Isle of Wight

Martin P

Hi all. Any thoughts on best/cheapest ferry for Isle of wight.
Any other I O W related thoughts
Thanks.
M

Hi, meeting a friend down in the New Forest area next month and we intend to travel around Hampshire / Dorset and the IOW. The advice Ive been given is go across on the ferry as foot passengers and do a bus tour. I checked the ferry price to take a T5 across and I was quoted £88. Hence we will wildcamp and use sites but do a day trip to the IOW . Hope this helps Victor

We went for a week once at Christmas once. I know this is the Wildies but we got a deal with the Waverley campsite at east Cowes which included the ferry. I did it through the site owner (bit better than what you can get online) I think it was about £130 for the week inc pitch, hookup and the ferry. Might be worth looking into as I didnt get the impression there were many great wilding spots on the island.

Hi all. Any thoughts on best/cheapest ferry for Isle of wight.
Any other I O W related thoughts
Thanks.
M
Just come back after spending a few days on the isle.

I used Red Funnel and found them to be ok
Allowed me to jump into an earlier ferry no problem

Osbourne house was a bit hectic .too many visitors allowed in at one time and frog marched through

We checked today and to take a 7mtr motorhome across it was £204 return though there is a cheaper option that saves about £25 and it all varies by about £3/5 depending on the time of sailing.

Thanks all.
Some good options for me to look through there.
Probably a lot cheaper to go to Wales!
M

What I found with the IOW car ferries is they pack the cars in really very tight, frightening really and of course they are expensive for the distance covered.

IOW residents on the island get ferry tickets at a cheaper price, if you know anyone over there.

Being a ferry or hovercraft foot passenger is much more relaxing.

If you are going to be using a campsite over there book it through them as they get really cheap deals with the ferry companies.

Went over last week, £86 return for a 5m long, 2.7m tall van on Portsmouth/fishbourne route through c&c club. Can't say felt particularly packed in, no more so than cross channel.

Some lovely quiet sleepy spots, interesting history stuff (military, maritime, rockets!), dinosaurs, coastal walking, woodland walking, dinosaurs, donkey powered castles, garlic, beaches, dinosaurs, botanical gardens, pubs and dinosaurs.

sunset.jpg.

Last edited:
I live on IOW.

Probably the best resource for getting discounts on the ferry is this site Isle of Wight ferry discounts - save money on Red Funnel and Wightlink ferries with discount codes and loopholes - Isle of Wight Guru

Have seen very few wildcampers here. Like mentioned before the campsites will get you discounted ferry travel if booking with them

Its a cracking place though. Sort of like a mini England in terms of variety of Landscape all within a 70mile coastline. Nowhere is more than half an hour away!

Big discount with the caravan and camping club if using wightlink and travelling well out of peak daytime hours on a motorhome. Often around £25 single.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back