Is wild camping possible anywhere near Kielder Forest / Lake??

Grey Luddite

I'd like to spend a night or two (in the spring/summer) wild camping in/near the Kielder Forest or lake in Northumberland. OS maps show lots of car parks, but WildCamping doesn't have any reports on any of them. Is this because overnight wild camping is not tolerated (outside the "official" campsites)?? Or can you pretty much stop overnight anywhere, where you're obviously out of anybody's way?

Any advice gratefully received!

Here are quite a few locations around the lake, that are suitable.
You are a full member so you can use the wc location app

Does the pub you used to stay at still allow overnighting?

Does the pub you used to stay at still allow overnighting?
It had closed last time we were up that way ....
However I believe it is open/opening again under new management ...

The castle/ carpark is literally on the doorstep so worth a call in to them ...

This is a link to their page ....as it states it was all a bit hit and miss at one point ....

Thankfully things appear to be looking a bit better now ...
Cracking spot and fab food/beer when we were last there .

Here are quite a few locations around the lake, that are suitable.
You are a full member so you can use the wc location app
Thanks, but I'm confused. When I use the Location app, nobody has reported any locations around the lake at all, that I can see?

Some these are public car parks with overnight paying possible ...
How tolerant the rangers are to overnighting I can't say ....
BUT it is promoted at the castle car park ?
Screenshot_20240101_123636_searchforsites.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_123622_searchforsites.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_123606_searchforsites.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_123550_searchforsites.jpg

I’d echo the ‘midge’ warning too, we left after first night having paid for 3, much worse than I’ve ever experienced in Scotland

Some these are public car parks with overnight paying possible ...
How tolerant the rangers are to overnighting I can't say ....
BUT it is promoted at the castle car park ?View attachment 126734View attachment 126735View attachment 126736View attachment 126737
Thanks for these - I presume that these screenshots come from some other app/system then? (I don't see this when I use the WildCamping Location app!)

But I'm still a bit surprised - these screenshots show "guide price". Does anyone out there have any recent experience that you CAN actually stop overnight at these various car parks? i.e. does a ranger actually come round and take money? Or do they expect you to "buy a ticket" and display it, e.g. when you enter the area??

It all suggests to me that either the rangers don't think it should be legit (in which case I'd like to know before I set out), or that it IS legit and that you are expected to pay - would this explain why there are no CR symbols on the WildCamping Location app?

Please, advice anyone? I'm confused!

Thanks for these - I presume that these screenshots come from some other app/system then? (I don't see this when I use the WildCamping Location app!)

But I'm still a bit surprised - these screenshots show "guide price". Does anyone out there have any recent experience that you CAN actually stop overnight at these various car parks? i.e. does a ranger actually come round and take money? Or do they expect you to "buy a ticket" and display it, e.g. when you enter the area??

It all suggests to me that either the rangers don't think it should be legit (in which case I'd like to know before I set out), or that it IS legit and that you are expected to pay - would this explain why there are no CR symbols on the WildCamping Location app?

Please, advice anyone? I'm confused!
Campervans/motorhomes are actively (or were ) promoted as being able to stay for a fee at the castle car park

The others are copied from other sites to give you something to work from ...

You'll need to check IF 'Wild camping' is allowed ...
From what I've read online some folks have had no problems ....others have had a few issues .
But yes there are 'wardens' that patrol and check tickets in screens etc .

We where up at kielder water last summer and there are about 5 different place to wild camp overnight at about £10 per night pay at parking meters we unfortunately didn't know at the time and was stopping at a cl site nearby and would have differently used the kielder overnight stops

We where up at kielder water last summer and there are about 5 different place to wild camp overnight at about £10 per night pay at parking meters we unfortunately didn't know at the time and was stopping at a cl site nearby and would have differently used the kielder overnight stops
This is really useful. Many thanks for your help!

Not been up there since before Covid to stay the night but there used to be quite a few places.

I'd like to spend a night or two (in the spring/summer) wild camping in/near the Kielder Forest or lake in Northumberland. OS maps show lots of car parks, but WildCamping doesn't have any reports on any of them. Is this because overnight wild camping is not tolerated (outside the "official" campsites)?? Or can you pretty much stop overnight anywhere, where you're obviously out of anybody's way?

Any advice gratefully received!
Have a look at Fontburn Reservoir car park. There is a charge but it is well worth it.

I was there last summer (2023) and as far as I remember, you pay at one of the main car-parks and this gives you access to overnight in many of the others.
We actually stopped in the Elf Kirk View car park after paying at the visitors centre carpark.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back