breakdown and could we get to port x instead. It happened that we were already almost there so it was very straightforward all in all.

Fisherman

Shame you had to cancel your trip. The islands are going nowhere and will wait for you. 😂👍 I felt bad about the crofter I had booked with. When I do go over next year, I have a bottle of malt for them You never know he might even give me a glass:)

2cv

We were supposed to travel to Tiree on Thursday but owing to a family issue at the last minute we had to cancel our plans. I contacted CalMac hours before the sailing, just to inform them that we could not travel in case someone else who had not booked could get on board. I was surprised when the girl said no problems, we will hold your booking till another date. I informed her that could be next year and she said that is not a problem. First class Cal Mac, I wish BA and others would act in this way. To be fair, BA do sell flexible and refundable tickets.

Fisherman

Just been to Arran via CalMac and very impressed with the service and cost. The cost Rolyan is due to the Scottish government. Years ago before I got my first Motorhome it cost me £130 return for my car my wife and I. If the road tariff equivalent scheme was not in place it would probably have cost you £170-200 instead of £47 for a 6m Motorhome with driver and passenger. Anyway more importantly Arran is s great place for wild camping, we are heading over there for 6 nights next month. Hope you had s good time.

runnach

Do you have to book the Arran crossing, or can you just rock up, like you can at Lochaline?

Fisherman

Do you have to book the Arran crossing, or can you just rock up, like you can at Lochaline? Depends runnach when you are going. But I always book in advance it’s simple to do at their website. I have seen cars turned away or told to wait till a ferry later in the day who had not booked. My advice is book before you go. https://www.calmac.co.uk/

Rolyan57

The cost Rolyan is due to the Scottish government. Years ago before I got my first Motorhome it cost me £130 return for my car my wife and I. If the road tariff equivalent scheme was not in place it would probably have cost you £170-200 instead of £47 for a 6m Motorhome with driver and passenger. Anyway more importantly Arran is s great place for wild camping, we are heading over there for 6 nights next month. Hope you had s good time. Yep, very impressed with the subsidy. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone. Had a great time, 6 nights, 3 on sites and 3 wild camping (found via the app). Saw stags n seals n otters.

Rolyan57

Do you have to book the Arran crossing, or can you just rock up, like you can at Lochaline? Like Fisherman says, it’s worth booking if you can. It was still quite busy last week. Double check the crossings, there are some (not many) that have a height restriction; it’s all clear on the website.

Borders2

My advice would be to always book. If you are booked they are very flexible so long as you tell them what is happening. You can always catch a later ferry but if you are booked you are guaranteed a spot. Also, it helps if you are booked if you want an earlier sailing.

runnach

Need to be west side for the 18th next month, which is the Friday of October break, only visited Arran via our boat, be good to go for a few days, that is as long as mrs R can manage MH step and raised bed.

Fisherman

Last year I did this on Arran hope it helps I have been travelling to Arran for over 40 years now, it’s a lovely island with varying views and local communities. But most importantly it’s geat for wild camping and due to the Scottish government subsidising the ferry crossings I get my 5. 97m chausson 510 over for just over £30 return plus £15 return for me and my wife. The crossing from ardrossan takes 55 mins, and you are required at the port 30 mins before boarding. You arrive on the islands largest town Brodick, in the distance you can see goat fell 2896ft a hill we have done many times both from Brodick, and from Corrie which is six miles north from Brodick. Brodick has shops, cafes, restaurants, a Chinese take away, and much more. You can camp for free in the old coop car park near the beach. There is toilet facilities there, and a great beach. You could pop round to Brodick castle about a mile away or visit the local brewery or for the ladies visit Arran Aromatics. From...

Fisherman

Quality, FM. If we manage to go, I just read through my trip itinerary!! Thank you. We are heading over next month for 6 nights five wild one at the campsite in kildonan. Enjoy Arran.

Rolyan57

Having just spent a week on Arran, that review and itinerary by Fisherman is spot on. The only thing it doesn’t mention is advice to call into the Old Pier Head Cafe in Whiting Bay and get one of the best sausage rolls you will ever eat. Meanwhile, at Kildonan....

Last edited: