Its batteries again, sorry

Harrytherid

If two batteries appear to have died but may just have a little bit of life, is it harmful to a new battery to leave an old one in place when installing a new one as one feels there may be a smidgeon of life left in it; or must one remove it to give the new one the best chance of a long life.

Regards, Harry

If two batteries appear to have died but may just have a little bit of life, is it harmful to a new battery to leave an old one in place when installing a new one as one feels there may be a smidgeon of life left in it; or must one remove it to give the new one the best chance of a long life.

Regards, Harry
Renew all together....
Leaving a damaged/tired battery connected to a bank will end with the good batteries discharging into the knackered one...
And you'll end up with a SET of knackered ones.

im presuming the two batterys are wired in parrallel ? if so you need two new batterys or throw them both out to the scrap man and only use one

Never mix old and new,why or how did they die, were you not charging them or are they old.

Buy a new pair so they match then take the old ones to the local scrapyard and weigh them in to help offset the cost of new ones.

You`ll probably be pleasently surprised at what you`ll get for the old ones :)

The knackered one would drag the new one down, but if one is actually good try just running with that one on its own, it might be enough.

Thanks lads, glad I asked. Confirmed my own suspicion. Out they both go and in goes the new to run on its own until I can afford another to go with it.

Regards, Harry

It will have to be as long as it takes, witzend, those lead carbon batteries are quite expensive for a pensioner and also I shall have to make and fit a new battery well under the under seat locker (the old one is too small) and that is a job for warm dry weather. I suppose I could do a temporary job IN that locker as it is under used in the winter. Her ladyship may take some convincing, we shall see. I get on with the sub passenger seat installation later this morning and will reserve judgement until I have done that.

Regards, Harry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back