just ripped out the interior on the van

on my lt i took out the bulkhead first as the seats cover half the gap anyway,then the bed can come from the back of the drivers seat,gains about 4 or 5 inches.so i have an "L"shaped seat there,the front sldes out to form a 2 metre bed.then took the kitchen all the way to the back door. on the passenger side started at the back with a shower up to the wheelarch,smallish but adequate then a 5 foot seat bed then a shallow wardrobe up to the sliding door.this layout means i can use the van for work i.e.loading ply thru the back and when the bed is out the kitchen and shower can be accessed,and as there are no walls sticking out in the middle it feels more spacious

on my lt i took out the bulkhead first as the seats cover half the gap anyway,then the bed can come from the back of the drivers seat,gains about 4 or 5 inches.so i have an "L"shaped seat there,the front sldes out to form a 2 metre bed.then took the kitchen all the way to the back door. on the passenger side started at the back with a shower up to the wheelarch,smallish but adequate then a 5 foot seat bed then a shallow wardrobe up to the sliding door.this layout means i can use the van for work i.e.loading ply thru the back and when the bed is out the kitchen and shower can be accessed,and as there are no walls sticking out in the middle it feels more spacious

yeah its hard working it out so most spacious feel but eveything inside i need. kitchen area is coming along, sort of worked out in my mind where things will be going.........i think lol

cool.
yeah its damn noisy having to slam hard the side door with force.

To avoid having to slam the sliding door I fitted a strap handle (using a short length from a one inch wide ratchet strap) near the top rear inside the sliding door, this means that I can slide the door gently untill nearly closed and then pull the strap handle to pull the rear of the door inwards without too much noise.

I have a similar strap arrangement on mine. It needs quite a tug to compress the rubber seal but it works. I only usually use it on campsites at night.

For what it's worth, I would say the most important thing to consider (even ideal layout) in a panel van conversion is avoiding internal condensation, even if your camping is restricted to southern Europe.
In the 5 vans I've converted over the years I've employed different materials/ways to overcome the problem. Some more successful than others.
My present van (as Pics. on "show us your van" thread) layout has been altered 2 or 3 times over the years to suit changed circumstances, such as campsite useage originally then change to wild camping, eg. more space for gas bottles required.
I've now ended up with something of a comprimise ie not an ideal layout.
As for noisy sliding doors it helps if a window or vent is opened whilst closing.

For what it's worth, I would say the most important thing to consider (even ideal layout) in a panel van conversion is avoiding internal condensation, even if your camping is restricted to southern Europe.
In the 5 vans I've converted over the years I've employed different materials/ways to overcome the problem. Some more successful than others.
My present van (as Pics. on "show us your van" thread) layout has been altered 2 or 3 times over the years to suit changed circumstances, such as campsite useage originally then change to wild camping, eg. more space for gas bottles required.
I've now ended up with something of a comprimise ie not an ideal layout.
As for noisy sliding doors it helps if a window or vent is opened whilst closing.

I have plenty of time to work on mine until the spring, but want to get it right as much as i can first time round.

yeah i always have a vent open, its just a old noisy, hard to shut door without needing to get it up to a fast speep to shut right.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back