Isle of Mull

Forresbroons

We are planning on going to the Isle of Mull soon, do any fellow members any tips please on places to stay or visit. We have ear marked Calgary bay, the old post office, Fidden Farm campsite for stopovers and a visit to Iona. We are hoping to stay on the isle for about a week to 10 days.

Many thanks

Keith

Last edited:
When we last visited Mull 2 years ago, Calgary Bay looked like the sort of place to avoid. The beach itself is fine but the wild camping site was overcrowded and dirty looking.
Fidden farm was not what I had imagined. It was a much bigger site than I thought it would be (like a CL) and quite expensive.
It's a nice area round Iona but again very busy in summer with lots of coaches coming and going.

Make sure when you go to Mull you do the trip to Staffa and fingels cave.

We did it four years ago and it’s a stunning island. You got one hour on the island and it cost then £30pp.

The roads on Mull are challenging, mainly single track but with plenty of passing places. The road from Salen to Tobermory is a nightmare it’s single track until you get two miles from Tobermory and carries far to much traffic.
There are some nice spots around Loch na keal, and ulva is worth a visit.

I am surprised at the comments about fidden farm, I had only ever read good reports before.
But I have never been there.

Enjoy what is a stunning island.

Last edited:
I was at Calgary a couple of weeks ago - only one there, and a great spot, although the gate has now been narrowed to prevent caravans getting in.
Probably best avoided at busy hol times.

Anywhere on Gribun is good as well.
I have been coming here for around 30 years (for the rallying every October)

Also stayed in the overflow car park at Aros park - very quiet, and some lovely walks.

Dave.

I was at Calgary a couple of weeks ago - only one there, and a great spot, although the gate has now been narrowed to prevent caravans getting in.
Probably best avoided at busy hol times.

Anywhere on Gribun is good as well.
I have been coming here for around 30 years (for the rallying every October)

Also stayed in the overflow car park at Aros park - very quiet, and some lovely walks.

Dave.

Is the gate wide enough for a coachbuilt motorhome, or just campervans?

It would be tight, mainly because of the approach angle, and drop from the road, but then a lot of the smaller roads on mull have tight bends and bridges.
Worth a look though.
Dave.

It’s tight and on a slope. There’s a bigger car park for day visitors so you could spend the day there and overnight elsewhere.

Grand tour of Scottish Islands (Mull)

Today Sunday 14th April BBC2 at 6.00pm

Paul Merton is pretty good at these programmes, so you may get some ideas for when you visit.

Cheers
Rod

Today Sunday 14th April BBC2 at 6.00pm

Paul Merton is pretty good at these programmes, so you may get some ideas for when you visit.

Cheers
Rod

Just checked the Sky programme planner intending to record it and the golf is on, hopefully the powers that be will reschedule it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back